Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

AP01

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've ridden transit all over the world, I use GO all the time and ride TTC/MiWay/Zoom and it still happened to me the first time i rode UP Express. They installed two readers on the same platform that looked identical to each other. They are the same size and shape, same tap face and they were pretty much painted to same colour (one was light purple/greyish vs light green'ish). I tapped the GO reader at Bloor station and tapped UPX at Pearson and was charged max fare. It took several calls to sort it out because if you phone UP Express lines, they can't actually do the refund, it's done through GO Transit, so you get transferred over and have to start the process again.
For sure. It's easy to make that mistake, especially if you're in a hurry.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's nothing premium about UPE at any price. Premium service takes you to/from your front door. This is a toy train marketed as much more but never will be no matter the fare. The "premium" marketing is just that. Marketing.
When compared to taking a taxi or an Uber from the airport it seems pretty premium to me:

- Cheaper!!!!
- Faster
- Free Wifi
- More Comfortable
- Smoother Safer Ride
- Bathrooms

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
I also just want to point out that most people's general impression of the UP (and frankly I'm pretty sure most who read these articles) is that its a good convenient service for catching a plan luxury travel or not. And I am sure commuters who now use it prefer it to whatever they used before (which is why they are using it). Maybe its crowded sometimes but thats because its popular, I struggle to see the issue with UP at its modest cost.

Then again our media in the city loves to swing at our transit if for no reason other than to perpetuate and overexaggerate the general publics sentiment that it is terrible. Of course it could be better but it's arguably already pretty good and we are trending better in a big way.