Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

May 10, 2011.

5708219911_aa520b3087_b.jpg

funny how you realize the huge hole/how boring the view here was before trump, 1 fat tower (scotia) situated away from the street, not great for a streetwall.

Did Trump get a height decrease? I saw a diagram a few pages back (page 398) where trump's roof was shorter than commerce court's roof.

Need I remind everyone;

As per my drawings,

The super penthouses are on levels 56 and 57 (227.185m)

Levels 58 and 59 are tank roofs, with the highest being at 236.505. Everything above this point is not part of a typical floor.

The building is 276.886 metres to the top of the spire.

That's 776ft to the roof (not the quarter dome) and 908.5ft to the tip of the spire.
Its pretty clear that wopchop is working on Trump and I don't see any reason why he would present inaccurate data/or lie.
What exactly was skyscraperpages source anyway? Not that the difference is that significant.

Last edited:
Here is a partial elevation of the top (dated June 2010)

spirelevation.jpg

Sorry for the poor scan, but you can still clearly see the height of the spire (276.886).

thanks a bunch! that's sweet! the "illuminated glass spire" makes me excited!!!
*and what the upper portion of the building (including super-penthouse(s) ) going to be clad in? (glass, granite, both)

Can someone please do the math and refer to this from now on as the 1/8 onion dome. I used to call it the 1/4 onion dome but I err'd. Clue: it's an onion cut in half and then quartered. ;-)

if you look at it 3Dimentionally (lol, 3Dementia!) with 2 sides included, it's 1/8th, but from one face, it's 1/4

No onion dome is ever a whole onion or the analog to a complete sphere. They always have the bottom portion cut off in order to mount to the tower below.

3280972596_51219e2d23.jpg

(Image by Wonderlane found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderlane/3280972596/

So at best, even a true onion dome is only three/fifths of an onion. Furthermore, Onion domes traditionally are wider than the base they sit on, while at Trump this is not the case. Because of of the fact that it is only one quarter the way around and so narrow, this is why I call it a Clove of Garlic dome.

Call it what ever you want. We are not talking about true traditional onion dome architecture anyway, so it is only a matter of semantics.

Hmm, I'm really hoping that when it's topped out and the curtainwall is complete it will look better as a whole. Right now, I'm not digging this beast at all which is too bad because there are some things I like but some design elements are really turning me off.

Back