Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

And they have already started slipping forms out to form the next floor if you look

So to start holy smokes we take a lot of pictures of those building and thank you for that. I just went back through and this is the only time that I have seen. The sheer walls not connected between the core and the columns i wonder if they're no longer structurally needed? Possibly beams connecting the columns to the core in the future. Will be interesting to see but if they are entirely gone the speed will double as they had to tie each of those walls individually as well as tying the floor into them

Yesterday evening:

PXL_20231029_022509252.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20231029_022509252.NIGHT~2.jpg

Photos taken today, Sunday (Oct. 29). Three shots from the west end, showing 1 Bloor clearly visible, with the newly raised crane also prominent after 2 or 3 more segments added this weekend. Sure looks like 1 Bloor W has surpassed the height of 2 Bloor W!

The first photo taken from the Wallace pedestrian bridge, which is over the railway tracks by Bloor GO station, at Dundas; the second photo from Bloor and Symington, the bridge for the Davenport Diamond project in the foreground; the final shot is from Sterling and Dundas.

YYIMG_0164.jpg
YYIMG_0205.jpg
YYIMG_0236.jpg

Great pictures. We may complain about concrete sidewalks, overhead wires and car centric roads but I don’t think you will find as many trees in another major city as you would here.

Comparisons can be challenging. There are different ways of calculating tree canopy cover which produce slightly different numbers, there's also the matter of where to draw boundaries.

But of major urban Centres in North America, I would probably put Toronto second.

Atlanta, Georgia, by just about every measure is more heavily treed (though less so right in its downtown core)

1698674532040.png

Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7Ryo0SWsAEdz47?format=jpg&name=small

For comparison purposes Toronto is about ~30% tree canopy, where Atlanta is close to 36%

Useless factoid: In the 150m to 300m built and u/c metric, Atlanta has 18 buildings (Toronto has more than 130).

For a metro of 5-6 million (depending on the bean counter/source) Atlanta's downtown built form is relatively modest imo.

None of which is very useful regarding the tree canopy discussion lol... suffice to say Atlanta and Toronto could well be the 2 greenest big cities on the continent.

Atlanta.jpg

Google Earth

Comparisons can be challenging. There are different ways of calculating tree canopy cover which produce slightly different numbers, there's also the matter of where to draw boundaries.

But of major urban Centres in North America, I would probably put Toronto second.

Atlanta, Georgia, by just about every measure is more heavily treed (though less so right in its downtown core)

View attachment 516526
Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D7Ryo0SWsAEdz47?format=jpg&name=small

For comparison purposes Toronto is about ~30% tree canopy, where Atlanta is close to 36%

That's pretty misleading. Atlanta might have 6% more tree cover, but it has about 1/3 the density of Toronto (comparing only city propers, I don't want to embarrass Atlanta too much). As a whole, an area that includes X million people in Atlanta would have far fewer trees and disrupt more of the environment than the same area in Toronto (because although it has 6% more tree cover, it would be 3X the size).

This can be easily visualized by looking at similar areas of the city, about the same distance from their respective downtown, using the same scale. I did not cherrypick here; go on Google Maps and check for yourself:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 12.30.08.png

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 12.28.30.png

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming; Photos taken October 29th, 2023.

The photos will start at Charles east of Yonge, work their way up Yonge, then along Yorkville before a pic from Bloor and Huron to finish.

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02694.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

DSC027181.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02745.jpg

Last edited: