Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Even better, let's mothball the current subway from Finch to Sheppard and make those north-of-Toronto freeloaders get downtown on their own dime...

They do purposefully constrain capacity on Sheppard to make it unappealing. Ridership exists for better than 6 minute AM peak frequencies.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eglinton service is set based on congestion caused at Bloor station on the Yonge line. Stations have a maximum safe capacity which the fire chief will enforce if too many customers loiter on the platforms unable to squeeze into a train. At some point they'll be forced to stop feeding people into Yonge during regular service; rejecting riders from the newest expansion(s) are the most likely places to do it.

Another option would be a peak surcharge (maybe $1) for AM southbound travel between Bloor and Dundas. $60M/year (AM/PM peak hours, both Yonge and University line) from that surcharge isn't much for expansion (1/6th of a short DRL?), but might encourage some to walk that trip or change their travel time.

Metrolinx fare-integration is leaning toward solving the issue that last way. By separating the price for rapid transit from local service, they can simply bump the pricing until demand falls below capacity. Long distance trips (York region to Union) would have the highest prices in their presented model. I'm not yet sure if building the DRL or boosting pricing is their primary solution yet.

Last edited:
No, I do not believe that under-investment in the suburbs is a good thing for the region. Quite the opposite.

That's the tired go-to in these debates: 'If you don't support the project I like, then clearly you don't support transit'. Somehow. Then there's there's the inevitable polarized fear mongering: e.g 'without 5km of subway, a regional municipality 1,800 sq km in size has no choice but to sprawl...the blood is on your hands!'.

It's somewhat galling that the DRL only came to prominence via the Yonge extension. it shows the extent to which TTC/council let things fester, get distracted by politics etc. In the meantime, it's been SEVEN YEARS since then and Toronto has only just started on the DRL planning. It's a bit hard to cut them too much slack when they talk about what a huge priority it is. A TPAP takes six months.

Hm. But Metrolinx (our regional transportation authority) took even longer. They begrudgingly acknowledged the necessity of a Relief Line several years after Toronto did, and are at least a year behind Toronto in their own planning (which is being undertaken alongside York Region). Surprising it took them so long, seeing that our RTP was planned and modeled almost a decade ago and this should've been apparent to them right from the start.

This only "makes more sense regionally" if you assume everyone in the 905 will always want to go to Union Station. Not only won't they in the future, they already don't. What you DO want to do is (to the extent you can) foster a multi-nodal region where people can travel to different destinations (including FROM Toronto TO Richmond Hill or Mississauga or wherever) because the capacity of the Yonge line and even Union Station is finite. The radial system is obsolete and scotch-taping new bits and pieces will only get you so far. That's really the entire logic of the entire Provincial planning system (and it's hardly an Ontario-only idea).

I'm not playing us vs. them at all. I think we're all one big region and Toronto isn't really coming around to that way of thinking. I think Toronto's neglect of their own needs (some of which is not entirely their fault) is putting the larger region at risk, at least in the long term. It's the attitude that, "TTC is too crowded for YR residents; they should take GO," that's Us vs. Them. People will take the transit service that meets their needs, not the one foisted upon them by someone who thinks they know. It's not 1967 anymore and GO service to Union Station is not the be-all-and-end-all of transportation planning. Clearly you want the people who need that service to have it, but equally clearly a Yonge extension will be filled with riders because not everyone is going to/from Union Station at rush hour the way they did 40 years ago.

Obviously not everybody is headed to Union. But about 80% boarding at RHC station are headed downtown (according to projections which excluded parallel GO improvements). And with GO improvements in place (i.e a major part of this "entire logic of the entire Provincial planning system", and arguably moreso today than in 2006) a rather significant number of would-be subway riders are to be headed to Union. Albeit using the faster, more obvious, and more regional option of commuter rail. According to this 'logic of our Provincial planning system', so many transit users in York Region would opt for GO that by 2031 the Yonge North extension would end up with less riders than every other subway project, not to mention numerous LRT projects. And that's taking into consideration RHC/LG's growth expectations being met.

