Toronto Time and Space Condos | 101.8m | 29s | Pemberton | Wallman Architects

I actually really like the POPS in this one. One of my favourite things about this neighbourhood is the alleyways and courtyards, so it would be nice to see it somewhat continued here, but the towers look like just massive walls from the East and West. I'd like to see them broken up more, even if they made them a bit taller, though that probably wouldn't be allowed in the area.

This is moving in the right direction, less monolithic with a bit more sidewalk setback, lower podiums and more gaps between the towers than previous renders. The courtyard on the south end seems more respectful of The Esplanade's park-like qualities.

But there's no question this is still huge in mass compared to the neighbouring buildings. And I will still mourn for Princess St., which will be a dark tunnel. It's already one of the windiest streets I walk on, especially in the cold. It's going to be basically unwalkable in the winter now with the north-blowing winds channeling up from the lake through that narrow canyon.

I'd like to see retail on all four sides.

And I will still mourn for Princess St., which will be a dark tunnel. It's already one of the windiest streets I walk on, especially in the cold. It's going to be basically unwalkable in the winter now with the north-blowing winds channeling up from the lake through that narrow canyon

No difference that all the other streets in the downtown that have high-rises on both sides of the street. Princess would be better served with retail. And the street dividing the block is a great addition to the area. Never liked this massive block.

I'd like to see retail on all four sides.
No difference that all the other streets in the downtown that have high-rises on both sides of the street. Princess would be better served with retail. And the street dividing the block is a great addition to the area. Never liked this massive block.

True, although I can't think of a street nearby that's that narrow with such high buildings on both sides. In the finance district or something further west, sure, but not in the Old Town area. And unfortunately I think the Princess St. side of that building is mainly going to be the parking garage ramps, which I imagine will be quite extensive considering the size of the building, and won't leave much room for retail. They'll probably put the giant wall of HVAC exhaust vents on that side too. It will essentially be the "back" of the building, the ugly part, and likely why the renders are careful not to show it.

But you are correct that this is happening all over downtown and this isn't special. I'm fine with it as a cost of increased density -- and if the building ends up with good retail (that preferably allows restaurants and/or a grocery to replace the Sobey's, and does not sit empty for years) then it will liven the neighbourhood even more.

And unfortunately I think the Princess St. side of that building is mainly going to be the parking garage ramps

My understanding is the parking garages are going to be accessed via the new street that will split the block into two.

This is moving in the right direction, less monolithic with a bit more sidewalk setback, lower podiums and more gaps between the towers than previous renders. The courtyard on the south end seems more respectful of The Esplanade's park-like qualities.

But there's no question this is still huge in mass compared to the neighbouring buildings. And I will still mourn for Princess St., which will be a dark tunnel. It's already one of the windiest streets I walk on, especially in the cold. It's going to be basically unwalkable in the winter now with the north-blowing winds channeling up from the lake through that narrow canyon.
I welcome North blowing winds, as they carry warmth from the South. And where is this Princess Street canyon of which you speak? On the one block that has tallish buildings on both sides, between Front & King? I think you can bear it. Buck up.

Why no retail along The Esplanade? There is retail on the north/east side of The Esplanade/Princess, so why not continue it? I'd also like to see retail on all 4 sides, since Princess and Sherbourne streets also have retail along them.

Okay, that's very cool... maybe I missed something in the renders or the text, is that street splitting north/south or east/west

East west.

East west.
Not exactly... The pedestrian only POPS will be going N-S from The Esplanade to about the middle of the building and then there will be an east-west connection linking Lower Sherbourne to Princess. The west side (to Lower Sherbourne) will be pedestrian only, the east side (to Princess) will be for both garage and service entry plus a pedestrian walkway. Really a "T" with the right-side 'arm' being for cars and pedestrians.

I'm far from a NIMBY, but this scale is inappropriate for the neighbourhood.

And if it winds up happening as proposed, there simply must be retail on all 4 sides. It would be anti-urban not to do so.

Back