Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

So...if the YNSE benefits case is thrown out and a new study supports the YNSE taking those two things into account will you stop yelling bloody murder about the YNSE benefits case?

I don't think you will :D

I spent the last two years supporting the YNSE. It wasn't even that long ago that I said it was one of my top 5 priorities. Now that I've had has the problems with the reports explained to me, I've withdrawn my support. I'll happy support the project again if a new study produces satisfactory results. Support or opposition of something doesn't have to be ideological.

I don't get how an extension could over-crowd the subway and yet not justify a subway because it won't have demand for one. Please expand...

I really don't get this argument, everyone is screaming about it overcrowding the Yonge Line and that's why it can't be a subway and then everyone is screaming it should be an LRT because it doesn't justify a subway based on ridership. So which is it? Is it going to attract too many riders or too few?

You clearly don't understand the word : CAPACITY.:D

ca·pac·i·ty
kəˈpasədē/
noun
noun: capacity
  1. 1.
    the maximum amount that something can contain.
    "the capacity of the freezer is 1.1 cubic feet"
    synonyms: volume, size, magnitude, dimensions, measurements, proportions
    "the capacity of the freezer"
    • fully occupying the available area or space.
      modifier noun: capacity
      "they played to a capacity crowd"
    • the amount that something can produce.
      plural noun: capacities
      "the company aimed to double its electricity-generating capacity"
    • the total cylinder volume that is swept by the pistons in an internal combustion engine.
    • former term for capacitance.
  2. 2.
    the ability or power to do, experience, or understand something.
    "I was impressed by her capacity for hard work"

Just for you

I don't get how an extension could over-crowd the subway and yet not justify a subway because it won't have demand for one. Please expand...

I really don't get this argument, everyone is screaming about it overcrowding the Yonge Line and that's why it can't be a subway and then everyone is screaming it should be an LRT because it doesn't justify a subway based on ridership. So which is it? Is it going to attract too many riders or too few?

If something has a capacity of 5,000 units, and said thing is currently running at 5,000, adding even 1 more unit to that thing will push it over capacity.

It doesn't matter if you're adding a lot of a thing, or a small amount of things to it. If it's at capacity, any amount added will push it over capacity.

Or, in other words:

Is Yonge line over capacity? Yes.

Will this thing add more than zero people onto Yonge Line? Yes.

Conclusion: this thing exasperates Yonge over crowding.

Or in other other words:

Your credit card has a limit of $5,000. If you have $5,000 on your credit card, spending even another penny will push you over your limit.

so what makes you think an LRT will not add any other ridership onto Yonge line? Even the BRT from HWY7 to North that is fully within York Region will add ridership to the Yonge line. That's why everyone is in support of DRL except for the Toronto council because it's too expensive.

Reactions: BMO
so what makes you think an LRT will not add any other ridership onto Yonge line? Even the BRT from HWY7 to North that is fully within York Region will add ridership to the Yonge line. That's why everyone is in support of DRL except for the Toronto council because it's too expensive.

An LRT would absolutely add to Yonge ridership, which is exactly why even an LRT might not be appropriate at the moment.

You clearly don't understand the word : CAPACITY.:D

The suggestion is funnier than you know. Add a few smile emojis.

If something has a capacity of 5,000 units, and said thing is currently running at 5,000, adding even 1 more unit to that thing will push it over capacity.

It doesn't matter if you're adding a lot of a thing, or a small amount of things to it. If it's at capacity, any amount added will push it over capacity.

Or, in other words:

Is Yonge line over capacity? Yes.

Will this thing add more than zero people onto Yonge Line? Yes.

Conclusion: this thing exasperates Yonge over crowding.

Or in other other words:

Your credit card has a limit of $5,000. If you have $5,000 on your credit card, spending even another penny will push you over your limit.

But we're not talking about buying a sofa. You're talking about human beings in a dynamic system. So, first of all, I've seen reports that say the subway is now 11% overcapcity at times. What do they do - close the gates? do they put up a "sold out," sign, like at the movie theatre? No, people keep coming and it just gets more crowded.