And in the interim while people wait a quarter century for this subway, corridor improvements for bus service along Yonge have seemingly been ignored outright. Just a few month's worth of Yonge North's capital inflation could've paid for roadway upgrades (which really would amount to pennies on the dollar). So why hasn't York Region or Metrolinx initiated them? This 'subway or nothing' stance isn't Toronto's fault. And seeing that the extension is York Region's #1 transit priority (but doesn't crack Toronto's top 10), it's pretty clear where to point the finger when questioning why you'll be riding a slow bus for many, many years. All the while the Yonge North BCA concluded light rail as being sufficient for the Yonge corridor and RHC/LG's growth, but was excluded from any and all debate.

The Crosstown is needed because Eglinton is hopelessly congested with buses and is in desperate need of a rapid transit upgrade. I checked and the VIVA Blue bus to Finch station travelling along Yonge south of Steeles has a weekday ridership of 16,600. That is cute.

Here is the reality on Eglinton:
Eglinton West - 38,100
Eglinton East - 28,100
Lawrence East - 33,700
Flemingdon Park - 15,100

Thanks for posting these numbers. Wouldn't it make sense to also include the numbers from the TTC buses on Yonge that also feed Finch station? That would give a fairer comparison in my opinion.

I'm not a familiar with this route as I use to be but surely Viva isn't the only transit service feeding Finch station.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eglinton service is set based on congestion caused at Bloor station on the Yonge line. Stations have a maximum safe capacity which the fire chief will enforce if too many customers loiter on the platforms unable to squeeze into a train.

This is to me is the heart of why York Region has to wait for the Relief line, not development or ridership projections . We are talking about a potential for overcrowding to cost lives. Putting doors on the platform keeps people from falling but doesn't resolve crowd control issues on the stairs etc. Yonge-Bloor is not built for the projected crowd capacity, regardless of train frequency.

No one on this list would welcome a fatality so they can ask 'what municipality are they from?' so they can argue regional bias or whatever. It's the old conspiracy vs screwup thing. In this case, safety is the overwhelming value that trumps partisanship.

- Paul

We know that they will not be contributing to the operating subsidy for the Spadina extension into their territory. The agreement there is TTC gets the fares and the expenses; but we are not expecting fares to cover the expenses.

AGREEMENT is the key word there. It's not like York Region defeated Toronto in a war and imposed reparations in a treaty. Toronto also gets the parking revenue, incidentally. But fare integration is long overdue and inevitable. Maybe what we end up with will be "unfair" in several respects but it's still silly to look at the likely operating costs of a line not opening for 10-15 years and assume the funding structure won't change.

What York Region might "offer to cover" is therefore immaterial though I don't doubt that if you put it to them, "Fine, you want the subway - you have to give us [insert reasonable number] % of operating costs," they'd figure it out. It's weird one would assume otherwise given their obvious enthusiasm for the project, despite the Spadina agreement. Ask them, then complain about it.

(And that's without getting into whether the Yonge extension will even require a subsidy. My guess is it will be more profitable than Spadina and Scarborough combined.)

That's the tired go-to in these debates: 'If you don't support the project I like, then clearly you don't support transit'. Somehow. Then there's there's the inevitable polarized fear mongering: e.g 'without 5km of subway, a regional municipality 1,800 sq km in size has no choice but to sprawl...the blood is on your hands!'.

you can't really criticize Vaughan for undermining VMC by opening the whitebelt lands - as you often and rightfully do - and then circle back and say there's no connection between failing to develop their most significant hub and increasing sprawl. You're the one who has declared VMC a failure (in the past tense, even though the subway isn't there yet) because Vaughan hasn't doubled down on it, so are they connected or not?

Hm. But Metrolinx (our regional transportation authority) took even longer. They begrudgingly acknowledged the necessity of a Relief Line several years after Toronto did, and are at least a year behind Toronto in their own planning (which is being undertaken alongside York Region).

Because Metrolinx adopted the DRL in RESPONSE to Toronto prioritizing it. It was on their long-term list in Big Move 1.0 because Toronto had it on their long-term list in that era. Its importance certainly wasn't "apparent, right from the start" to Miller/Giambrone, or even Mayor McSubway, so why blame Metrolinx?

That's how they work, incorporating municipal priorities. In the meantime, their network relief study dwarfs what Toronto has done to date and it's pretty clear that Toronto is taking the lead from them when it comes to things like "the big J." Toronto may pull ahead when all their reports come out in the next few months but you're not really following cause-effect here.

