Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
More images from https://blog.metrolinx.com/2020/11/...eres-what-you-need-to-know-to-get-on-the-bus/
1605568949672.png

1605568957318.png

1605568962828.png

sikandar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Existing GO bus terminal to be demolished in December 2020, Phase 2 to start early 2021, Phase 1 occupancy expected Q1 2021. COVID is pretty much irrelevant to this project - full steam ahead!

CIBC SQUARE COMMUNITY OPEN HOUSE – NOVEMBER 26

In early 2021, construction to support Phase II of CIBC SQUARE – 141 Bay Street – will begin, with demolition of the existing GO bus terminal expected to start in December 2020. Once complete, 141 Bay Street will add 1.5 million square feet of office space in a 50-storey premier class AAA office tower. The new building will be connected to Phase I of CIBC SQUARE – also known as 81 Bay Street – by an elevated park that bridges across the rail corridor connecting the Financial Core to the Southcore and Waterfront neighbourhoods.

We invite you to join a virtual open house to learn more about the next phase of construction at CIBC SQUARE on Thursday, November 26, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. Please submit your full name and e-mail address tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com to receive the invitation details.

We have also included a few commonly asked questions about what is upcoming below. We encourage you to submit any questions you have in advance of the event tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com to ensure we can address as many areas of interest as possible.

We look forward to virtually seeing many of you on November 26th.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: CIBC SQUARE PHASE II

What is being planned for Phase II construction at CIBC SQUARE?
141 Bay Street will add 1.5 million square feet of office space in a 50-storey premier office tower, anchored by incoming tenant CIBC. The new building will be connected to Phase I of CIBC SQUARE (81 Bay Street) by an elevated public park that bridges across the rail corridor. Planned public realm improvements as part of the 141 Bay development include two pedestrian bridges connecting across Bay Street directly into Union Station and across Yonge Street directly into Backstage Condominiums, as well as a fully renovated pedestrian laneway connecting Yonge Street and Bay Street.

When will construction start?
Demolition is expected to start in December 2020, with shoring & excavation planned for February 2021. Construction of the second half of the park, the new tower and podium are expected to be complete in Q4 2024.

Will there be overnight work?
Overnight work remains necessary for the construction of several elements of our project. As we are building in an active rail corridor, we are not allowed to have construction personnel or equipment on the rail corridor when the trains are running on the tracks. This means we are only permitted to work at night, when train traffic has slowed. When overnight construction is necessary, we are committed to completing the work as quickly as possible and keeping our neighbours informed. We are working closely with our contractor, EllisDon, to expedite this work, and to reduce as much as possible the impact of the noise for our neighbours.

How loud will construction be?
While any construction site poses noise challenges, there are unique challenges with a project this complex. Much of the early work involves deep drilling to ensure that the building has a strong foundation. We commit to working with our neighbours to keep you informed and where possible take steps with our contractors to limit noise. We will make every effort to give advance notice when overnight or noisy construction is required.

Is Phase I (81 Bay Street) complete?
Construction of 81 Bay Street is nearing completion, with tower occupancy expected for Q1 2021. The new Metrolinx GO bus terminal at 81 Bay is also expected to open in December 2020. The first half of the elevated park and the 81 Bay Street food hall are expected to be completed in late summer 2021.

How do I join the open house on November 26th?
To join the open house on November 26th, please submit your full name and e-mail address tocommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com and the invitation details will be sent to you. We encourage you to share any questions you have in advance to community@CIBCSQUARE.com so we may address as many areas of interest in the meeting as time will permit.

How do I stay informed about what’s upcoming?
We are working closely with our neighbours as we proceed with construction on this project, and we are committed to keeping the community informed. The best way to stay informed is to register to receive regular construction updates and notices atwww.CIBCSQUARE.com/community. You may also contact us at any time atcommunity@CIBCSQUARE.com with comments or questions.

Adjei

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought the buses at the Toronto Coach Terminal are also supposed to move here, I hope it's soon. That place is dead now with the coronavirus so it can be redeveloped.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought the buses at the Toronto Coach Terminal are also supposed to move here, I hope it's soon. That place is dead now with the coronavirus so it can be redeveloped.
They ARE moving but I assume they want to get the GO ones used to their new home before adding other companies to the mix. I do not think there are, to date, any firm plans for the Coach Terminal site but it is clearly in line for 'something'.

fiendishlibrarian

Member Bio
Reaction score
They ARE moving but I assume they want to get the GO ones used to their new home before adding other companies to the mix. I do not think there are, to date, any firm plans for the Coach Terminal site but it is clearly in line for 'something'.

