Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I'm wondering if both, 1) high-density that allows developers to profit, and 2) a park for everyone, can be achieved in this relatively large parcel of land?

For example, if a large single tower is allowed here (say 60 storeys), which is completely reasonable given other projects around this area and the fact that it's so close to the subway lines, then any developer has the chance to actually profit from it (which is obviously needed for any interest in developing something). In return, the city can ask to have the rest of the site developed as a park for everyone to enjoy. I would say that is a win-win situation for everyone! And regarding height and NIMBYism, like I have said before, this is the core and is so close to subway lines, so if we can't build tall here, then where the f**k do we?

Err, I know we haven't been proposing and building short lately but my point is in regards to increased resistance to it - NIMBYism, tall buildings study, etc. And high density and height do go hand-in-hand usually, not always (as there are other ways to be high-density) but in this case it's correct to say height = density.

To be honest, I don't understand why you bothered to comment on my post?

Not bothered - just pointing out one shouldn't be equating height to high density, and by extension good planning vis-a-vis the increasingly worn argument that it is by default desirable just because it is right by a subway stop. And speaking personally, I for one would be quite happy to see that we don't get a park, but have the site used for high density and intensity purposes without resorting to the whole supertall with a park thrown in typology. That's equally good planning for a site right by a subway line. The current arrangement of the superblock is a complete yawn.

AoD

Last edited:
Alright, but to be honest, will the idea of being close to a subway stop (especially near both lines) really ever get to being a worn-out argument? Just wondering.... :)

Accessibility is an argument for high density, not height. Again, the problem is equating the two by default and come to the conclusion that you have to build tall near the subway. Besides, I would say that at a site this close to the core, the subway line is probably not as critical a factor for densification than the proximity of other land uses (i.e. employment centres and amenities).

AoD

I don't really see the need for an additional open space

Really? I've lived in the area for almost a year and the one big complaint i have is the lack of any open space.
Only in Toronto will we be content with the fact that we have some tiny open space in the area.
This would be an ideal location for a great park for the area residents. Here's to hoping we finally have a great park in the area.

I don't recall the technicalities and he was speaking quite fast without a microphone in a ballroom so it was also hard to hear but I got the info. that I posted above from Glen Murray, MPP for Toronto Centre. If I heard right the land is owned by the Provincial Government so he's trying to find the political will to get it turned over to the City and perhaps use the park space in partnership with an organization like Ryerson.

Last edited:
I don't recall the technicalities and he was speaking quite fast without a microphone in a ballroom so it was also hard to hear but I got the info. I posted from Glen Murray, MPP for Toronto Centre. If I heard right the land is owned by the Provincial Government so he's trying to find the political will to get it turned over to the City and perhaps use the park space in partnership with an organization like Ryerson.

I do hope this is true. It could be the best thing to happen to the area.

I really dont see how anyone is going to be able to create an attractve park, mid-block with the existing surroundings. Sure, it could be an open green space but it would not be beautiful. These things have to be planned way ahead of time so that the surrounding neighbourhoods can be built in ways that address the open space appropriately. What we have here is a derlict lot with a mish mash of different development around its perimeter which in no way acknowledge the space. But hey, if you guys need a place for your dog to take a dump... lets just do it.

I should have added, if this does get the go-ahead Councillor Wong-Tam has section 37 funds to put into developing the park space. She gave a number, I don't remember how much but it was very substantial. She is working very closely with Glen Murray, they both talked of numerous projects that they are involved with together in the Church Wellesley neighbourhood (Charles to Carlton, Yonge to Jarvis). They clearly have a very good working relationship, they each spoke extremely high of each other and of course they are working together on projects in other areas of her Ward but nothing was mentioned as it wasn't relevant to the meeting of the CWNA last evening.

http://thetorontoblog.com/2012/01/2...on-boarded-up-block-of-wellesley-street-west/

Dream still alive for green space or new city park on boarded-up block of Wellesley Street West

25 Jan 2012

Mr. Murray said the province is looking into the possibility of declaring 11 Wellesley as a surplus Crown asset, and making it available to the city to acquire for use as public realm parkland or open space. One option for turning the property over to the community, he said, is for the government to declare the land a part of Ryerson University, effectively extending the university’s campus several blocks to the northwest of its present downtown location. Ward 27 Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, who also addressed the CWNA meeting, said she is excited that the city might get the opportunity to acquire the Wellesley street site for a new park.

Mr. Murray added that other new parks could be in the works for the downtown core, since the Ontario government owns approximately 110 acres of property south of Bloor Street. Some of that land is located along Jarvis Street, he said.

The Cabinet minister didn’t indicate when the Wellesley property might become available to the City, but his comments have been the most promising indication to date that the province is taking active steps to help Toronto develop additional community and green spaces that its downtown core desperately needs.

with the deficit and debt plaguing the provincial government, they should be selling these lands to the highest bidder rather than giving them away!

with the deficit and debt plaguing the provincial government, they should be selling these lands to the highest bidder rather than giving them away!

My feelings exactly. Ontario is broke and here we have an idiot like Glen Murray talking about giving away what must be the single most valuable parcel of land in all of downtown!

Back