Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

I like it!

Thanks!

Considering that 501 Yonge is now in the works (it is basically across the street from this site), there would be an opportunity to get some s37 dollars to support a park here. The two levels of government can work together: the province owns the land, the city provides the capital resources via s37 funds.

Thanks!

Considering that 501 Yonge is now in the works (it is basically across the street from this site), there would be an opportunity to get some s37 dollars to support a park here. The two levels of government can work together: the province owns the land, the city provides the capital resources via s37 funds.

It would actually be section 42 of the Planning Act regarding cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication. In new developments builders are required to either set aside a certain amount of land for parkland (parkland dedication) or alternatively they pay cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication (which is typical for intensification projects as land is obviously not available to be conveyed to the city on small sites). The parkland fees are paid prior to the issuance of the first building permit and can be quite significant - the city has certainly been collecting large sums of money with all the downtown development through the recent condo boom and the creation of a new park in the midst of all the new development that has been generating those sec 42 dollars would certainly make sense - all the new residents have been paying the fee, so they should receive some benefit.

It would actually be section 42 of the Planning Act regarding cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication. In new developments builders are required to either set aside a certain amount of land for parkland (parkland dedication) or alternatively they pay cash-in-lieu of parkland dedication (which is typical for intensification projects as land is obviously not available to be conveyed to the city on small sites). The parkland fees are paid prior to the issuance of the first building permit and can be quite significant - the city has certainly been collecting large sums of money with all the downtown development through the recent condo boom and the creation of a new park in the midst of all the new development that has been generating those sec 42 dollars would certainly make sense - all the new residents have been paying the fee, so they should receive some benefit.

I didn't know about s42 dollars. Thanks MikeinTO! Are you those dollars used to purchase land or for capital costs relating to creating parks? or both?

This morning they have started to clear the lot. There's a bulldozer down there right now.

Here we go again. One year later, and the bulldozer is back. Let's see what happens this time.

OperaPlace001xx.jpg

I sure hope this time through there is pressure on any developers of this lot to beautify that back alley (the St. Nick extension) and to give some green space. It's a massive lot.

Anyone remember the original proposal? It was horrid!

so that's what it looks like in there :eek:

I remember when it was all open and I used to go rollerblading there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just walked past the site, looks like there has been a lot more cleared than what that picture shows, prettyflamingo you'll have to confirm :)

Edit: I remember reading the Women's College Hospital development proposal and recall this site being mentioned for parking. Perhaps it is being cleared to pave the lot? That's my guess.

Last edited:
Perhaps its soil remediation going on, I think I remember reading that this site is contaminated. They can either dig it out and remove it, or simply pave over it and build from there, or at least thats my understanding of the remediation of soil, but if anyone knows better, please correct me.

Perhaps its soil remediation going on, I think I remember reading that this site is contaminated. They can either dig it out and remove it, or simply pave over it and build from there, or at least thats my understanding of the remediation of soil, but if anyone knows better, please correct me.

If it is contaminated (first I heard of that) it has to be dealt with before anything can be built. I haven't seen anything posted on site so I don't know what they're doing there. Hopefully they'll sell the land and develop it properly, this is a huge piece of prime land here.

Such a great piece of property. Why can't the owners get it together.

Therein lies the issue. My understanding is that portions of this lot have been wrangled in a legal issues since Morguard decided to pull out from building 5 & 6. There were a bunch of common elements that were to be created that never were. This probably wouldn't have been a problem if they never sold off the south tower (Allegro Place) as private residences. Originally these were to be rentals like the north tower. The latest I've heard is that the Ontario government now has their hands on the land (or is interested), and that's why everyone was speculating about parkland thinking perhaps they would turn part of it over to the city of Toronto.

I wouldn't mind seeing a well designed 20-30 storey gov't office building on the southeast corner of the site with extensive well landscaped grounds covering the rest of the site.

Back