Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Concrete pouring means that nowadays each level needs about a week to properly dry. Using steel beams, you could build as fast as your labour force could put it in place.

Old_timer_structural_worker2.jpg

And in the days before unions and minimum wages, labour was really, really cheap so you could literally hire an army of workers.

Makes one wonder, why is it so rare to see steel construction these days? Considering all factors, are reinforced concrete buildings actually better? Or is it simply a matter of cost?

nice... and dare i say, when this thing is maxed out in height, probably the crane (or whatever crane they switch over to) will be taller than scotia plaza, which will be crazy to see on the skyline and even ever!

Might even be taller than FCP! The crane has to put in the spire/dome structure, which is awful heavy so I don't think they can switch over to a smaller crane for that. The spire alone reaches up to either 925 or 908ft. So just the boom of the crane has to clear that, then you have the upper part of the crane, it could reach 1000!

Might even be taller than FCP! The crane has to put in the spire/dome structure, which is awful heavy so I don't think they can switch over to a smaller crane for that. The spire alone reaches up to either 925 or 908ft. So just the boom of the crane has to clear that, then you have the upper part of the crane, it could reach 1000!

maybe! in chicago they used a helicopter to assemble the spire.

Will Donald Trump himself (or maybe a Trump member) be here for the opening (either hotel or the entire building)? similar to like what he did in chicago when that tower was finished,

Why is it this building will take nearly 5 years to complete, when the empire state which is twice the size only took a year to complete 80 years ago!

Exactly. I'm guessing they're all unioned workers so they like to take their sweet ass time and will use safety regulation excuses. There is no reason why buildings should take so long to be constructed with modern technology. Even a 40 story tower takes 2 years or more to complete now.

Last edited:
Exactly. I'm guessing they're all unioned workers so they like to take their sweet ass time and will use safety regulation excuses. There is no reason why buildings should take so long to be constructed with modern technology. Even a 40 story tower takes 2 years or more to complete now.

it's got nothing to do with the workers taking their time, besides, you have to remember that work only commences during the day, and often only during the regular work week (or at least that's when most work gets done),
not sure if they worked at night on the ESB?, but i know they worked every day.
there are plenty of factors contributing to why Trump is taking a while,
the small lot, tall ceilings, method of forming floor plates, etc....

but yeah, i hate waiting 5 years for skyscrapers to be built!

That's pathetic. All the more reason we need to scrap unions.

Ya right, 44 hour work-weeks, a "living" wage, paid overtime, health benefit packages and worker safety be damned. Learn some history of those who fought for all of what we take for granted today.

The current crane will actually obstruct construction of the spire/dome.

What an absolutely ignorant response.

There are many reasons for it taking a lot of time. For instance, want to know how many full work weeks the ironworkers and concrete guys have had in March and April? The answer? Not many.
And they don't get paid for being sent home early. You might think a 10 - 20 km/h breeze on the ground is not much at all, but once you get to level 35 or 40 or 50, that breeze is more like 40 or 50 or 60 km / h. That is when things start to get dangerous. Just last week the wind was preventing me from walking. It was that strong.

A breeze doesn't even have to be that strong to shut down operations on site. Considering how close we are to other buildings, if it's too windy, the crane can't operate, and that brings a lot of work to a standstill.

We also have to contend with primadonna office-workers who bitch and moan if we shut down the sidewalk (to hoist or unload trucks), or if we start working too early, too late, etc.

And yeah, this shit is dangerous, and if you don't take your time, people get hurt or die. It happens. Don't kid yourself. I know and know of people who have lost fingers, broken legs, been paralyzed, etc. because some chump like you wanted them to "hurry up" and meet their arbitrarily decided schedule of how long work should take. It's real easy to point fingers from behind your screen on your cozy chair.

Get a clue before you run your mouth.

Last edited:

Why don't we use that method of construction for all buildings then if it will expedite the process? What are the advantages of building with concrete over steel, except cost? I would think developers would want to build as quickly as possible and make use of their properties. In this case, what buyer would want to wait 4 years for their unit to be ready? If I had to wait that long I'd probably have a change of heart and would want out of my contract.

Yeah, I believe the crane is jumping up either today or tomorrow. I can't recall.

As promised the crane was raised today, it can be seen behind Bay-Adelaide

Back