Toronto YC Condos -- Yonge at College | 198.42m | 62s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The massing is interesting but given that it's G&C, the details will be flawed and clumsy. I have no hope for this one. Plenty of far more interesting projects by better firms to get excited about.

Is there another kind of ceremonial groundbreaking?

I prefer the more literal ones:

[video=youtube;6b44Q3dm8p0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b44Q3dm8p0[/video]

...but even a mound of dirt on the actual construction site is better than digging into a pail in the sales centre.

There is a building to be demolished that essentially covers the entire site -- where would they be able to bring in equipment to put a shovel in the ground?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likewise. Why even bother? It just comes off as so cheap and cheesy. I guarantee the only ground any of these white collar princesses ever broke was to plant tulips.

I guarantee the only ground any of these white collar princesses ever broke was to plant tulips.

Not even. They hire landscapers for that.

The ground breaking was dumb it just makes them look dumb. Wait till the lot is cleared then do it for real.

There is a building to be demolished that essentially covers the entire site -- where would they be able to bring in equipment to put a shovel in the ground?

The same was true of the site where the above video took place. After they demolish the existing building, the have the grade it to a flat empty lot, then they start excavation. They could do it then.

When is demolition scheduled for this thing anyway? I take it from the timing of the "ground breaking" sometime very soon?

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a sledgehammer put through a wall…

but really, who cares whether is was actual ground breaking, or actual wall smashing, the point is that they are starting work and it shouldn't matter what moment is chosen to celebrate that.

The hoarding goes up starting on Monday AFAIK.

0z6Pbh7.jpg

And so it begins. Heres a photo I quickly snapped of the model a while back whilst being stared down by the sales rep.

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 6.11.41 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 6.11.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 6.11.41 PM.png
    513 KB · Views: 1,031
Messy and haphazard. Here's hoping for a real estate crash; for every decent building we've had about 2 or 3 mediocre to terrible buildings go up during this latest boom. Toronto really needs a bit of a breather, time to reflect on the mediocrity and aim towards a renaissance of proper, globally interesting architecture.

I'm using this thread to air my grievances since I find this condo in particular represents what condo architecture in Toronto has become: the same old crap with some new "tricked out" balcony variation to fool us into thinking the design is better than it really is. Enough is enough.

The white balconies are barely even noticeable in the model. It would be nice if G&C followed this thread and realize this project is getting torn apart, maybe give them some incentive to use decent materials. That's just a pipe dream of course.

The white balconies are barely even noticeable in the model. It would be nice if G&C followed this thread and realize this project is getting torn apart, maybe give them some incentive to use decent materials. That's just a pipe dream of course.

Considering the record of the developer and the architect, and the amount of "flak" on UT thus far, I'd say good luck.

AoD

Back