Albeit using the faster, more obvious, and more regional option of commuter rail. According to this 'logic of our Provincial planning system', so many transit users in York Region would opt for GO that by 2031 the Yonge North extension would end up with less riders than every other subway project, not to mention numerous LRT projects. And that's taking into consideration RHC/LG's growth expectations being met.

Let's start by agreeing that, for a variety of reasons, the 2031 stuff is out the window. The Yonge Extension was supposed to be opening [checks watch] within a few months when all that was done. The Transitway is also "supposed" to be open by 2023 and who knows what's going on there. And, yes, a lot of the riders from there were also expected to transfer to the subway or GO, heading south.

Obviously all the modelling is a moving target at this point.

Blaming York Region for the lack of BRT on Yonge isn't really fair. They're the ones who've been left in the lurch and obviously don't want to tear up Yonge for a patchwork solution. If they'd been told 3 years ago that no subway funding was remotely imminent and they should do LRT instead, they probably would, if grudgingly. But surely even you can see the paradox of allocating them population, having them (AND Toronto) update their Secondary/OPs and then changing the underlying premise.

(And, as I've said before - Toronto would needs its own BRT-ROW south of Steeles and that was cancelled at the same time as the north ROW, so it's not fair to act like Toronto is taking the lead, any more than YR, on coming up with an interim solution. They just don't care about north-of-Finch riders and how they get there.)

It's not Toronto's fault, because we haven't got to the crunch point where the money is there and the capacity isn't. But Toronto doesn't get a free pass for prioritizing the DRL for decades.

And seeing that the extension is York Region's #1 transit priority (but doesn't crack Toronto's top 10), it's pretty clear where to point the finger when questioning why you'll be riding a slow bus for many, many years. All the while the Yonge North BCA concluded light rail as being sufficient for the Yonge corridor and RHC/LG's growth, but was excluded from any and all debate.

We both like cherry picking bits and pieces out of reports, eh? What does the BCA say? First:
"In consultation with Metrolinx and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and York Region three options were identified for study in this analysis.
Option 1: Subway Extension with 6 stations
Option 2: Subway Extension with 5 stations
Option 3: Bus Rapid Transit Extension with Richmond Hill GO Line service improvement"

So, you're right no other options were considered. But that's not METROLINX - That's something Toronto agreed to.

Then, does it actually say LRT is sufficient to meet all the growth and capacity needs and is therefore an adequate solution? Shockingly - not quite.

"The forecast demand in the corridor is stretching the capacity limit of a BRT.... An LRT system could have sufficient capacity, but would mean introducing a third technology for the 6.8 km route e.g. subway to Finch station, LRT to Richmond Hill Centre and then a second transfer to the VIVA rapid bus or other bus service. The many transfers would reduce the attractiveness of the service. A new LRT option was not considered for study by the joint York Region/TTC/Metrolinx technical team as the corridor was designated for a subway extension in The Big Move."

So, yes, we circle back to the Province wagging the dog a bit, but we also have exactly what I've said multiple times. It COULD have enough capacity but at a cost. Since creating a "seamless" system is a key part of The Big Move, that's not surprising it got ditched.

But, FWIW, I agree with you it should have been in the analysis. But that ship has sailed and I wasn't at the table. Unless I'm Alan Shefman, in which case perhaps I was...

Thanks for posting these numbers. Wouldn't it make sense to also include the numbers from the TTC buses on Yonge that also feed Finch station? That would give a fairer comparison in my opinion.
I'm not a familiar with this route as I use to be but surely Viva isn't the only transit service feeding Finch station.

It's not remotely the only service. Maybe someone has the precise numbers but I know the number of combined YRT + TTC buses going into Finch averages over 100 an hour.

VIVA Blue bus to Finch station travelling along Yonge south of Steeles has a weekday ridership of 16,600.

Viva blue is not the lone bus in this corridor. There are numerous others, and not all of them are full by itself (some are quite full, some are not because they are coming from different routes) and that's why the road is clogged by buses, not to mention the cars. Toronto Star reports there are 2500 buses per day in this corridor and I saw York.ca reports 2400. If the buses operate at 18 hours per day, that translate to 68 buses per direction per hour on average.

Lots of ppl in this thread suggesting subway should only ends at Steeles and YR should construct a BRT to connect to it. I agree it might work but It's just not politically and geographically viable.