Moreover, if a certain # of people are moving to York Region you're not going to staunch the flow by doing nothing or putting in a lesser mode. All you will accomplish is geographic redistribution. If (as a total hypothetical) they put up a new condo tower at the Promenade mall and 20 people who live in it work at Yonge-Eglinton, you're not going to stop them from taking the subway. They will drive to Finch or take a bus. There will be more than zero people coming onto the Yonge line no matter what you do, because the region is growing and the 905 is growing faster than 416. Make them take an LRT, if you want - they'll still go to Finch and grab a seat on Line 1.

So obviously you have to create more capacity - no sane person here says otherwise.
But it's naive to think growth will stop or slow down or wait for that to happen. If, as planned, this can all get built in 15 years we won't have to really worry but the capacity issues will worsen and attempting to artificially keep people off the line - by building an inadequate link to Finch or by trying to convince them they really want to be on GO - will fail in the long term, as surely as (to return to your credit card) you stop buying the clothes you need for work because your paycheque isn't enough to cover your clothes. That's the unfortunate paradox in which we find ourselves.

If I'm really to believe capacity is a finite absolute and we can't go over it, then we're already screwed.

I know people in York Region and they're ok, but some are opportunists, they're freeloaders, they want a ride on my dime and it's not going to happen. It's time we built a wall... and made York Region pay for it.

It's sad state of affairs that a joke translating Donald Trump's immigration policies into Toronto transit policies seems serious on first reading :)

But we're not talking about buying a sofa. You're talking about human beings in a dynamic system. So, first of all, I've seen reports that say the subway is now 11% overcapcity at times. What do they do - close the gates? do they put up a "sold out," sign, like at the movie theatre? No, people keep coming and it just gets more crowded.

And we see the effect of that crowding today: A wildly unreliable rapid transit line with dramatic day-to-day capacity/headway swings because of the amount of people using it

And risks exceed prudence. The fact we haven't had a fatality is good fortune, not good practice.

If I'm really to believe capacity is a finite absolute and we can't go over it, then we're already screwed.

We are there, yes. We are playing catchup. It doesn't matter if the stop point is 5000 people or 5001. We are at 5500+. An old mentor used to tell me, "when you're in a hole, the first step is pretty obvious: stop digging."

- Paul

[/QUOTE]

The Scarbough Subway isn't a new service. Rather, it's replacing an existing service. Not replacing the RT isn't an option that's on the table, so this is a moot point.

The numbers that council relied on when they approved the 3-stop subway extension showed that it had higher ridership than the LRT. If I remember correctly, it was 38 million vs 31 million riders annually. The number is higher in part because it's a faster ride and eliminates the transfer, which attracts more riders including people from Markham or north Scarborough who would park their cars at STC to take the subway. Furthermore, since there is no more transfer at Kennedy, there is less incentive for subway riders to get off there to transfer to either the Crosstown or GO line, therefore more riders end up at Yonge & Bloor.

You give this way too much weight. First, because as you're the first to tell anyone, plans change all the time. Secondly, because putting in their TMP that they want a subway up to wherever has no actual bearing on reality. It's not like they pitched a subway to Major Mac to Trudeau, did they? It's a 25-year plan, nothing more. I'm sure the one from 25 years ago doesn't look much like what's there now. I can't even imagine how off-base the circa-1990 YR TMP must be.

In the meantime, back in reality, they're actually building the BRT north of Highway 7. That will provide a perfect barometer, since they won't even dream of asking for $ for rail to replace ituntil those buses are at capacity. At least with Highway 7 we can see the constant stream of buses today. That BRT will take a lot longer to reach capacity so, although you keep returning to it, the present-day council and staff definitely understand the difference between north and south of 7. The fact that they are ALSO considering how far urbanization might proceed in the decades to come is to their credit, not detriment. If Toronto had the same attitude, they would have had the DRL in their long-term plans at least post-amalgamation. Dare to dream.

The update to their 2041 TMP has some bearing on reality. It's a med/long-term plan, and it supports what myself and many others have predicted over the 8yrs this thread has been going on. That is: York Region will sooner or later want more subways - particularly when considering that we've already taken the high-risk unprecedented venture of bringing a deep bore heavy rail subway to fields and an industrial warehouse district (VMC). An area with no NIMBYs for 2km, along the 200th busiest surface corridor, and which would make Scarb Centre look like Manhattan in comparison. If we made that unprecedented decision, then it can be argued that extending Yonge north beyond RHC is doable.
*That's not the point I'm making though, and honestly I think I'm being fair in all of this (by looking at past, present, and future issues). And supporting TOD, reigning sprawl, and increasing transit usage/length.

