News   Jul 26, 2024
 492     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 417     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 346     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

It would be nice to get the Yonge line to Steeles at the same time as the York University extension. I don't think the Vaughan extension warrants underground. Couldn't they use some sort of overground method to get to VCC?

There is no reason to build the subway line to Vaughan Corporate Centre. There just isn't the density around that area to warrant such a line. The priorities for subway expansion after the York U extension is completed should be extending the Sheppard line to STC to replace the worn out Scarborough RT, and building the Eglinton line to eventually connect to Pearson Airport and the Mississauga Transitway.

10 York Region bus routes feed Yonge via Finch or the Sheppard subway. Of those 10 bus routes, 9 operate entirely east of Dufferin. In other words, at least 90% of the YRT bus riders who use the Yonge subway live far enough east that they will always be closer to the Yonge subway.

As far as the Spadina line goes, most of Vaughan is already served by bus routes which either feed the Spadina line, or at the very least have no direct service to Finch.

See where this is going? If you live in a part of York Region where it's logical to use the Spadina subway, you already do. If you currently use the Yonge subway, there is a 95% chance that you live too far from the Spadina line to use it once it reaches Highway 7. In other words, the extension to Vaughan will, optimistically, lower riderhip at Finch by 5%.

VCC definitely doesn't have the density to justify a station. But Vaughan seems to really want one. So make it a condition, not a fait accompli.

Sure, they can do a subway stop at VCC. On the condition that they come up with a development plan that justifies it -- and make it public. While I do support extending the subway, I cannot believe that we are going to let them get it with nothing in return.

Are there any public pressure groups or watchdogs that monitor Vaughan muni stuff, or any columnists and so forth who can be written to? Complaining is one thing, but I'd like to know what can be done. To start with, I see that the VCC is in Vaughan's Ward 4, whose counsellor is Sandra Yeung Racco (sandra.racco@vaughan.ca):
www.city.vaughan.on.ca/va...essage.cfm

But what kinds of questions does one ask?

disparishun: I have to agree with your posts and welcome to the forum.

I can understand some of the resentment towards an extension to VCC, but as said, there is certainly a lot of potential. The Shephard line probably surprised a few people with the amount of high density development it has encouraged and with Vaughan being such a blank slate there is a lot of potential.

There is likely to be more expansion on existing lines and maybe even new lines with what appears to be a new found, all round commitment towards transit so anyone dissapointed this time might just be happy in a few years time. There is a lot of positive development that could very well come from this project is people where to put their energy into ensuring that growth patterns in the York region adapt to something more suitable of an area that has subway access.

Rathburn station is only ground level with bus layover bays to the east of it.

St Clair Today after SOS mess

I was up on St Clair Ave this week for the first time this year west of Bathurst St as I wanted to see what has happen since the SOS withdrew their legal action.

I started east from Keel St where I saw fresh marking on the road and sidewalks.

I ran into a construction crew while on the streetcar at Caledonia Rd who were in the process of installing a new gas line in the curb lane. The new line has been installed in the north west bound curb lane all the way over to Bathurst St.

Another crew was in the process of construction of a new gas line with saw cutting taking place for the east bound curb lane at Oakwood heading east.

At Spadina, some sort of metal forming frame was being put together on the south side with a crane.

One block east, there was a flat deck sitting on the tracks in the island area and I thought all the rails were on site last year. Could be for St Clair west station or Vaughan Rd section

Work is schedule to be in full force by June and it will stop at Vaughan Rd this year.

Once work reaches St Clair West station as well for Vaughan Rd, buses will replace the Streetcar and track work will be done in the station at the same time.

Talking to Joe Mihevc at TTC meeting, he said he has gain enough road width reductions to the point that some sidewalks will see no cutting at all now compare what was plan.

No word when the design for phase 2 will take place as mandated under the EA approval, but it should start in the coming months so not to delay the work for 2007.

It is my understanding the 2007 work is not going to start until the fall of 2007 and this means the rest of the line will not be finish until 2008 now.

Got to thank SOS for this.

I now got to find a good day as well time to finishing photographing each intersection and existing islands for the rest of St Clair that I did not get shot last year as a before and after shot before the construction starts and then do an after shot once construction is done.

Everyone is happy to see work taking place now.

Talking to Joe Mihevc at TTC meeting, he said he has gain enough road width reductions to the point that some sidewalks will see no cutting at all now compare what was plan.

That's a great piece of news. Regarding the delay - I can see SOS et al. (esp. the businesses along St. Clair) arguing how this extended period of construction is causing them financial distress, while convieniently avoiding any mention of their role in the delay.

AoD

Waiting for a year was a pain in the ass, but there are some things to look forward to. For one, they're burying all the hydro wires and construction crews have been out in full force the last three weeks ripping up a one-foot-wide trench on either side and laying cables.

