Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

The corridor looks interesting with all these new dips for underpasses. Is it still possible for long freight trains to use these tracks with what look like big grade changes for underpasses?

The corridor looks interesting with all these new dips for underpasses. Is it still possible for long freight trains to use these tracks with what look like big grade changes for underpasses?
Wouldn't faster passenger trains be a bigger issue - particularly expresses.

I'm sure it's fine, and simply exaggerated by how zoomed in the shot is. The question would be what is the speed limit.

Wouldn't faster passenger trains be a bigger issue - particularly expresses.

I'm sure it's fine, and simply exaggerated by how zoomed in the shot is. The question would be what is the speed limit.

The vertical zoom does exaggerated it but think of that being what the grade is like for a passenger train as if you driving up that in your car.

The speed limit for passenger trains will be 75mph at the fly-unders due to the vertical curvature. The speed limit for freight trains would of course be much lower than that, heck the highest mainline freight train speed I've ever seen anywhere in Canada is only 60mph.

The vertical grades could definitely be problematic for long freight trains, though not insurmountable, as long as its moving that is. If a heavy freight ever had to stop on such a grade, almost assuredly they'd have to split the train apart and moving it up in blocks to get it going again and that take up a huge amount of track time. But other then the occasional short road switcher, there's little chance that any long freight train would ever use this corridor to begin with. If the Halton sub west of MacMillan yard was ever shut down due to a derailment or whatnot, CN freights would likely be run down the Oakville sub & then up the Bala and finally circle around on the York. No chance GO/ML would ever let them operate on the Weston during UPX operating hours for any reason.

Last edited:
The GO train is back doing runs from Weston Road to the 401 again. Not the best quality, I'm no pro and its foggy, but thought I'd share my view.

DSCN7169.JPG

Waiting just east of Weston Road.

DSCN7171.JPG

Taking off west across the Humber River.

Attachments

• DSCN7169.JPG
    DSCN7169.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • DSCN7171.JPG
    DSCN7171.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 1,069
Meanwhile Toronto-Kitchener-London VIA trains this weekend are again diverting via the Newmarket and York/Halton Subs.
TTC Lansdowne buses are on detour by Dufferin St due to bridge work and that is why the Newmarket sub is being use.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? This looks like an insane grade change. How in the world would a train get up that? I can't even picture a streetcar getting up that.

More than likely the grade is being exaggerated due to the zoom/telephoto lens being used.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me? This looks like an insane grade change. How in the world would a train get up that? I can't even picture a streetcar getting up that.
Its just over 2% grade and that a long zoom shot.

Here are close up shots
14555066055_6f34a8dbd1_b.jpg

14083263550_a61dcfccc8_b.jpg

14116783178_720ec5c2a9_b.jpg

Gotcha. Crazy zoom lens. That's still a pretty steep grade for a freight train am I right? Like really steep.
Any RR can handle this grade, but require more horsepower depending on the length of the train. You still find this type of grade or more on mainlines todays, but the RR like to keep it less as much as possible. CN only send a small local with 2 locos as needed down this line during the night between 2-5am. The most I have seen is 15 cars with local switchers.

Longer trains go only as far south as Weston Rd to get to CP Lambton Yard. The longest I have seen is 60 cars and it have 2 road units. Have seen 3 on some trains.

Lack of space is the reason for the 2% grade with the south end being higher at the diamond. I have to checks my records, but off hand it 2.2% grade here.

Does anybody know what the plan is for the pedestrian tunnel link between bloor station and dundas west? There was lots of information up until 2014, and now it appears to have been quietly dropped from the project. There's no mention of it anymore on metrolinx's website.

I'm guessing this got axed to meet timelines?

Does anybody know what the plan is for the pedestrian tunnel link between bloor station and dundas west? There was lots of information up until 2014, and now it appears to have been quietly dropped from the project. There's no mention of it anymore on metrolinx's website.

Not just timelines, but I believe a private building owner has completely messed up the negotiations to expropriate their building, wanting a ridiculous sum of money, or something like that.

So dont expect it soon, or ever.

It was actually mentioned in the latest SmartTrack report. I can't remember the details but you can google it.

Back