Last edited:
you can't really criticize Vaughan for undermining VMC by opening the whitebelt lands - as you often and rightfully do - and then circle back and say there's no connection between failing to develop their most significant hub and increasing sprawl. You're the one who has declared VMC a failure (in the past tense, even though the subway isn't there yet) because Vaughan hasn't doubled down on it, so are they connected or not?

I didn't bring up Vaughan or VMC. I'm criticizing your leaps in logic from the previous page.

Because Metrolinx adopted the DRL in RESPONSE to Toronto prioritizing it. It was on their long-term list in Big Move 1.0 because Toronto had it on their long-term list in that era. Its importance certainly wasn't "apparent, right from the start" to Miller/Giambrone, or even Mayor McSubway, so why blame Metrolinx?

That's how they work, incorporating municipal priorities. In the meantime, their network relief study dwarfs what Toronto has done to date and it's pretty clear that Toronto is taking the lead from them when it comes to things like "the big J." Toronto may pull ahead when all their reports come out in the next few months but you're not really following cause-effect here.

Because they're the regional transportation authority, overseeing the RTP. When Toronto pointed out that a relief line was needed once the RTP numbers came in, it took Metrolinx quite a bit longer to conclude what Toronto was able to conclude early on.

Let's start by agreeing that, for a variety of reasons, the 2031 stuff is out the window. The Yonge Extension was supposed to be opening [checks watch] within a few months when all that was done. The Transitway is also "supposed" to be open by 2023 and who knows what's going on there. And, yes, a lot of the riders from there were also expected to transfer to the subway or GO, heading south.

Obviously all the modelling is a moving target at this point.

Blaming York Region for the lack of BRT on Yonge isn't really fair. They're the ones who've been left in the lurch and obviously don't want to tear up Yonge for a patchwork solution. If they'd been told 3 years ago that no subway funding was remotely imminent and they should do LRT instead, they probably would, if grudgingly. But surely even you can see the paradox of allocating them population, having them (AND Toronto) update their Secondary/OPs and then changing the underlying premise.

(And, as I've said before - Toronto would needs its own BRT-ROW south of Steeles and that was cancelled at the same time as the north ROW, so it's not fair to act like Toronto is taking the lead, any more than YR, on coming up with an interim solution. They just don't care about north-of-Finch riders and how they get there.)

It's not Toronto's fault, because we haven't got to the crunch point where the money is there and the capacity isn't. But Toronto doesn't get a free pass for prioritizing the DRL for decades.

Toronto wouldn't necessarily need a BRT. The updated 2013 BCA took into consideration TTC numbers and conclusions from 2011 which showed that corridor upgrades north of Steeles should be an interim solution if the project is delayed (*and corridor upgrades doesn't have to mean full on "BRT"). As well the 2013 BCA did in fact present an option of a phased approach of building to Steeles first.

We both like cherry picking bits and pieces out of reports, eh? What does the BCA say? First:
"In consultation with Metrolinx and the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) and York Region three options were identified for study in this analysis.
Option 1: Subway Extension with 6 stations
Option 2: Subway Extension with 5 stations
Option 3: Bus Rapid Transit Extension with Richmond Hill GO Line service improvement"

So, you're right no other options were considered. But that's not METROLINX - That's something Toronto agreed to.

Then, does it actually say LRT is sufficient to meet all the growth and capacity needs and is therefore an adequate solution? Shockingly - not quite.

"The forecast demand in the corridor is stretching the capacity limit of a BRT.... An LRT system could have sufficient capacity, but would mean introducing a third technology for the 6.8 km route e.g. subway to Finch station, LRT to Richmond Hill Centre and then a second transfer to the VIVA rapid bus or other bus service. The many transfers would reduce the attractiveness of the service. A new LRT option was not considered for study by the joint York Region/TTC/Metrolinx technical team as the corridor was designated for a subway extension in The Big Move."

So, yes, we circle back to the Province wagging the dog a bit, but we also have exactly what I've said multiple times. It COULD have enough capacity but at a cost. Since creating a "seamless" system is a key part of The Big Move, that's not surprising it got ditched.

But it does say an LRT is an option (one which has sufficient capacity and meets all growth). This wasn't considered in either the 2009 or 2013 BCAs. And both BCAs did omit showing other parts of the RTP, such as parallel GO improvements which drastically lower the extension's ridership projections. Just as with the subway, this aspect of the RTP is also part of 'the logic of the entire Provincial planning system'. However it's also out of the realm of Toronto to work on these GO improvements, and falls on the lap of our region's transportation authority.

