Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

It's kind of a big "F you" to Scotia tower :(

I'm still a little hopeful that the vast areas of pre-cast will look better when contrasted with the glass and that weathering will give it more character over time.

Haha. So true. The east side of this thing is definitely the worst thing to happen to the Financial District since... ever.

The entire tower is ugly if you ask me. From the turquoise/teal hue to the cringeworthy post-modern pastiche of cheap materials, I just don't like this thing.

Is it me, or is the use of teal/turquoise/green just getting a little too ubiquitous in the downtown core? Are developers really this myopic to build a sea foam green colony of towers? They'll obviously look horrifically dated within a decade.

I agree that the whole thing is turning out to look ugly. At night it looks even worse and like it came from a swamp.

trumptoweratnightAug1st2010.jpg

I know I'm gonna like the Shangri-La a whole lot better when it's completed.

I agree that the whole thing is turning out to look ugly. At night it looks even worse and like it came from a swamp.

I know I'm gonna like the Shangri-La a whole lot better when it's completed.

I think its a bit harsh to judge towers before they're complete.. besides, trump will be lit up at night with fancy lighting, etc... so we haven't seen it yet :D!

Plus, shangri-la is nowhere near built yet,. we haven't seen any sorta cladding on it. who knows, maybe they'll install the same green/granite cladding used on trump for shangri-la :eek:

btw: haters don't judge trump! it's still on the rise :D!

The entire tower is ugly if you ask me. From the turquoise/teal hue to the cringeworthy post-modern pastiche of cheap materials, I just don't like this thing.

Is it me, or is the use of teal/turquoise/green just getting a little too ubiquitous in the downtown core? Are developers really this myopic to build a sea foam green colony of towers? They'll obviously look horrifically dated within a decade.

The materials are anything but cheap and it's hardly a pastiche of materials, being consistently clad in granite and glass. I don't like to see too many green towers but at Trump it's not just green from cheap glass. They're injecting some deliberate colour, which is out of the ordinary among the many grey towers built in the past decade.

Perhaps if the design had played up the tower's disparate functions - from parking garage to hotel to condo - rather than shrouding the whole thing in some sort of Flash-Gordon-meets-the-Gulag costume the result might have worked.

The materials are anything but cheap and it's hardly a pastiche of materials, being consistently clad in granite and glass. I don't like to see too many green towers but at Trump it's not just green from cheap glass. They're injecting some deliberate colour, which is out of the ordinary among the many grey towers built in the past decade.

I agree that the choice of this colour green is hardly a major failing. Although they are somewhat unusual there are precedents for green hued towers, especially in the deco era, including the Mcgraw-Hill Building in New York and the lovely Pellissier Building in Los Angeles.

In any case, the colour does seem to have been more definitively and more deliberately chosen; in contrast to the ubiquitous default of cheap green glass which is taking over the skyline like crabgrass--and the presence of which i would increasingly put in the category of blight.

2f8692f3.jpg

Maybe someone should ask Zeidler about the east wall. I know he probably only passed a wavering hand over the finished drawings, but why did he bless that wonky east wall (or the random balconies on the south side)?

The rest of the building is fine. It's hardly a swamp creature. It's just a bit dowdy and out-of-date. Which, I imagine, will be the profile of its residents.

Back