Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't know if it was posted here already but this was supposed to be the original UP Express in the 1950s-1960s.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Saw a few UPX trains at Weston and all 3 were 2 cars only. What got me was the 30 minutes between trains only to see a 2nd airport train 15 minutes after the first one, considering the screens were showing 30 minutes . Next to no riders on the trains, with only one getting on 1 of the 2 airport trains and 2 getting off one of them. The Union only saw 2 get on and none off.

alps

Member Bio
Reaction score
I emailed Metrolinx to ask when the pedestrian tunnel between Bloor station and Dundas West TTC station will open. They replied that it will be completed in 2022 (no exact date yet known). (Sorry if this is common knowledge)

mdu

Member Bio
Reaction score

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
They should just buy the same EMU's as Caltrain with dual level platforms and use these everywhere on GO-RER, since they decided to not convert the existing UPX trains to electric.

Would allow them to use for the UPX (they would need to modify the screen doors to match up, but they will have to do that for any new train they buy) and have one rolling stock for GO-RER/UPX

It would also allow them to slowly convert all GO-RER stations to high platform.

Obviously the UPX-spur specific trains would be shorter.

1613664859128.png

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
They should just buy the same EMU's as Caltrain with dual level platforms and use these everywhere on GO-RER, since they decided to not convert the existing UPX trains to electric.

Would allow them to use for the UPX (they would need to modify the screen doors to match up, but they will have to do that for any new train they buy) and have one rolling stock for GO-RER/UPX

It would also allow them to slowly convert all GO-RER stations to high platform.

View attachment 300554
Those extra doors sort of ruin the look of CalTrain's EMUs IMO.

superelevation

Member Bio
Reaction score

View attachment 300554

^ But could even a single EMU coach picture above be able to handle the turns on the UP Express spur? cc @smallspy

Because we are mad the UP curve is built to the minimal FRA turn radius (iirc) so pretty much any rolling stock should be fine given an appropriate speed (weight also isn't an issue because of FRA stuff).

The dual height doors are kind of suboptimal for the majority of the fleet tho . . .

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because we are mad the UP curve is built to the minimal FRA turn radius (iirc) so pretty much any rolling stock should be fine given an appropriate speed (weight also isn't an issue because of FRA stuff).

The dual height doors are kind of suboptimal for the majority of the fleet tho . . .
Yes IIRC the entire spur had to be built to mainline FRA standards, greatly increasing its cost.

But the upside to this is that you could even pull a bilevel diesel GO train up it without problems. Why you would ever want to do that is another question however...

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Last week when I was out shooting, I noticed a 2 car UP train at Spadina sitting and assuming waiting for a inbound signal and carry on. While walking toward Spadina on Front about 15 minutes later, The train was still sitting there and thought it maybe having issues.

As I walked south on Spadina, it was still sitting there that I took some shots of it and odd seeing a UP train there. After shooting another site, head to Blue Jay Way to get to Front and the train was still there. This is now close to 30 minutes for the train sitting there. As I near the bridge, an inbound UP train was arriving. Shortly after that, I heard the engines kick in and then the bell rang as it started to move toward Union. I guess they were doing a flip of equipment and the first time I seen this happen since service started. Other than the other train having issues, hard to say why the switch was been made consider they only run every 30 minutes these days.