If all the modeling and much of the RTP is in fact out the window, and conclusions showed that corridor improvements can be made and non-subway options exist, then really it should be pretty cut and dry that this whole mess isn't Toronto's doing or fault.

I didn't bring up Vaughan or VMC. I'm criticizing your leaps in logic from the previous page.

you said there's "fear-mongering" about how if we don't build the subway it means more sprawl etc. etc.
I know you didn't bring up VMC; that's my point.
That attitude strikes me as inconsistent with criticizing Vaughan for opening more whitebelt lands instead of concentrating development in their allegedly-TOD downtown.

Does opening more sprawl-lands undermine TOD or not?

Because they're the regional transportation authority, overseeing the RTP. When Toronto pointed out that a relief line was needed once the RTP numbers came in, it took Metrolinx quite a bit longer to conclude what Toronto was able to conclude early on.

They're not a tranportation authority. Would that they were. They're a transportation agency. Anyway, no one disputes the need for the DRL. But I can tell you, having been around these boards a while, that it was talked about seriously HERE long before it ever came up at Toronto council. Blame TTC, blame planning, blame council - I don't really care. But Toronto procrastinated on recognizing the need for the DRL.

Toronto can't go on about its own revenue tools and its own subway and then blame Metrolinx when it seems convenient. Is Toronto part of the RTP or is Metrolinx supposed to just snap-to it and adjust everything based on Toronto's us-first moves?

Toronto wouldn't necessarily need a BRT. The updated 2013 BCA took into consideration TTC numbers and conclusions from 2011 which showed that corridor upgrades north of Steeles should be an interim solution if the project is delayed (*and corridor upgrades doesn't have to mean full on "BRT"). As well the 2013 BCA did in fact present an option of a phased approach of building to Steeles first.

You're throwing out too many variables. I think we're all aware of the to-Steeles interim possibility (not that the Star or anyone else having a hissy fit this week has even proposed that, given that I think we all know it doesn't do much to help the capacity issue, except to the extent it overtly constrains development north of Steeles).

IF the subway goes only to Steeles, it will political suicide for everyone who isn't a Toronto councillor. But IF it does, sure, you can patch together a BRT up to 7 and exponentially increase the number of pissed-off people. It will operate at or over-capacity (per the BCA) but you can do it. If we're at that stage, I'd rather seen a LRT but that's all academic right now.

But I was talking about if the subway stays at Finch and you want a BRT from there to 7. There are already diamond lanes so I don't see how you improve service without a proper ROW. Which, as I was saying, is actually two ROWs since TTC would have to do one, just like Viva, or close to it. This was in the works before the subway plan came up and I don't know the inter-municipal communication was any better then.

If all the modeling and much of the RTP is in fact out the window, and conclusions showed that corridor improvements can be made and non-subway options exist, then really it should be pretty cut and dry that this whole mess isn't Toronto's doing or fault.

It's not out the window, it's just a moving target. Every new study is based on new assumptions. All the Yonge work was predicated on a 2031 horizon and a 2017-ish subway opening. It was also predicated on Transit City being long since open by then. The development assumptions, again, were predicated on RER and the subway and transitway opening in the 2020s.

I don't want to lay all the blame on any single party, even Toronto but it IS their fault the DRL hasn't been a priority and it IS their fault Transit City got derailed (pun sort-of intended) and it IS their fault Scarborough and SmartTrack are ahead of the DRL on their priority list. If they want to not just tell YR to chill but actually SCOLD them, they might want to look in the mirror first and learn a little hubris. Today John Tory gets to go on CP24 and be the DRL champion. But CANDIDATE Tory thought we didn't need it because of how amazing SmartTrack would be. I admire that he's learned better and adjusted his thinking, but I'm not going to pat him on the back for it either.)

Sincerely, I'd be happy to see them do an LRT vs. subway analysis, in terms of how many people it could/should carry, the extent to which it constrains/doesn't constrain development, relieves/overtaxes the downstream capacity etc. Then we could at least quibble about apples and apples instead of assuming what an LRT BCA would show.

(There is a table in the BCA showing, obviously, there is less land value uplift with an LRT but that's about the only detail they looked at, at least in there.)