And I really don't doubt that BRT north of 7 will reach capacity this millennium. But as we both agree, transit-building isn't just about capacity/ridership. It's about numerous other things like development and attractiveness of service. The "Land Value Premium Chart" we both discussed on the previous page makes my case, and IMO truly does work in York Region's favour. Bus/BRT provide the lowest premium, tram-style LRT provides mid-range premium, and grade-separated LRT and Subway provide the highest. Developers like the highest premium, which BRT doesn't do a good job of. And personally I hate using buses and would oftentimes rather drive.

My point: rather than piecemeal subway to RHC and an interchange to BRT northwards (the two extremes + transfer). I think we should build higher-end LRT (either Crosstown-style semi-grade-separated Light Rail, or Vancouver-style fully grade-separated Light Rail) along the entire Yonge corridor. And I'm making this conclusion by looking at the whole situation of past, present, and future plans.

I'm not being dishonest, or us vs them, or trying to short-change York Region. This would build one longer line, in one go, with similar capacity/speed as a subway - but over a much longer range. No piecemeal, no waiting around, no infighting. York Reigon looked at this option for north of 7, but hasn't for south of 7. I'd say re-look at the issue over the entire corridor, and take into consideration past/present/future issues. I wouldn't be surprised if this could be seen as the best option. I'm being honest and unbiased here. More TOD development, more subway-like rapid transit, built faster, more input from York Region...it's a win-win.

I get the sense that a bunch of people on here seem to think that stopping the extension will magically get rid of demand and alleviate the Yonge line. The fact is that it isn't going to make the demand disappear and it's not going to shift ridership away from the line. It's always going to be an issue.

Fight for a DRL all you want but the fact still remains that this demand is and will continue to be on this stretch of Yonge before and after a DRL, so to act like this extension is pie-in-the-sky thinking is completely ludicrous.

Maybe instead of an Us or Them attitude it may be an opportunity to get a DRL and a Yonge extension funded instead of claiming that the 905 is ruining your city.

Hmm. I hope you're not talking about me here. Yes there are a few posters with little knowledge of the issue and don't further debate. But IMO if anyone is being Us vs Them it's posts like yours. No offense, but that's my takeaway. And not to toot my own horn, but I'm being honest when I talk about this from looking at past/present/future issues holistically.
  • I've read and analyzed the past plans, their future modeling, and BCAs
  • I'm aware that both Yonge BCAs omitted important GO RH data which reduced subway biz case/ridership
  • I'm more than aware that much of the Big Move is changing - RER being a major new component
  • The subway has been delayed (should've been open this year), and many are rightfully PO'd
  • McWynnetyLinx isn't exactly forthright or non-political, and have changed their own plans (some logical, some political)
  • McWynnetyLinx is behind on TISAP, fare integration, and road pricing - all things in place in the RTP's modeling assumption
  • Studies purposefully ignored light rail modes that could theoretically provide more subway-like transit over a greater area
  • Modes such as these provide sufficient capacity, land value premiums similar to subways, and meet growth expectations
  • Recently York Region hinted that they want a subway north of 7 sooner instead of later
  • We have decades of data that shows growth tends to follow corridors and oftentimes doesn't fill planned "Centres" as fast as promised
Factoring all this info, I think there are better subway-like alternatives that can be built over a longer area, using the same $4.6bn than an a$tronomically-priced piecemeal subway extension to Hwy 7. Then a few years later yet another long drawn-out wait for a further piecemeal subway extension beyond 7 or up Jane.

Ah, this argument. Well personally I think a subway paralleling Yonge on its east side should've been built decades ago. I don't give two sh!ts what capacity improvement numbers say. Many experts agree with me on this, and Byford admitted it on his first day here. This isn't 'us vs them', this is apparent and logical.

Modeling which included Richmond Hill Express Rail, Don Mills LRT, and the DRL U all showed very high ridership. And all roughly share similar catchments (with each providing different levels of service). Surprisingly however these don't reduce Yonge's capacity issues. All are important. But in the case of the DRL U and DMLRT, we could theoretically combine the two into a DRL Long - which seems to be where we're headed. This would reduce capacity issues, and was needed long, long ago.

