News   Jul 26, 2024
 147     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

If the province's funding could collect interest as it sat in the trust fund, then by the time it grows enough to cover the full cost (20+ years), there might be enough reason to start building this line.

I've never liked the yorkU ext., a lot for my own distake for YorkU, but also, it doesn't make sense. I would have been much happier with the looping of the YUS line at steeles.

Vaughan Subway Line to NOWHERE!

I'm surpried there isn't more public outrage over this plan. We are being asked to spend $2 BILLION + on a Subway Line out to the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!

If Vaughan Corporate Centre was currently a Mississauga City Centre in the making, by all mean let's extend it there, however, it's NOT! There is nothing there!

As a matter of fact during my last visit to the "VCC" a few weeks ago, I found that there weren't even any sidewalks leading up to empty VIVA bus shelters.

This is Outrages! We are going to spend an extra billion dollars to extend the subway under empty fields to reach the world's largest badly planned mega big box development?

Am I the only one who believes this is an f'n joke?

Louroz

Re: Vaughan Subway Line to NOWHERE!

There are no actual indications that the line will be extended to VCC - such a plan only exists in the very preliminary stages, and as others have mentioned, your formula assumes that the funding will be provided equally from all 3 levels of government (which is unlikely, given the fiscal climate).

As to the isuse of public outrage over this - incidentally, empty fields is exactly what the 403 transitway runs along. Where is the public outrage over this poorly thoughtout proposal based on dubious planning principles?

AoD

As to the isuse of public outrage over this - incidentally, empty fields is exactly what the 403 transitway runs along. Where is the public outrage over this poorly thoughtout proposal based on dubious planning principles?

I don't get this either. Is the transitway still supposed to be the one shown on Transit Toronto or has the plan changed significantly?

ahrvojic:

Basically yes. Honestly, I am all for investing in public transit in Mississauga, but it would make far more logical sense to use existing arterial roads for such systems - Like Burnhamthrope, Eglinton, etc - there is already a good level of ridership along these routes, not to mention, development opportunities along the corridors. Putting a transitway on 403 would not have such a level of synergy at all.

AoD

FutureMayor, don't you work for the city of Mississauga? No offence, I dont know that I see you as the most impartial commentator on this issue.

polo, I don't work or live in Mississauga and I agree entirely with FM's sentiments. This is very bad public policy. I can't wait to hear what Rick Ducharme has to say about this. I bet he won't be too happy either.

Remember that it's not 2 billion for a subway to Vaughan, it's a couple hundred million extra, money which Toronto tax payers don't have to pay. I agree that this is a terrible location for the subway, and I'd rather see the province's share (maybe 150 million) spent on other transit projects. You've all heard me rant about how useless a subway to VCC is.

But still, we're only talking about 2 km, and you can be sure that the subway will be built in stages. No matter when the subway actually reaches Highway 7, it's still much smarter politically to call this the Vaughan extension than the Spadina extension - even if it only reaches Vaughan 20 years from now.

The $7 million pledged to the viva ROW design stage is a much better step. Ridership will be much higher on the Yonge and Highway 7 transit right of ways than it will ever be on the subway.

Is this second subway thread really necessary? Its just FutureMayor's personal soapbox.

I can't wait to hear what Rick Ducharme has to say about this. I bet he won't be too happy either.

His demands were met. The province also kicked in an additional $200M for maintenance of the current transit infrastructure.

We both know the city will clawback their own funds, but the province did give TTC the additional funding required.

Second to this, York will be paying for operation of the route north of Steeles just as they do with the bus routes that cross borders. You can expect TTC will charge them on the order of $8000 per hour per train (a bus goes for about $110 per hour) to cover capital (rolling stock), staffing, and maintenance. Expect an average of 2 trains to be in that segment at any given time -- so about $6M per year to operate.

From that ~$6M to operate the two stations, York Region can factor in savings of bus personnel, tax revenues, and other things to justify it.

Smart-card based fares will likely be subdivided based on %age of route in a given area, so york region would recieve revenue from that segment.

Say $1 for the York Region component from VCC and $3.50 to go the rest of the way downtown (takes into account inflation).

Or $1 to York Region for that component to start at VCC, and $0.50 to get to York University (3 to 4 stops).

"money which Toronto tax payers don't have to pay"

Toronto taxpayers still pay provincial and federal taxes.

^ this thread has more focus, the other is more general to the budget.

-Perhaps the reason the subways now goes to VCC is that they've already dug a giant hole at Jane and 7. Just drop a station there and you're good to go.

Jane-Street.jpg

"As a matter of fact during my last visit to the "VCC" a few weeks ago, I found that there weren't even any sidewalks leading up to empty VIVA bus shelters."

Did the sinkhole eat the sidewalks? El Chico is right - construction has already begun!

"Toronto taxpayers still pay provincial and federal taxes."

Yes, but aren't Toronto taxpayers still saving money - even if operating costs are included - by having it extended to where York Region will start paying a share? I admit that's a lousy reason to support a subway, but...

"As to the isuse of public outrage over this - incidentally, empty fields is exactly what the 403 transitway runs along. Where is the public outrage over this poorly thoughtout proposal based on dubious planning principles?"

But the transitway connects to the Eglinton West subway - how dare you question the worthiness of that endeavour.

Back