But it does say an LRT is an option (one which has sufficient capacity and meets all growth). This wasn't considered in either the 2009 or 2013 BCAs. And both BCAs did omit showing other parts of the RTP, such as parallel GO improvements which drastically lower the extension's ridership projections. Just as with the subway, this aspect of the RTP is also part of 'the logic of the entire Provincial planning system'. However it's also out of the realm of Toronto to work on these GO improvements, and falls on the lap of our region's transportation authority.

The projections for YNSE stink.

1) They don't include the effects of GO RER
2) They purposely omitted the LRT from consideration because of political motivations (as pliantly said in the report)

The YNSE benefits case analysis needs to be thrown out and redone with these two factors in mind

Viva blue is not the lone bus in this corridor. There are numerous others, and not all of them are full by itself (some are quite full, some are not because they are coming from different routes) and that's why the road is clogged by buses, not to mention the cars. Toronto Star reports there are 2500 buses per day in this corridor and I saw York.ca reports 2400. If the buses operate at 18 hours per day, that translate to 68 buses per direction per hour on average.

Lots of ppl in this thread suggesting subway should only ends at Steeles and YR should construct a BRT to connect to it. I agree it might work but It's just not politically and geographically viable.

When reading over the ridership numbers for the various routes along the Yonge corridor and within its catchment, it seemingly would put the north of Steeles section as the 30th busiest surface corridor in the GTA. Or thereabouts.

And I'd agree that a BRT north of Steeles is neither politically or geographically viable. I personally hate buses and think a city is doing their citizens a major disservice if they selectively put in buses if there are railed transit options available. However there are ongoing dynamics in this debate that many don't seem to consider, and was not considered in any past study: and that is York Region updating their TMP to potentially extend the subway north of Hwy 7 before 2041. I wouldn't blame them in wanting this, seeing that development is creeping up Yonge, and no matter what Official Plan is in place it's almost impossible to force developers to build where you want them to build (see last 50yrs in TO).

However, I personally think this changes the dynamics of the debate because the subway has yet to start construction and it could take many years before a shovel hits the ground. So if YR does in fact want railed transit on Yonge north of Hwy 7, while being adamant that there can only be railed transit south of Hwy 7 - then perhaps there are options that could be built in place of a subway altogether? Options which offer similar speeds/capacity as a subway, but don't involve years of thumb-twiddling and regional infighting.

Prior to this update to YR's TMP they examined options like Light Rail or Advanced Light Rail north of 7, but unequivocally said north of Hwy 7 BRT is the only option worth pursuing. So this potential change in direction (i.e going from BRT to full scale subway) I think should be considered in this debate, and things that were purposefully excluded from past debates like LRT or ALRT south of 7 are now worth pursuing for the entire corridor from Major Mack to Steeles.

The most recent TMP only indicates a subway upto hwy7. There might be some early versions (somewhere around 2007? mentioning potential extensions to 16th or Major Mackenzie, but I'm sure it's no longer being mentioned in the recent TMP). The BRT currently being constructed on Yonge from HWY7 to Elgin mills won't even touch the intersection at Major Mackenzie (leave it as-is because it is historial and all plans are against modernization).

Also, I sincerely believe the 15min all-day two way GO-RER is off the table for Richmond Hill GO. It probably just serves as a rush-hour relief of the Yonge line. If something really happens in the near future I would think it to be "re-alignment" for the portion below Lawrence. Just some personal thoughts.

Last edited:
you said there's "fear-mongering" about how if we don't build the subway it means more sprawl etc. etc.
I know you didn't bring up VMC; that's my point.
That attitude strikes me as inconsistent with criticizing Vaughan for opening more whitebelt lands instead of concentrating development in their allegedly-TOD downtown.

Does opening more sprawl-lands undermine TOD or not?

They're not a tranportation authority. Would that they were. They're a transportation agency. Anyway, no one disputes the need for the DRL. But I can tell you, having been around these boards a while, that it was talked about seriously HERE long before it ever came up at Toronto council. Blame TTC, blame planning, blame council - I don't really care. But Toronto procrastinated on recognizing the need for the DRL.

Toronto can't go on about its own revenue tools and its own subway and then blame Metrolinx when it seems convenient. Is Toronto part of the RTP or is Metrolinx supposed to just snap-to it and adjust everything based on Toronto's us-first moves?

You're throwing out too many variables. I think we're all aware of the to-Steeles interim possibility (not that the Star or anyone else having a hissy fit this week has even proposed that, given that I think we all know it doesn't do much to help the capacity issue, except to the extent it overtly constrains development north of Steeles).

IF the subway goes only to Steeles, it will political suicide for everyone who isn't a Toronto councillor. But IF it does, sure, you can patch together a BRT up to 7 and exponentially increase the number of pissed-off people. It will operate at or over-capacity (per the BCA) but you can do it. If we're at that stage, I'd rather seen a LRT but that's all academic right now.

But I was talking about if the subway stays at Finch and you want a BRT from there to 7. There are already diamond lanes so I don't see how you improve service without a proper ROW. Which, as I was saying, is actually two ROWs since TTC would have to do one, just like Viva, or close to it. This was in the works before the subway plan came up and I don't know the inter-municipal communication was any better then.

It's not out the window, it's just a moving target. Every new study is based on new assumptions. All the Yonge work was predicated on a 2031 horizon and a 2017-ish subway opening. It was also predicated on Transit City being long since open by then. The development assumptions, again, were predicated on RER and the subway and transitway opening in the 2020s.

I don't want to lay all the blame on any single party, even Toronto but it IS their fault the DRL hasn't been a priority and it IS their fault Transit City got derailed (pun sort-of intended) and it IS their fault Scarborough and SmartTrack are ahead of the DRL on their priority list. If they want to not just tell YR to chill but actually SCOLD them, they might want to look in the mirror first and learn a little hubris. Today John Tory gets to go on CP24 and be the DRL champion. But CANDIDATE Tory thought we didn't need it because of how amazing SmartTrack would be. I admire that he's learned better and adjusted his thinking, but I'm not going to pat him on the back for it either.)

Sincerely, I'd be happy to see them do an LRT vs. subway analysis, in terms of how many people it could/should carry, the extent to which it constrains/doesn't constrain development, relieves/overtaxes the downstream capacity etc. Then we could at least quibble about apples and apples instead of assuming what an LRT BCA would show.

(There is a table in the BCA showing, obviously, there is less land value uplift with an LRT but that's about the only detail they looked at, at least in there.)

Too longwinded for me, and don't care for words put in my mouth. You know my stance. I support more railed subway-like transit than any past or present plan has ever seen. I just don't think $700M/km is worth the price tag, and believe there are better options available - options that a) weren't pursued, b) do everything that a $4.6bn subway extension can, and c) are supported by modelling data.

The projections for YNSE stink.

1) They don't include the effects of GO RER
2) They purposely omitted the LRT from consideration because of political motivations (as pliantly said in the report)

The YNSE benefits case analysis needs to be thrown out and redone with these two factors in mind

Exactly. Every other transit plan is seemingly being examined to death, with every combination shown. This one was presented twice, and both times rather subjectively.

Edit: to add
The most recent TMP only indicates a subway upto hwy7. There might be some early versions (somewhere around 2007? mentioning potential extensions to 16th or Major Mackenzie, but I'm sure it's no longer being mentioned in the recent TMP). The BRT currently being constructed on Yonge from HWY7 to Elgin mills won't even touch the intersection at Major Mackenzie (leave it as-is because it is historial and all plans are against modernization).

Also, I sincerely believe the 15min all-day two way GO-RER is off the table for Richmond Hill GO. It probably just serves as a rush-hour relief of the Yonge line. If something really happens in the near future I would think it to be "re-alignment" for the portion below Lawrence. Just some personal thoughts.

The 2041 TMP update info is on their website. It's not completed yet, but they have some slides that show the possibility of a subway loop up Yonge and across Major Mack then down Jane to VMC. Also Vaughan has docs re: Vaughan Mills Centre that show a subway in its plans, and they've made requests to Mlinx for designation status changes.

As for the GO corridor. I've read the docs about it, and nowhere have I seen any upgrades being ruled out. Nor has the recent quotes made by Metrolinx concerning flooding issues ruled it out. It's just that it might be delayed. Also some of their YRNS options do share the same flood-prone section of corridor, and New Station analysis has shortlisted stations along it. Either way: if it is completely off the table, and the dropping of it does change the direction/dynamics of P2G and the Big Move, then it raises the Q that perhaps other projects like a Yonge Extension could be reconsidered as well?

Last edited:
Cc88ePmUsAAjmGv.jpg

Back