Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nope, that's CIBC Square!
Shoot my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Then this would refer the the South Concourse project. Based on this:
  • Union Station Enhancement Project – Being delivered in various packages of work and includes work on the glass atrium, removing heritage steel, installing overhead lighting, a new south concourse, widening platforms, enabling level boarding, increasing vertical access, upgrades to passenger communications systems, train storage expansion in Wilson Yard, and east track enhancements.

Last edited:

union2pearson

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking East out to Bay Street.

Second is looking in from Bay Street.
DA988FAA-D54C-4123-BACA-C6AA3A24DADD.jpeg
6ABCEC3A-A33A-4BD7-93E3-EF80AB7704A6.jpeg

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry. Haven’t been on in awhile.
Nothing to be sorry for; new pics looking out to and in from the Bay moat doors. They were polishing the floors in Bay concourse a week or so ago so it may actually open sooner than later. (Their contracts seem to have 'deadlines' in quarters so I suspect we will see a flurry of things getting finished between now and Match 31.)

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed today that the doors leading to the east wing City of Toronto offices (@ Bay & Front) were shrouded in orange tarp so I suspect they are being replaced. A few pages back someone was justifiably complaining about the state of the doors leading to the west wing offices (Metrolinx) @ York & Front were in a poor state; I assume they will be replaced next.

Blitz901

Member Bio
Reaction score
Paging @DSC

I have found something for you to lobby to add to the Jersey Barrier enhancement project...............

The almost new railings on the stairs down from York and Front ..............need revitalizing.............err, replacement...............are these still under warranty?

Seriously...............rust, peeling paint, failing finish................this is embarrassingly crap!

View attachment 298365

View attachment 298366
For some reason Canadians still use painted/powder coated steel for outdoor fixtures. Somehow the people that write construct specifications haven't figured out salt + steel = rust.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Coming to General Government Committee next week. From what I heard from Joe Cressy's office a month or so ago, there are plans to replace them 'later in 2021" so we may get something 'on the record' about this.

GL21.29
ACTION​
Ward: 24​
Concrete Barriers at Union Station
Origin
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie​
Recommendations
Councillor Paul Ainslie recommends that:

1. The General Government and Licensing Committee request the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services report to the April 26, 2021 meeting of the General Government and Licensing Committee on a timeline and plan for the remove of the concrete barriers placed as a security measure in front of Union Station.​
Summary
Concrete Barriers were previously set up on April 23, 2018 around Union station as part of increased vehicle mitigation measures, as the threat level was high in the wake of a vehicle-ramming attack in North York that same day.​
Background Information
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie on Concrete Barriers at Union Station
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-164935.pdf)​

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
Coming to General Government Committee next week. From what I heard from Joe Cressy's office a month or so ago, there are plans to replace them 'later in 2021" so we may get something 'on the record' about this.

GL21.29
ACTION​
Ward: 24​
Concrete Barriers at Union Station
Origin
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie​
Recommendations
Councillor Paul Ainslie recommends that:

1. The General Government and Licensing Committee request the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services report to the April 26, 2021 meeting of the General Government and Licensing Committee on a timeline and plan for the remove of the concrete barriers placed as a security measure in front of Union Station.​
Summary
Concrete Barriers were previously set up on April 23, 2018 around Union station as part of increased vehicle mitigation measures, as the threat level was high in the wake of a vehicle-ramming attack in North York that same day.​
Background Information
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie on Concrete Barriers at Union Station
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-164935.pdf)​

I wonder if they will get rid of the ones at Bremner and Lake Shore as well? They put the gate up there to reopen traffic but the thing is permanently closed off.

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if they will get rid of the ones at Bremner and Lake Shore as well? They put the gate up there to reopen traffic but the thing is permanently closed off.
That may have to do with security measures from either the NHL or the NBA or both and may not be something the city of Toronto can change.

stevensontransit

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone knows when the Bay concourse will be open? I saw part of it on Sunday and it looks like almost finished. The screen and the Presto readers are operating there.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone knows when the Bay concourse will be open? I saw part of it on Sunday and it looks like almost finished. The screen and the Presto readers are operating there.
Yes, it is certainly looking 'openable' but I wonder if GO will decide to keep it closed until passenger volumes increase. Why staff two concourses when one is far from crowded?