Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

They ARE moving but I assume they want to get the GO ones used to their new home before adding other companies to the mix. I do not think there are, to date, any firm plans for the Coach Terminal site but it is clearly in line for 'something'.

I have heard second-hand that Lanterra is assembling most of the lots adjacent to the terminal up to and including the abandoned boutique hotel at Bay and Elm. The terminal itself may be part of this. I'm quite certain the TTC would like to have it taken off their hands.

The current GO bus terminal has seven bays, which is barely enough for the number of buses that come in and out at peak times - weekday evenings, and Saturday afternoons/evenings.

I would not be too shocked to see Ontario Northland decide not move to the new terminal, but terminate at Yorkdale. There's already one bus a day from Toronto to North Bay that originates/terminates at Yorkdale. Most ON buses also stop at Highway 407 Terminal now, which provides pretty good connections to GO buses to the airport, Mississauga, and Hamilton.

TOK (formerly Can-Ar) will likely move in with GO, as they already use the existing GO terminal. Without Greyhound operating these days, that only leaves Megabus and possibly ON.

I have heard second-hand that Lanterra is assembling most of the lots adjacent to the terminal up to and including the abandoned boutique hotel at Bay and Elm. The terminal itself may be part of this. I'm quite certain the TTC would like to have it taken off their hands.

I'm wondering why a site on the north side of Edward would be advantageous relative to redeveloping the Bus Terminal?

Hmmm. The obvious sites would be those fronting Dundas; though a few of those are very nice heritage facades (or would be if restored)(Bay to Elizabeth).

The two Dundas fronting properties next to the GO terminal are quite expendable; apologies to their current occupiers!

None of the Dundas fronting properties from Bay to Elizabeth are even listed, let alone designated!

The Bus Terminal isn't designated either, only listed!

Last edited:
Say what you will about the old GO Bus terminal and Bay St. Coach terminal, but a fundamental positive was that there was room to line up along the side of the buses. (And I am aware that at Bay St. you had to get out of the way and return to your position if a bus needed to get through)

Looking at these photos I have no idea where a semi-long queue is supposed to go except block the main corridor or snake into another queue.

Say what you will about the old GO Bus terminal and Bay St. Coach terminal, but a fundamental positive was that there was room to line up along the side of the buses. (And I am aware that at Bay St. you had to get out of the way and return to your position if a bus needed to get through)

Looking at these photos I have no idea where a semi-long queue is supposed to go except block the main corridor or snake into another queue.

You don’t wait outside by the bus bay. You’ll wait in the terminal and the doors to your bus bay only open when it’s time to board.
B1B44592-1FE9-46E5-9A5C-A2A00A944335.jpeg

There’s room in the terminal in between the seats to form lines with stanchions if needed.

You don’t wait outside by the bus bay. You’ll wait in the terminal and the doors to your bus bay only open when it’s time to board.
View attachment 283449

There’s room in the terminal in between the seats to form lines with stanchions if needed.

I assume they also open in the event of an emergency? Nothing quite like being locked in a burning building

Did not realize until @sikandar posted above that there will also be a pedestrian bridge from CIBC Square over Yonge Street directly into Backstage Condo. Does anyone know if that bridge will be in the vicinity of the upper or lower arrow in the image below?

1605702710913.png

Attachments

• 1605702637862.png
    1605702637862.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
I'm wondering why a site on the north side of Edward would be advantageous relative to redeveloping the Bus Terminal?

Hmmm. The obvious sites would be those fronting Dundas; though a few of those are very nice heritage facades (or would be if restored)(Bay to Elizabeth).

The two Dundas fronting properties next to the GO terminal are quite expendable; apologies to their current occupiers!

None of the Dundas fronting properties from Bay to Elizabeth are even listed, let alone designated!

The Bus Terminal isn't designated either, only listed!

Strange - there are some nice buildings along that block. The terminal building should be preserved of course. Also, the 5 storey building on the north west corner of Bay and Dundas would look great if it were cleaned up and given new windows.

They ARE moving but I assume they want to get the GO ones used to their new home before adding other companies to the mix. I do not think there are, to date, any firm plans for the Coach Terminal site but it is clearly in line for 'something'.

I would think that rent is the main issue right now. Obviously the bus companies would be paying to use the facility, and they'll be paying more cause it's a better facility. How much more is the question.

I would think that rent is the main issue right now. Obviously the bus companies would be paying to use the facility, and they'll be paying more cause it's a better facility. How much more is the question.
They are paying rent now and the real bottom line is that the City (who own the Coach Terminal through the TTC) want to close it, it will close. The current lease goes to July 2021. See: http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commiss...April_20/Reports/8_TCTI_Lease_Disposition.pdf

"When GACCTO vacates the properties, TTC proposes that the TTC Board declare the properties surplus to the operational needs of the TTC. Build Toronto has expressed strong interest to the TTC in acquiring the properties for redevelopment and a market sale."

Last edited:
It leads to a 'gallery' in the Backstage condos that is designed for exhibitions. Eventually the idea is tat the PATH will run to Market Street through the TPA garage though I am not sure that this has actually been 'planned'.

That would be really handy. Back in the day when I drove downtown for Jays games instead of taking GO (going somewhere afterwards, etc), the TPA lot was my go-to choice for parking. If the weather was nice walking along Front wasn't an issue, but if it was a crappy day the route involved jaywalking across Yonge, cutting through the bus terminal, into Union via Platform 3, cutting through whatever Union detour route was set up that day, and eventually making my way to the Skywalk. The proposed PATH route would be much easier.

Also, in a more general sense, having an all-weather connection to the St. Lawrence Market would be great.

I suppose it is a good thing this was discovered!

Emergency Non-Competitive Contract with Century Group Incorporated for Construction Management Services at the East Wing of Union Station
Origin
(November 16, 2020) Report from the Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management​
Recommendations
The Executive Director, Corporate Real Estate Management, and the Chief Procurement Officer, Purchasing and Materials Management recommend that:

1. City Council receive this report for information.​
Summary
The purpose of the report is to inform the General Government and Licensing Committee regarding an emergency non-competitive contract that the City has entered into with Century Group Inc. under Purchase Order Number 6051271, to provide emergency structural remediation services at the East Wing of Union Station, in the amount of $2,968,877.09 net of Harmonized Sales Tax ($3,021,129.33 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries).

As a result of the demolition undertaken as part of the Workplace Modernization Program to create office swing space at Union Station, it was discovered that there were significant structural issues with the roof and exterior walls of the fourth floor of the East Wing of Union Station. Once discovered, the structural issues needed to be addressed immediately, as required by the Ontario Building Code, to prevent possible collapse, and to ensure the safety of all personnel on site. The structural issues could not have been found by any due diligence processes prior to construction, as only full demolition exposed the structural issues.

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2020/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-158541.pdf

Back