Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

You may be right. They DID put new (or returned) lights at NE corner entrance in the fall (photos somewhere above in this thread) and I noticed what looked like new 'brackets at NW corner a few weeks ago.

EDIT: I walked to Union today on my daily walk-about and YES!

View attachment 299050
The lights look great! BUT MY GOD... THOSE DOORS! They have suffered even more than the railings. Based on streetview these were pristine back in 2015.

Looks like the railings were made by MNR Metal in Mississauga: https://mnrcustommetal.com/union-station-toronto/

How ironic that they describe the work as "Rigid, sturdy and reliable as always"... yikes.

The lights look great! BUT MY GOD... THOSE DOORS! They have suffered even more than the railings. Based on streetview these were pristine back in 2015.

Looks like the railings were made by MNR Metal in Mississauga: https://mnrcustommetal.com/union-station-toronto/

How ironic that they describe the work as "Rigid, sturdy and reliable as always"... yikes.

Here are two other examples of low-quality metal finishes in DSC's photo: the black paint has chipped off the bottom of one of the two grand sconce lights (the one on the left side of the door). Also, note the number "97" above the "Union Station" sign on the doorway. One number is black, while the other one is silver.

Last edited:
You may be right. They DID put new (or returned) lights at NE corner entrance in the fall (photos somewhere above in this thread) and I noticed what looked like new 'brackets at NW corner a few weeks ago.

View attachment 299050

wow, those doors match the decrepit railings posted last week just perfectly!

while the railings are awful, I can't help but notice the jersey barrier right at the top of the stairs in the middle of the sidewalk. Why is it located there? Shouldn't it be much closer to the road to prevent cars from entertaining the sidewalk area at all? All this seems to do is obstruct pedestrian flow.
Probably to keep north/southbound pedestrian traffic separated. "Keep right".

New tender out.

I gather this is for a space at least one level below the rider/pedestrian traveled corridor.

1612881878303.png

View attachment 299050
There was a (paywalled) piece in the G&M about these fixtures. If you have a subscription or are otherwise are able to read it ;) , it's a great read: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rea...light-the-way-for-union-station-lamp-project/

wow, those doors match the decrepit railings posted last week just perfectly!
The doors seem to be 'original' - or at least not replaced. This is Streetview from April 2009. They appear to (slowly) replacing all the external door on Union so it seems possible that these ones will be replaced too.

doors 2007.jpg

How good can this company be when they write that their address is 6535 "Milkcreek" when it's actually Millcreek--so not much attention to detail there

Early Notice [from Metrolinx] for prep work- Union Station Enhancement Project

Early geotechnical investigation work is scheduled along the southern most tracks at Union Station from 8 pm March 4 to 5 am March 8, 2021 inclusive.
Residents and workers in neighbouring buildings close to Scotia Plaza may experience noise and vibration. This work is necessary to support the Union
Station Enhancement Project involving a southern passenger concourse.

Early Notice [from Metrolinx] for prep work- Union Station Enhancement Project

Early geotechnical investigation work is scheduled along the southern most tracks at Union Station from 8 pm March 4 to 5 am March 8, 2021 inclusive.
Residents and workers in neighbouring buildings close to Scotia Plaza may experience noise and vibration. This work is necessary to support the Union
Station Enhancement Project involving a southern passenger concourse.
Scotia Plaza? That's rather far from Union Station...

Did they mean Scotiabank Arena? Or Maple Leaf Square?

Nope, that's CIBC Square!
Shoot my bad. Thanks for the correction.

Then this would refer the the South Concourse project. Based on this:
  • Union Station Enhancement Project – Being delivered in various packages of work and includes work on the glass atrium, removing heritage steel, installing overhead lighting, a new south concourse, widening platforms, enabling level boarding, increasing vertical access, upgrades to passenger communications systems, train storage expansion in Wilson Yard, and east track enhancements.

Last edited:

Back