Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the end, it may not matter as there will be high enough service on the line that they see that they have GO as often or more often.
Not before wasting a ton of money building UPX stations and crippling the express aspect of the UPX service. I think in the end that really matters.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
I dont
So you think we should spend millions on making King/Liberty work with the UPX with high platforms, UPX branding, access, etc and then demolish it all after GO-RER comes around?

You must work for the government
I don't. Could the platforms be made to work with both?

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
We don't know, because the equipment for the electrification of the GO network hasn't been decided upon yet.

Dan
That, and the province/MX are also considering using alternative technologies (rolling stock) for the UPX in the future, as well. Some have interpreted this to mean that the UPX would use GO trains, which would kinda suck.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, we could have high floor service?
Sure, but UPX is more than high floor, The platform lengths are 3 cars long, and there is a branding and standard for the service level that must be adhered to. Have you been to the UPX at Weston or Bloor? They have their own buildings, entrances, kiosks, fare machines, etc etc etc.

You can well say "well dont do that then" but thats not a decision for you to make, as well as the fact of the unknown of the electric GO trains.

I will say this, if the electric GO trains are high platform, it will be a complete mess trying to make Union and every GO station they stop at both high and low platform. I really hope they are not, or at least Dual platform like CalTrain. But they really should be low platform, thats the best option.

But considering Metrolinx has done some wonderful work like making the Union station ceiling for the renovations too low to accommodate overhead wiring for electrification, I would not give out high hopes of them transitioning from a UPX station to a GO-RER one in an efficient or forward thinking manner.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Could they just rebrand the UPX as another GO train line? Coudl the current cars be made to be better for serving the airport?

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sure, but UPX is more than high floor, The platform lengths are 3 cars long, and there is a branding and standard for the service level that must be adhered to. Have you been to the UPX at Weston or Bloor? They have their own buildings, entrances, kiosks, fare machines, etc etc etc.

You can well say "well dont do that then" but thats not a decision for you to make, as well as the fact of the unknown of the electric GO trains.

I will say this, if the electric GO trains are high platform, it will be a complete mess trying to make Union and every GO station they stop at both high and low platform. I really hope they are not, or at least Dual platform like CalTrain. But they really should be low platform, thats the best option.

But considering Metrolinx has done some wonderful work like making the Union station ceiling for the renovations too low to accommodate overhead wiring for electrification, I would not give out high hopes of them transitioning from a UPX station to a GO-RER one in an efficient or forward thinking manner.
The UP has been rolled into GO from most aspects, the different pricing structure *should* only be a software thing (Presto failing there). That being said I'm really not thinking we are going to get high platforms on RER, it's conceivable yes but, if it were to happen I'd expect trains with dual height doors (think Caltrain and others though Caltrain's version looks best). The separate machines etc. are just a relic.

The thing is we can get level boarding and EMU's that are totally compatible with the existing network and that just simplifies things so much. Looking at the service pattern too we aren't really pushing for Metro like frequencies (on single platforms where alighting would be an issue that is). I've thought before about how much of a pain converting all the platforms would be, you've gotta redo tons of stations, change electrical lines, stairs, ramps, other utilities . . . just so expensive, it would be nice but I don't think we NEED it.

SOS_Urbanist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also worth noting from the Woodbine EPR that it looks like the southern island at Woodbine will have a UPX platform. https://woodbine.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/wetransfer/Appendix AREDUCED.pdf

With this along with Mt. Dennis you're really looking at "UP Local".
Even if ride times extend to max 30 mins (seems reasonable to add 5 mins for 2 stops), it is still an attractive airport service. many cities around the world have services that are up to 30 mins. A main issue for boarding times right are the crush passenger loads at rushour which delay the train. that said, it always arrives at Union and loads with extra time to clear the queues so diverting some queues with RER could mitigate this. That said this is all so early so who the hell knows what will happen in 5 years once the station is built :)

max

Member Bio
Reaction score
Transit operators in other cities may have some quaint notion about the meaning of "express" but in Toronto we rightly use the term for a transit line that will stop at every local station on the way to its destination. EXPRESS!

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
All of this hoopla over adding more stations has me thinking. Are there other cities that have dedicated transit lines for their airport from downtown that do not have any intermediate stops?