I have heard second-hand that Lanterra is assembling most of the lots adjacent to the terminal up to and including the abandoned boutique hotel at Bay and Elm. The terminal itself may be part of this. I'm quite certain the TTC would like to have it taken off their hands.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
The current GO bus terminal has seven bays, which is barely enough for the number of buses that come in and out at peak times - weekday evenings, and Saturday afternoons/evenings.

I would not be too shocked to see Ontario Northland decide not move to the new terminal, but terminate at Yorkdale. There's already one bus a day from Toronto to North Bay that originates/terminates at Yorkdale. Most ON buses also stop at Highway 407 Terminal now, which provides pretty good connections to GO buses to the airport, Mississauga, and Hamilton.

TOK (formerly Can-Ar) will likely move in with GO, as they already use the existing GO terminal. Without Greyhound operating these days, that only leaves Megabus and possibly ON.

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I have heard second-hand that Lanterra is assembling most of the lots adjacent to the terminal up to and including the abandoned boutique hotel at Bay and Elm. The terminal itself may be part of this. I'm quite certain the TTC would like to have it taken off their hands.

I'm wondering why a site on the north side of Edward would be advantageous relative to redeveloping the Bus Terminal?

Hmmm. The obvious sites would be those fronting Dundas; though a few of those are very nice heritage facades (or would be if restored)(Bay to Elizabeth).

The two Dundas fronting properties next to the GO terminal are quite expendable; apologies to their current occupiers!

None of the Dundas fronting properties from Bay to Elizabeth are even listed, let alone designated!

The Bus Terminal isn't designated either, only listed!

Last edited:

kotsy

Member Bio
Reaction score
The first half of the elevated park and the 81 Bay Street food hall are expected to be completed in late summer 2021.

Was delighted to read this! I was under the assumption that the park wouldn't open until phase 2 was complete.

WillTo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Say what you will about the old GO Bus terminal and Bay St. Coach terminal, but a fundamental positive was that there was room to line up along the side of the buses. (And I am aware that at Bay St. you had to get out of the way and return to your position if a bus needed to get through)

Looking at these photos I have no idea where a semi-long queue is supposed to go except block the main corridor or snake into another queue.

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Say what you will about the old GO Bus terminal and Bay St. Coach terminal, but a fundamental positive was that there was room to line up along the side of the buses. (And I am aware that at Bay St. you had to get out of the way and return to your position if a bus needed to get through)

Looking at these photos I have no idea where a semi-long queue is supposed to go except block the main corridor or snake into another queue.

You don’t wait outside by the bus bay. You’ll wait in the terminal and the doors to your bus bay only open when it’s time to board.
B1B44592-1FE9-46E5-9A5C-A2A00A944335.jpeg

There’s room in the terminal in between the seats to form lines with stanchions if needed.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
You don’t wait outside by the bus bay. You’ll wait in the terminal and the doors to your bus bay only open when it’s time to board.
View attachment 283449

There’s room in the terminal in between the seats to form lines with stanchions if needed.

I assume they also open in the event of an emergency? Nothing quite like being locked in a burning building

bgobgo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Did not realize until @sikandar posted above that there will also be a pedestrian bridge from CIBC Square over Yonge Street directly into Backstage Condo. Does anyone know if that bridge will be in the vicinity of the upper or lower arrow in the image below?

1605702710913.png

Attachments

• 1605702637862.png
    1605702637862.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 41

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm wondering why a site on the north side of Edward would be advantageous relative to redeveloping the Bus Terminal?

Hmmm. The obvious sites would be those fronting Dundas; though a few of those are very nice heritage facades (or would be if restored)(Bay to Elizabeth).

The two Dundas fronting properties next to the GO terminal are quite expendable; apologies to their current occupiers!

None of the Dundas fronting properties from Bay to Elizabeth are even listed, let alone designated!

The Bus Terminal isn't designated either, only listed!

Strange - there are some nice buildings along that block. The terminal building should be preserved of course. Also, the 5 storey building on the north west corner of Bay and Dundas would look great if it were cleaned up and given new windows.