Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

From today...
20100807a206.jpg

20100807a101.jpg

I give that building with the flag on top 25 years before it's redeveloped into something taller. Running out of land for new office buildings some folks say? Nonsense--buildings can come down for taller buildings in the future.

There's nothing wrong with that building, it's still a modern-looking building with interesting features..
there are a lot more ugly-looking buildings from the concrete-era 60's and 70's that could come down before that one..

There's nothing wrong with that building, it's still a modern-looking building with interesting features..
there are a lot more ugly-looking buildings from the concrete-era 60's and 70's that could come down before that one..

Actually, the concrete era brought us plenty of interesting buildings and there aren't that many ones which should be demolished. Some are in need of heritage status. Regardless, urbandreamer was probably not commenting on the design but on the fact that it's a relatively small building in the Financial District. It's not a landmark and could be redeveloped in the future for something taller.

August 8

Looking south on Bay Street a small piece of the Trump Tower is visible.

The LED lights will be visible at night once the building is completed.

This is brilliant ^^^! the strip of green that will be visible should really stand out even from Bay street (north of queen). i think the onion/spire will look amazing wedged in between scotia/FCP. for me thats what i'm most looking forward too :)

I think it's interesting that the thread still shows the height as "60ish" storeys lol.

I think it's interesting that the thread still shows the height as "60ish" storeys lol.

i'm still kinda puzzled. it seems pretty official that trump will stand 60 stories, but on the news and what not, they always say "rising over 60 stories"...

That's actual a 1950's building that was re-clad in the 1980's.

looking at geekaroo's shot, will the granite stop on the south side on the floor above the top balcony?

btw: i've always found trump "fat" from this angle... from here its always looked as wide as Bay Adelaide. (this is all because you don't see the whole thing and also because you're seeing both west/south sides.

Last edited:
Those balconies look slightly ridiculous and the concrete-looking granite parking lot cover-ups are dreary. But, I will hold off any definitive judgment until this thing is complete.

That's actual a 1950's building that was re-clad in the 1980's.

1962/91.

I think one of the reasons it comes off so sore-thumb/sitting-duckish is that it's so obviously a holdout parcel within the FCP superblock (I believe it was built for North American Life, as an annex to their 30s King Street HQ; when that was demolished, NAL concentrated their operations here until moving up to Yonge + Finch, which set the stage for the present reno.) Of course, it doesn't help that the FCP podium itself is so unrelentingly low and horizontal that something like this couldn't help but "stick out"--though the present Michael Graves-ian makeover certainly makes the most of it...

1962/91.

I think one of the reasons it comes off so sore-thumb/sitting-duckish is that it's so obviously a holdout parcel within the FCP superblock (I believe it was built for North American Life, as an annex to their 30s King Street HQ; when that was demolished, NAL concentrated their operations here until moving up to Yonge + Finch, which set the stage for the present reno.) Of course, it doesn't help that the FCP podium itself is so unrelentingly low and horizontal that something like this couldn't help but "stick out"--though the present Michael Graves-ian makeover certainly makes the most of it...

Oh wow.. it does not look like a 60's-era building, they did a good job..
The point was I think it's still an interesting looking building, and there are others that could easily be demolished before that one

Oh wow.. it does not look like a 60's-era building, they did a good job..

Though the vertical striping gives a sense of how it once looked. (I believe it was white brick originally--anyway, also think of a lot of those lower University spec buildings of the period before they were demolished and extreme-madeovered in the 80s and 90s.)

Back