Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

That may have to do with security measures from either the NHL or the NBA or both and may not be something the city of Toronto can change.

They can certainly change how they addressed it (i.e. by taking the least attractive approach imaginable).

There are lots of good examples, but I particularly like how they handled it outside London Bridge Station -- combines seating, greening, and protection:

1616512734702.png

1616512758178.png

Wow looks amazing.

Someone should email those pics to Toronto City Hall and show a World Class City actually does things.
It certainly looks MUCH better than Jersey barriers (or even Jersey barriers covered in art!) but "amazing"? But "better" is a very low bar. There are numerous examples all over the world of 'traffic barriers' camouflaged as something better - these look fine but hardly amazing!

Last edited:
In London, there's been an aggressive drive for temporary barriers to block traffic for "Low Traffic Neighbourhoods" that are cheaper and much nicer than concrete barriers, mostly in the form of very large wooden planters.

The Bay moat flooring is almost done - the tent has been removed and they are tidying up today. I think the short section to the south end (@ the teamway) is still to be done but ..... (BTW, the work on the bridge above Bay at Platform 3 seems to have gone on for ever (it's been tented for well over a year) and they have not done any of it above the moat, yet.) I suspect that this tidying up stuff is all so they can report that another 'module' was completed 'in the first quarter'. They have a habit of completing projects just before a quarter ends, perhaps if we had weekly reports........

Last edited:
The Bay moat flooring is almost done - the tent has been removed and they are tidying up today. I think the short section to the south end (@ the teamway) is still to be done but ..... (BTW, the work on the bridge above Bay at Platform 3 seems to have gone on for ever (it's been tented for well over a year) and they have not done any of it above the moat, yet.) I suspect that this tidying up stuff is all so they can report that another 'module' was completed 'in the first quarter'. They have a habit of completing projects just before a quarter ends, perhaps if we had weekly reports........

I think most people will start going back to the office in September. It will be nice to see everything mostly completed by then.

Thursday night walk 6 days before quarter end.
Bay side moat
2C41FBC6-52E2-4400-B288-650FF22D9AA1.jpeg

BE194C08-4649-4071-BE25-57384A25C950.jpeg

Looking north from arena /(track 24?)
FF906AD5-F38F-4E2D-936E-2A7CCBFB1F76.jpeg

Thursday night walk 6 days before quarter end.
Bay side moat

I think you beat me by about an hour! I took identical photos, and a couple more through spaces between locked doors.

Looking east from the top of the stairs after having entered via the TTC connection
IMG_0734.jpg

Another one looking north from near arena entrance
IMG_0740.jpg

Looking west from one of the closed track entrances on the Bay west teamway
IMG_0742.jpg

Another west view from a fenced off area (track 6-7)
IMG_0745.jpg

Based on the "face coverings" mural here I'm guessing they expect to open before the pandemic is over...
IMG_0746.jpg

I was hoping with the hoarding around the streetcar emergency exit they would have done something to fix its aesthetics. Now that the hoarding is down it is clear they did nothing.

I am not sure what they really could have done with it short of rebuilding it.

There is probably a code related reason why they cannot operate the streetcar platform while working on the exit however. I may be wrong but I don't think there is another exit out of the platform without running down the tunnel.

Back