News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 775     0 

Toronto Tourism

I have held off posting on this thread for awhile to see how it plays out...anyway, my $0.02:

As some have mentioned Toronto definitely does not have a reality problem--just a marketing problem. Let me explain what I mean, in the North American context, based on now almost 5 years of living in the US. If you take New York out of the equation (and you should, since it is and will remain in its own, very small international league with London) there is not a single city on the continent--not one--with as much going for it as TO. Let's run through the usual suspects:

Chicago: undeniably spectacular downtown and some big-hitting sights, but where's the depth? Leave the downtown and very thin coastal areas and it peters out so fast.

San Francisco: Fantastic city, though pretty small--big sights, spectacular beauty and, unlike Chicago, a fair bit of depth. Probably TO's closest competitor. But very conservative, oddly enough--about architecture for example.

Boston: Beautiful and civilised, but VERY small and provincial. A four-block stretch of Queen West (or these days, East) has more interesting, edgy stuff going on than all of Beantown.

Washington--my current home: Fun for a weekend if you really, really like museums, but as far as a vibrant urban centre goes it's a joke.

Other American cities are clearly one rung below (Phila, Seattle etc) so I won't go through them. Also not going to count LA, since it's such a strange place as to be in its own category--I can't imagine TO is competing with it for tourist dollars.

Here's the crux of it: Toronto is always telling itself that the things we traditionally conceive as selling points--multiculturalism, incredible vibrancy across an unbelievable breadth and depth of neighborhoods--aren't unique or special enough to warrant underpinning a marketing campaign. But they are! Those things are either mostly missing or not on anywhere near the same scale in all but the very top US cities. Try living in Washington--ostensibly a top-deck American city--and you will see exactly what I mean. When I go home to Toronto I practically need a Valium to calm down from all the stimulation of such a varied, huge, exciting place.

When you combine those traditional strengths with a rapidly improving portfolio of big sights, some wacky architecture, and great festivals you have what should be a perfect storm.

Without exception, every non-New York American visitor I bring to or show around Toronto is absolutely blown away by it--by the vibrancy, by the incredible extent of interesting, mostly indie-ish culture, by the quirky neighborhoods, and increasingly by the architecture. By the end of the visit I am fielding questions about Canadian immigration law. This has happened to me half-a-dozen times, and not with people from nowheresville either--these are Angelenos, Bostonians etc.

You also get in Toronto something very much lacking in more established urban centres, which is the vibe--unmistakable if you visit only infrequently from elsewhere--of a city on the rapid rise, growing up and getting more interesting all the time. And without exception, those American visitors had almost no knowledge of the city prior to visiting. The profile's not bad or good, necessarily--just totally neutral.

This leads me to conclude that the issue is 100% marketing--Toronto is going from strength to strength as far as becoming a more interesting, appealing place goes, so that's not the issue. We just have to find a way to tell the world about it, and to somehow translate that energy into a marketing slogan.

It's not easy, but one day someone will figure it out. In the meantime, TO should just keep doing what it's doing--getting more and more daring about architecture, renewing and expanding cultural institutions (and building new ones), throwing fantastic festivals, adding even more people to an incredibly large and vibrant urban core, etc. etc. etc.--and it will all work out. It's too good a secret to stay hidden for long.

In the last year or so I have gotten the impression that Toronto has reached a sort of critical mass, across an impressively wide range of the urban spectrum--from luxury hotels and condos and high culture to the indie stuff that has been its traditional strength--as to be unstoppable. It's going to be a wild ride, and I would be amazed if more international visitors didn't join along the way.

I always thought Toronto was always lacking in a romantic, stylish and hip vibe. I feel like that is the type of quality that attracts many tourists and the main reason Americans would pass up visiting Toronto for Montreal or Quebec City. Walking around Toronto, I just feel it lacks a certain personality and colour and romance. For example most people dress in a fairly bland and boring look, in the winter everyone wears black and it looks like we are a less fashionable version of NYC. Of course my comparison is with cities like NYC, San Francisco, Barcelona, Paris, etc... and not somewhere like Calgary. We do have our more bohemian and fashionable areas but even in those areas it's muted and restrained in comparison to some other-top tier cities. This isn't something that I care so much about these days, but something I used to feel was really lacking when comparing to other cities I really enjoyed.

I go to NYC several times a year, and except for the fashion victims on 7th Avenue, the city on whole is no more stylish than Toronto.
Regardless, allabootmatt's post was brilliant.

^ Concur re NY & stylish-ness - yer average NY-er is pretty much a schlub, not some uber-sophisto as we've told ourselves. Many cities have larger proportions of stylistas (Paris, Rome, even Vancouver) - it tends not to mean much save for a high concentration of vanity and an excessive emphasis on the superficial.

Redundant to say, but allabootmatt's post is both stellar and true, imo.

Are the type of international tourists looking for urban neighbourhoods like Kensington Market the same people who'll be easily hooked by cheesy slogans?

I always thought Toronto was always lacking in a romantic, stylish and hip vibe.
Having just spent the last three years in Fredericton, and having just returned from walking my dog around Cabbagetown where I live, I can admantly say that Toronto's got great vibe.

He must remember that a lot of our tourists will be coming from smaller towns and cities, Fredericton-size or smaller. For a start, let's get people from other parts of Canada to come to Toronto. Heck, do we even advertise or promote ourselves to Ontarians living outside the GTA?

it works.

I know a few friends from the Sarnia and Woodstock area and they always come here to shop in the summer and X-mas.

Really its these local tourists they really drive us as well.

^ Concur re NY & stylish-ness - yer average NY-er is pretty much a schlub, not some uber-sophisto as we've told ourselves.

Yet there's even a romance to the NY schlub: think Jimmy Breslin, or the cast of "Barney Miller", etc...

...and as much as we "promote" ourselves, face it: aside from TIFF-type events, any pop-cultural mass-awareness of Toronto seems to carry a deadpan irony about it (think Simpsons--the show, not the store). Not that we're a tank town; just that we're some kind of Surrealist punchline...

I go to NYC several times a year, and except for the fashion victims on 7th Avenue, the city on whole is no more stylish than Toronto.
Regardless, allabootmatt's post was brilliant.

Iunno, I'd have to strongly disagree with you, Torontonians as a whole are the opposite of fashion conscious, while image is very important in New York City even for the fairly poor. Whether this is a good thing or not is also a matter of opinion. It's not like I'm fashion conscious, but that's how it is in NYC, people rather starve a bit and wear more expensive clothes.

And I'd have to strongly disagree with you as well, as would Pep'r Jack above, who I believe used to live in NYC.

Brilliant post Allabootmat!!! You've said exactly what I've always thought. Toronto's got it going on, and the word will get out, if it hasn't already: I have just come back from a vacation in Provincetown where people from all over go (LA, NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc), and time and time and again when people found out we were from Toronto it would immediately become the topic of conversation. So many we talked with had just been and loved it, or were planning to go. I came away with an overwhelming feeling that the buzz about T.O. was already out there, that the only people who weren't aware of it were.... well, us.

Under the Bush regime more and more liberal-minded Americans have been looking north of the border and liking what they see. Immigration to Canada from the US is at an all-time high, actually starting to mitigate Canada's "brain drain"! Hmmmm, maybe Toronto's new ad campaign should figure somewhere in all of this?...

Back