If a new YNSE benefits case is done taking LRT and GO RER into account, you guys will get the LRT. Subway will make absolutely no sense
I think we both know this isn't true. I mean, sure, you're probably right in saying it would prove an LRT would be the more appropriate solution. But since when has that mattered? It didn't when they decided to build a subway to VMC. It didn't when they approved a subway for Scarborough. Or even Sheppard, for that matter. York Region wants a subway. And so it will get one. The political will is there, and thats really all that matters. Is that the way it should work? No. But theres no point in doing another study when politicians are just going to ignore it anyways, or when the numbers will be fudged so much that its reliability is suspect. And for the record, both Toronto and YR are guilty of this, so demonizing one and defending the other makes no sense.

I can understand where YR is coming from here. If Toronto had gotten its act together years ago, this wouldn't be an issue. That said, hindsight is 20/20 and building a Yonge extension before the DRL is completed is foolish. Full stop. Now, I think the claim that a lot of the traffic would just be people who were bussing to Finch and getting on the subway anyways. But it would definitely mean more people using the system, and right now thats just not feasible. If anything, hopefully this lights another fire under the city's butt to get the DRL going. Plus, YR doesn't need to wait fifteen years for the DRL to open. They need to wait maybe half that for the DRL to start construction. So long as the DRL relief line opens first, it doesn't matter if the Yonge extension construction runs concurrently (Though we'll see if the province has enough funds to throw around for that).

As an aside, I'm fairly strongly opposed to a light rail between Finch and RMC, if only because that means people traveling from further north have another transfer in the same direction. That said, I might be a bit of a hypocrite there since I thought the "Scarborough deserves a subway to get rid of the transfer at Kennedy" argument was a tad BS. Maybe a Viva Rapid way along that corridor makes more sense.

EDIT: Also, the Us-vs-them attitude is really obnoxious. It was obnoxious in the Scarborough debate and its obnoxious here. Its one transportation system, in a society where municipal borders blur together so much that crossing them doesn't mean much anymore. Not to mention that there is already precedent for extending the subway beyond Toronto borders.

Did you know that not only does Montreal charges both cities of Longueuil and Laval for their shares of the operating costs for the subway, but they were able to extend that to all 82 municipalities representing the CMM (Communauté Metropolitaine de Montreal) which is the equivalent of the GTA. Montreal plead their case that the metro benefits all those cities and contribute to their growth and success while servicing their citizens. Building and maintaining the subway is extremely expensive and this is a province where Quebec pays foe almost half the bill (if i"m not mistaken). The Metro is recognized as a CMM infrastructure and the CMM plans together for the whole region before submitting transit plans to Quebec. So all those municipalities helps Montreal with the Metro

Here lies the problem in the GTA especially Toronto. We can all agree that all the surrounding suburbs use the TTC and the subway/streetcars. That their proximity to Toronto is often used as a selling points for investors and to attract new residents. Problem is that Toronto is on their own here, which is an anomaly in the western world where all level of government subsidies transit, included the United States. The city picks up almost half of it's overall budget (Toronto taxes), and the rest comes from fares (Mostly Torontonians).

If that wasn't bad enough, York region (don't forget that they ALREADY have a subway...Vaughan) only paid their share for the capital expense...but 100% of the operating cost falls on Toronto. Surely you can appreciate why Torontonians are against MORE subways into York (already have one) while there are still parts of the city with no rapid transit.

What would be fair? That the GTA emulates what Montreal did with its CMM structure. EVERYBODY pays their share and everybody gets a voice, then projects are evaluated by the province, in this case Metrolinx.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. In the current stucture, Toronto is absolutely right to push back and to only worry/care about their own backyard. Montreal was far worse then Toronto which I pointed out in an earlier post about the vicious rivalry between Montreal and Laval over the subway extension to Laval (who were behaving exactly like York is today)

Level the playing field like what was done for Montreal and I'll be the first one to stop using the word "Steeles"

Last edited:
Here is my Subway Vision at the Nov 4, 2006 Transit Submit. This is long range back then and haven't seen any transit plans or report back then.

This for those who think I don't support subway nor a concept what is needed. The Sheppard Subway goes to Pickering in the east.
25511786271_94b87c2dcd_k.jpg

Last edited:

Back