Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I can't be bothered to see if this is in the thread already or not, but the locals really want a park:

http://www.baycloverhill.com/intere...t-for-a-park-at-11-wellesley-street-west.html

Support For a Park at 11 Wellesley Street West

WHO WANTS A PARK IN OUR NEIGHBOURHOOD?

THE BCCA SUPPORTS THE CREATION OF A COMMUNITY PARK AT
11 WELLESLEY STREET WEST--THE OPERA LANDS
CONTACT OUR MPP AND CITY COUNCILLOR AND TELL THEM YES

COUNCILLOR KRISTYN WONG TAM

TORONTO CITY HALL
100 QUEEN STREET WEST
2ND FLOOR, SUITE A5
TORONTO, ONTARIO
M5H 2N2

Councillor_wongtam[@]toronto.ca

THE HONOURABLE GLEN MURRAY

514 PARLIAMENT STREET
TORONTO, ONTARIO
M4X 1P4

Gmurray.mpp.co[at]liberal.ola.org

I can't be bothered to see if this is in the thread already or not, but the locals really want a park:

What, a 50 million dollar or more piece of prime land for a park, i dont think its going to happen...i could see 1/4 or half of that with a mixed-use high rise development.
And regarding the locals wanting a park, thats because they are all worried that their high-rise apt. views may actually be obstructed by a taller build. Pity

What, a 50 million dollar or more piece of prime land for a park, i dont think its going to happen...i could see 1/4 or half of that with a mixed-use high rise development.
And regarding the locals wanting a park, thats because they are all worried that their high-rise apt. views may actually be obstructed by a taller build. Pity

I nominate all short buildings and parking lots north of Carlton and south of Bloor to be designated "heritage." In my self-interest? Coincidence only!

This plot of land is like an extracted front tooth, and demands a nice crown: the local context (and zoning) is high density. For the Bay Cloverhill association, I can't imagine they expect to be taken seriously on this point: Queen's Park, that nice YMCA park, St. Michael's and Victoria Colleges, and the Wellesley block all fall within their self-defined borders.

Highrises along Wellesley then a park on the south half of the property perhaps, which would sort of merge with the parkette next to the Y/behind the Opera Place condos but not the whole property. It's also fairly low-profile. My initial thought was honoring Jack with the new space that has been known as Canada Square on Queen's Quay but it sounds like that is going to be developed with retail or restaurants. My other choice is Yonge-Dundas Square which doesn't gel with much of what Jack stood for but it's about the most high profile public space downtown that is aching for a name. Better Jack Layton Square than Rogers Square, which it could become. Ultimately a real series of protected bike-lanes downtown could be named after him, but that ain't happening any time soon.

This was crown land and I'm pretty sure there are some stipulations regarding density, height and pricepoint of potential sales in the purchase agreement. It might explain the presistence of rental ownership and midrise form for the final phase. $50 million? ... maybe not even close.

You are missing the point. This area is already one of the densest in the city and we all know more towers will be added to the neighbourhood. There needs to be a balance with some park space. Where else in downtown will we be able to add a decent sized park?

There's more than enough room on this site to have an open plaza and park - along with a performing arts centre and complex - that would justify the names of the condos behind it. It would also help shift the vibe on this corner from one that is actively sketchy towards something more gracious and beneficial.
It could provide a greener, more restful compliment to Yonge - Dundas square.
There's also room for a gigantic amount of parking underground, should such a thing be desired. That would likely be a helpful income generator.

Last edited:
Just walked past the site, looks like there has been a lot more cleared than what that picture shows, prettyflamingo you'll have to confirm :)

Edit: I remember reading the Women's College Hospital development proposal and recall this site being mentioned for parking. Perhaps it is being cleared to pave the lot? That's my guess.

Confirmed...

OperaPlace002xx.jpg

For some reason, the area around Yonge / Wellesley attracts a lot of crack heads and some of the more aggressive pandhandlers in the city. If this parcel of land becomes a park, the crackheads will finally have a place to call home and make sure nobody else can enjoy the space.

For some reason, the area around Yonge / Wellesley attracts a lot of crack heads and some of the more aggressive pandhandlers in the city. If this parcel of land becomes a park, the crackheads will finally have a place to call home and make sure nobody else can enjoy the space.

A couple months ago some kind of "dormitory" called Marina House opened up next to the LCBO on Yonge and since then the block immediately south of Wellesley has become a bit more sketchy. I don't remember it being that bad earlier this year.

A couple months ago some kind of "dormitory" called Marina House opened up next to the LCBO on Yonge and since then the block immediately south of Wellesley has become a bit more sketchy. I don't remember it being that bad earlier this year.

I was wondering what the heck that place was. There's been a bunch of kids hanging out on the steps right in front of the restaurants that opened beside them. I'd be freaking if I were those restaurant owners because they won't be able to attract customers if there's kids smoking and drinking and swearing and fighting and loitering right in front of their storefronts.

Panhandlers are more aggressive on Queen West/West and especially in the Annex for some reason around Spadina. That's my experience walking my dog in the Annex, spending a fair amount of time on Queen West West and living near Yonge & Wellesley.

Back