Toronto Wellesley on the Park | 194.15m | 60s | Lanterra | KPMB

AG: I am suggesting TCHC because as the land is likely soon to be in government hands anyway, why would that not be a good place to build more TCHC housing? Something along the lines of Teeple's 60 Richmond East is what springs to my mind. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of land available to private developers in the area, a few of whom are sitting on development sites on Wellesley East, anyway.

I lean to seeing this developed, two highrises and retail along Wellesley W. and towns along Breadalbane St. In this economic climate I just can't see the City or Province springing to buy this prime piece of land for a small park that mostly only dogs will use, there aren't a lot of kids in this area. There's a big park one block west, a parkette on the south side of Breadalbane behind the YMCA and a series of parkettes that run north just east side of Yonge Street from Dundonald up to Charles Sts.

Park is OK, but even better..keep the park where it is, build a new north-bound road (Breadelbane-Wellesley) on east side of the park..leave that space where you have proposed TCHC housing empty and wait for a developer to buy that west side Yonge street block plus this empty space (to make it worthwhile), and hopefully the developer salvages some of the Yonge st. facades, does away with the laneway, and proposes and builds something half decent for that west side of Yonge street.

I like this. The new road could be an extension of St. Nicholas. The eventual redevelopment could front both Yonge and the new park, providing a nice edge to that side of the park. I think it's also a given that the Bay Club podium will be extended, as the parking garage and foundation already extends quite a bit to the east.

I can't believe I am going to say this on Earth Day....

Ordinarily I would be all for a new park somewhere, but with Queen's Park a two minute walk to the west, I don't think such a prime piece of land like this needs to be another park. It is a subway node and in the middle of an area that is preparing to go really tall. You have 9-21 Grenville, 5ive and Aura all reaching for the stratosphere. I can't see it not going to something in the 50-60 floor range.

This is El Toro, and as Cal would say... We are ONFYR!!!!

Last edited:
To me, this is not the correct site in the area for a park.

Given that the Green P (city-owned) Parking lot is just a block away, on the east side of Yonge....and has the the subway under it, making development more complicated and unwieldy....... that site would be preferable for green space.

While this site, could be developed with a new Green P Lot under it.....replacing the lost capacity and profit for the city, while achieving useful and financially rewarding (for the public and private sector) new development.

I won't fully reiterate my issues on TCHC....suffice to say, while I'm very socially conscientious as you will all know from my posts, I'm just not a fan of gov't owned housing, rented at a loss/subsidized rates as a solution to current poverty/housing issues.

I would much rather focus on raising incomes for the needy through higher min. wages, lower taxes (for low-income earners) and even higher welfare rates, rather than going the housing route. I also think we're long overdue to modify property taxes on multi-residential in order to facilitate lower rents.

I don't suggest we ditch TCHC, but I'm not a real proponent of growing it either.

Not true, this area is packed with kids during the day with the YMCA daycare next door.

A daycare facility for kids who live in the area or the children of commuters working in the nearby government buildings and such?

The last thing Toronto needs is another park it can't maintain. Put the money into the parks we already have and bring them up to a more acceptable standard.

Downtown needs this space as park space.

On the board here, we all get excited by new towers and density. It's great and interesting to see the city grow and evolve.

But there needs to be neighbourhood amenities for all the people who live here. I don't know the number of units that have been and are being added in the core between One Bloor and Aura, but you can't just plunk thousands and thousands of new people in a small area and not add any public amenities. That's not how to plan a livable city.

I think creating this site as multi-use is the way to go. Parking underneath with a small building for washroom facilities and warming house for a hockey rink here in the winter. Wouldn't that be great?

Besides, what other lots exist in the core where we could do something as exciting and visionary as adding more green space than here? This is a huge opportunity with long-term benefits for the city.

Greenleaf, re-read Northern Light's proposal. (Very smart thinking in my books) It takes care of the green space more practically by putting it on the difficult-to-develop land over the subway. That would be in keeping with what has been done with the parking lots over the subway from Dundonald to Charles.

Greenleaf, re-read Northern Light's proposal. (Very smart thinking in my books) It takes care of the green space more practically by putting it on the difficult-to-develop land over the subway. That would be in keeping with what has been done with the parking lots over the subway from Dundonald to Charles.

There's no reason why we can't do both!

Downtown needs this space as park space.

On the board here, we all get excited by new towers and density. It's great and interesting to see the city grow and evolve.

But there needs to be neighbourhood amenities for all the people who live here. I don't know the number of units that have been and are being added in the core between One Bloor and Aura, but you can't just plunk thousands and thousands of new people in a small area and not add any public amenities. That's not how to plan a livable city.

I think creating this site as multi-use is the way to go. Parking underneath with a small building for washroom facilities and warming house for a hockey rink here in the winter. Wouldn't that be great?

Besides, what other lots exist in the core where we could do something as exciting and visionary as adding more green space than here? This is a huge opportunity with long-term benefits for the city.

I like it!

Back