Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

If there is a cab at both ends it is probably on the right side at each end, so you would not see the window for it on both ends on each side.

[video=youtube;4AtgLbP2nN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AtgLbP2nN0[/video]

"I'm amazed at how it sounds like a vehicle... like a truck, or a big SUV"

Yup, just like the O-Train, which is a bus on a track. Transmission and all. Fantastic. :rolleyes:

Electrification can't come soon enough. And I hope they just decide it's not worth the bother to retro the Sumitomo's and just ditch them for something that doesn't look like it was designed in Soviet Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt they would do that. I can just see the headlines of it being called a waste all over the papers.

If there is a cab at both ends it is probably on the right side at each end, so you would not see the window for it on both ends on each side.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so.

The one cab end we have seen has clearly shown front windows on both sides of the centre gangway and assorted other paraphernalia like striping and road numbers and lights and the like. If those features were on both ends of each car, I think they would be visible from this angle. Instead it looks like a blank silver metal wall:

Last edited:
It could be presumed that when they run in a 2-car formation, it'll consist of (1) end car and (1) centre car... and when they want to do 3-car formations, they'll plug the second end car back on.

It's easier to remove an end car than it is to remove a centre car and stick the ends together. So while I still think that Voltz has it right (cab is always on the right, so you just don't see it in the photo above), I guess it could be like what I just described and only have a cab at one end.

The blank area would be the baggage rack area.

I understand that the cabs are in opposite corners, where the small windows are, to the right side when facing an end. So the other cab (leftmost) is on the opposite side (not visible).

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so.

The one cab end we have seen has clearly shown front windows on both sides of the centre gangway and assorted other paraphernalia like striping and road numbers and lights and the like. If those features were on both ends of each car, I think they would be visible from this angle. Instead it looks like a blank silver metal wall:

Now keeping in mind that the car is clearly not fully assembled - it seems to be missing a fair amount of paraphernalia on the roof - it is also missing a pilot on the near end, which would be required for it to lead from this end and do so at track speed. And a pilot is a big enough assembly that it wouldn't be something assembled after the fact - just look at the other end of the car.

No, it looks like the information I was given was wrong - the C cars will only have a cab at one end.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The back-and-forth consisted of a UPX set on "T4" and a 10-2 GO set on "T3". Their movements were limited to the area around the 401 underpass. The whole thing was to test how the UPX equipment behaves in the underpass when meeting a GO train at full speed. Both the GO and UPX trains were wired with some high tech camera/sensor gadgetry. They basically lined up on either side of the underpass, and on command, they accelerated at each other and met inside the underpass. The movements would not have done much to settle the track structure west of the Etobicoke North GO station.

This was the first time I had seen the middle track in use. Looks like there are now three usable tracks from Humberview west to Wice.

To pick my own nit - the eb signals at Humberview label the three operational tracks as T1, T2, and T3 even though they are tracks 2, 3, and 4 counting from the north. The signal for the true track 1 is labelled 1024N1 and the true tracks 2-4 are 1024T1-T3. So my reference to T4 is not really correct from an operational perspective. I'm just being stubborn as my own little way of reminding Metrolinx to get on with adding the fourth track :)

- Paul

This photo someone snapped of a C-car being delivered makes it appear like there is a cab only at one end:

Ah, that’s a nice side-by-side comparison of the different rolling stock we have now. These trains look pretty good. Not a big fan of the two-tone sludgy greens, though aside from that I wouldn’t mind seeing these trains for RER (as EMUs, of course).

But that video. You could really hear the roar. I’m glad Kevin Frankish was frank-ish about pointing that out. And that grinding sound didn’t sound great either (tho that'll probably be fixed before opening). That was extremely high for an elevated line.

The back-and-forth consisted of a UPX set on "T4" and a 10-2 GO set on "T3". The whole thing was to test how the UPX equipment behaves in the underpass when meeting a GO train at full speed. Both the GO and UPX trains were wired with some high tech camera/sensor gadgetry. They basically lined up on either side of the underpass, and on command, they accelerated at each other and met inside the underpass. The movements would not have done much to settle the track structure west of the Etobicoke North GO station.

Does that mean they were checking how air turbulence from a GO train might buffet the much smaller UP train in an enclosed space?

Yes. I don't know if the concern is generic to all the tunnels, or just with that one location.

- Paul

Well I think we can all agree that it's a tight squeeze for three tracks in the existing tunnel. The dynamic envelopes for each train probably got really close or touched on paper. Nothing beats measurements in the field though.

GTS Project said:
Reminder: UP Express Service Testing Continues With Overnight Trials Beginning March 30

What we are doing
  • Beginning March 30, UP Express trains will be operating intermittently overnight to get ready for service launch.
  • Trains will be tested every 15 minutes along the corridor from Union Station to Pearson Airport from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.
  • Testing will take place Monday to Friday and will be intermittent pending weather and testing conditions.
  • There will be no testing on Good Friday, April 3.
  • Following the overnight service testing, daytime simulated service testing begins April 13.
  • As with the overnight service testing, trains will run every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday from Union Station to Pearson Airport.
How this will affect you
  • Residents may hear the trains operating in the rail corridor.
  • When UP Express daytime weekday service testing begins on April 13, any remaining GTS construction (e.g. noise walls) will be limited to occasional evenings and weekends.
  • Reminder that train time is any time so please be safe and remember not to trespass onto the rail tracks

Thank you for your continued patience as we prepare for the launch of the UP Express.
Source

Back