National Post

Link to article

It already feels like end of the line
Jane and Highway 7: Geese greet guests at site of proposed subway extension

Zosia Bielski, National Post
Published: Saturday, March 25, 2006

Welcome to the site of the Greater Toronto Area's newest subway terminus.

Yesterday, the scene at Jane and Highway 7 -- where the Spadina line will extend by 2013 -- was bleak.

A muddy field stood empty, save for empty beer bottles, for-lease signs and a stray shopping cart. Around it stood a Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Future Shop and Home Outfitters. With a sinkhole closing Jane at Highway 7 since Feb. 8, Canada geese outnumbered pedestrians three to one.

Thanks to Thursday's $838-million windfall for transit in the Greater Toronto Area, this is where the subway will stop in seven years.

"I'll be dead by then," said Serge Mansour, manager of the local Home Outfitters. "A couple of years would be better.''

Yesterday, Mr. Mansour estimated that business was down by 50% because of the sinkhole.

At the nearby -- and empty -- Subway restaurant, employees didn't register much excitement either: Business there is down by 75%.

"Why don't they just leave the hole until then?" quipped an employee at the employment resource centre next door, referring to the fact that Vaughan officials won't have the hole, presumed to be a water main leakage, sealed until at least May.

The subway extension fits in to Mayor David Miller's hopes of uniting downtown Toronto and the 905, with Vaughan serving as a major transportation hub between the two regions.

Geese and sinkholes aside, Jane and Highway 7 is prime territory for a subway line extension, according to TTC spokeswoman Marilyn Bolton.

"Think back to Scarborough," Ms. Bolton said yesterday. "There wasn't much at Kennedy, but now look at it. I'm amazed: It's become a real centre."

Ms. Bolton reminded naysayers that Wilson was similarly desolate when the city extended the Spadina line there from St. George in 1978. "If they hadn't built that, the Yonge line could not handle all the traffic from the north to the south today."

The north end of the Spadina line is now Downsview, built in 1996. Although the area hasn't developed into a burgeoning downtown hub, local landmarks include Downsview Park, site of the World Youth Day papal visit, as well as the ''SARSstock'' concert, which flooded another nearby hallmark, the Idomo furniture store, with sewage. Downsview Park used to serve as an airstrip for a military base, and is now slated to become the country's first urban national park.

"You plan your city where your development will go and you build your subways in underdeveloped areas because it's cheaper. You don't wiggle it around the CN Tower," Ms. Bolton said. "The subway is a fixed item. It's not like a bus route -- you can't change it around. You want it going in the right place."

As of yesterday, the TTC's environmental assessments only extended to Jane and Steeles streets, even though Finance Minister Dwight Duncan's budget touted a subway line farther north, to Jane and Highway 7.

"That's because up until yesterday we didn't have any money -- we weren't going anywhere," Ms. Bolton explained.

"If that's where they say it's going, that's where it's going." She said there will be plenty of time to draw up environmental assessments for a subway stop at Jane and Highway 7 as the other parts of the line are built in coming years.

Ms. Bolton said she could only speak "speculatively" about Jane and Highway 7 -- an area known for Black Creek Pioneer Village and its long-horn beetles --as a city hub.

"I'm a downtown kid," Ms. Bolton said. "I can hardly imagine it."

-----------------------​

Is Bolton really a TTC spokesperson? Sounds like a Vaughan promoter to me. She appears to have her priorities mixed up with her "You plan your city where your development will go and you build your subways in underdeveloped areas because it's cheaper."

... and Kennedy is hardly the centre of Scarborough unless you're talking about The Brick.

^ It reads like she's calling for a subway stop for every Big Box store in the GTA

"Ms. Bolton reminded naysayers that Wilson was similarly desolate when the city extended the Spadina line there from St. George in 1978."

It still is desolate, and will remain desolate.

Remember what Yonge and Finch and Yonge and Sheppard looked liked in 1974. Very suburban. Vaughan needs to agree to build something like NYCC.

^ :lol

(Edit: LOL at scarberian's post)
Wilson is a real hub of activity compared with Jane and Hwy. 7. Ms. Bolton and others should go up there and look around. There is no, repeat no, residential development of any kind. There is a large freeway on the south (407), a large freeway on the west (400), and a large CN rail yard to the east. None of these will be going anywhere soon. To the north, a fairly new industrial area extends all the way up to Rutherford Road. The corner itself, including about two blocks to the west, is dominated by big-box stores and a humungous movie theatre complex.

Can this be changed? Yes, to some extent, but it will require the political will in Vaughan to rezone and really encourage an intensified, true city centre or mixed-use hub. There are few indications that they intend to do anything like that.

The subway should end at Steeles Avenue, unless and until real changes happen in Vaughan. IMO it's hard enough to justify running it up to Steeles, never mind any farther.

I'm not sure what's being planned for VCC. Is there anything big happening? There's already a lot of that area that's developed (Interchange, Wal-Mart plaza), so can someone tell me what concrete plans there are for this area? The Downtown Markham project looks and sounds better.

Back