News   Jun 24, 2024
 333     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 5.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Toronto Tourism

Don't confuse people in New York with New Yorkers. Probably 50% of those "stylish" people you see strolling around Manhattan are tourists or out of towners.

ehhh, I'd think the opposite. The tourists such as me tend to be the unstylish people.

"The tourists such as me tend to be the unstylish people."

Perhaps I'm not referring to tourists such as you?

"The tourists such as me tend to be the unstylish people."

Perhaps I'm not referring to tourists such as you?

Then what kind of tourist are you referring to? a very select few of them? Because the majority aren't hipster, bohemian or fashionista cosmopolitan types. Although NYC would also be the biggest attraction for those types of people and I wonder for what reason?

Then what kind of tourist are you referring to? a very select few of them? Because the majority aren't hipster, bohemian or fashionista cosmopolitan types. Although NYC would also be the biggest attraction for those types of people and I wonder for what reason?

New York is one of the world's major centre's for fashion - the industry. That could explain why you see a lot of fashionable looking people in Manhattan.

New York is one of the world's major centre's for fashion - the industry. That could explain why you see a lot of fashionable looking people in Manhattan.

right, that makes some sense. Parsons school of design has churned out some superstar designers. Many flagship designer stores open in NYC first. The major fashion publications are based in NYC. Many fashion trends started by the bohemians in NYC are copied the world over. Maybe this is a stylish city after all...

I think this discussion is pretty much meaningless. The cuts announced yesterday are going to ensure that Toronto will turn into a dirty, weed-choked, litter-strewn, graffitied, tourist-free hole. I suppose, ironically, the only people this may attract are old-school New Yorkers nostalgic for pre-Giuliani New York.

"Then what kind of tourist are you referring to? a very select few of them? Because the majority aren't hipster, bohemian or fashionista cosmopolitan types?"

Well its not a major point I'm trying to make aand I don't have any data, but New York is an expensive place to visit and I see a type of tourist there who I don't really see here in Toronto. Prosperous Russians, Germans, Swedes, Japanese (other languages i can't identify) usually expensively dressed because they are older. I'm not talking about the student crowd, really.

If you are very rich and visiting North America and you want the North American urban experience you'll do New York every time - why not? Rich Germans in their 50s aren't going to tramp around Kensington market, they're going to do 5th Avenue and call it a day. I am generalizing.

I think this discussion is pretty much meaningless. The cuts announced yesterday are going to ensure that Toronto will turn into a dirty, weed-choked, litter-strewn, graffitied, tourist-free hole. I suppose, ironically, the only people this may attract are old-school New Yorkers nostalgic for pre-Giuliani New York.

Don't you think you're exaggerating just a bit?

I don't want this thread to get miketorontoesque, but it may not be an exaggeration if the city crosses a 'dirt and grit' threshold, where people stop caring and let litter and other maintenance get out of control very quickly. As long as everything's clean and proper, there's incentive to keep it that way. Will Torontonians still walk a block out of their way to recycle a bottle if they perceive the city going downhill? Toronto's supposed to be the city where everything works...that "New York run by the Swiss" quote appears in pretty much every guidebook or review of Toronto.

"Then what kind of tourist are you referring to? a very select few of them? Because the majority aren't hipster, bohemian or fashionista cosmopolitan types?"

Well its not a major point I'm trying to make aand I don't have any data, but New York is an expensive place to visit and I see a type of tourist there who I don't really see here in Toronto. Prosperous Russians, Germans, Swedes, Japanese (other languages i can't identify) usually expensively dressed because they are older. I'm not talking about the student crowd, really.

If you are very rich and visiting North America and you want the North American urban experience you'll do New York every time - why not? Rich Germans in their 50s aren't going to tramp around Kensington market, they're going to do 5th Avenue and call it a day. I am generalizing.

Well yes, this is true, it's just that the average tourist wouldn't fit into that mold just because there aren't many of them in the first place. The average tourist would be middle class visiting the expensive tourist areas along with the wealthy tourists.

As long as everything's clean and proper, there's incentive to keep it that way.

Perhaps it's time to take a page out of Beijing (among other Chinese cities), which is going through a campaign of "civilizing" its residents ahead of next year's Olympics. The campaign includes forcing residents to stand in line for buses, stop spitting, stop cursing, and making them learn English.

CHINA_(s)_0221_Beijing_etiquette.jpg

While most Torontonians I see on the street are well-mannered, I also see an increasing number of people who do need to be reminded about how to behave in public. I see a lot of the latter on the TTC.

Yeah, and think of the rich Yanquis who stick to Paris and don't bother with the rest of France, except for maybe a bit of resort and wine-country stuff...

it may not be an exaggeration if the city crosses a 'dirt and grit' threshold, where people stop caring and let litter and other maintenance get out of control very quickly.
To be honest, I think we are long past that threshold. Riding the garbage-strewn, scratchittied Bloor trains home after taste of the Danforth has confirmed in my mind the notion that a large number of people in this city are brainless, worthless pigs incapable of treating the public realm with anything approaching respect.

fiendish:

To be honest, I think we are long past that threshold. Riding the garbage-strewn, scratchittied Bloor trains home after taste of the Danforth has confirmed in my mind the notion that a large number of people in this city are brainless, worthless pigs incapable of treating the public realm with anything approaching respect.

And as such, they should be treated as brainless, worthless pigs. Of course, what irks me even more is the rest of the riders taking a really passive approach to these things - like how many times have you seen another rider saying anything to the kids who think sitting sideways and taking up 3 seats with their heels on the red velvet seating?

OT

AoD

Back