News   Jul 26, 2024
 125     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 871     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 724     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Great news about the ROW.

I've been to Italy (though not Italian), but some of my best friends are Italian. We all support transit.

God... with so many more important issues facing the city, I can't believe the energy these people are putting into this relatively insignificant one. Get a life, get a hobby, get a job... get something...

italian-thumb.gif

and i support the st. clair ROW. :b

Which side of tracks fight are residents on?
(Posted Date: Thursday, February 16, 2006)
Survey of residents on both sides of St.Clair shows the community almost evenly split pro and con.
By Town Crier Staff (Karolyn Coorsh, Kris Scheuer, Sandie Benitah)

The majority of businesses and local councillors are against a dedicated streetcar lane but according to an informal Town Crier poll of 200 people living in the vicinity of St. Clair Ave. West, residents in the area are split right down the middle on the controversial issue.

About 40 percent of people who live and shop in the area said they would like to see the streetcar project surge ahead as planned. But 37 percent of those polled said the idea should be scrapped.

The number of people who were either undecided or uninformed about the issue amounted to nearly 23 percent.

However, those who did know about the issue weren’t shy about voicing their opinions on the topic.

"If the purpose of it is to decrease (travel time) by five or six minutes on the route, it seems like a waste of money," said Adam Hirsh, who lives in the St. Clair and Bathurst area. "I support spending money on public transportation but I wonder if they could do a better job spending it."

Hirsh is also worried the concrete dividers, as set out in the design plan, would make the neighbourhood look ugly.

"I think it’s going to be a lot of construction and a lot of headache for what? Saving five minutes? I don’t think it’s worth it," said Angela Mirosa, a frequent shopper on the strip. "Parking is already a nightmare around here."

But Antonella Granieri, a local resident, said she believes it will help solve the neighbourhood’s traffic concerns.

"When there are accidents as results of cars in the streetcar lane it ties up traffic even more than if we did have a right-of-way," she pointed out.

Granieri was one of 80 people who voted in favour of the project. Thirty-eight people out of 200 said no to the question "Do you agree with the St. Clair streetcar Right-of-Way project?"

At times, the question needed to be explained and clarified for people who said they weren’t familiar with the issue.

Twenty-six people said they were unaware of the issue while 20 said they couldn’t make up their mind either way.

The debate around the right-of-way project has resulted in complex discussions, countless community meetings, costly court battles and even threats to boycott businesses that oppose the project. The issue has engaged the entire community, though some preferred to distance themselves from the drama.

"I think it’s okay but I don’t know much about it," said Maria, a senior living on Winona Dr. "In my opinion it’s better if streetcar is arranged and everyone is happy. (It’s causing) too many arguments."

Others just wish the issue weren’t so complex.

"I’m still undecided I guess. I keep hearing conflicting reports," said one resident of Humewood Gardens, who didn’t want his name published. The man said he uses both the streetcar and his car, and therefore, he can understand both sides of the controversy. "I won’t head past Dufferin because there’s nowhere to park there. I heard conflicting reports about the streetcar being faster. I don’t know — I’ve never had the logic for it explained."

There’s no logic to the streetcar right-of-way plan at all, according to some local business association members.

The majority of the 500 businesses that make up the Corso Italia Business Improvement Association (BIA) are opposed to the dedicated streetcar lanes, while some are indifferent and a handful supports the project.

The business community’s main concern is that parking will be reduced along St. Clair. The fear is that reduced parking will only entice customers to shop elsewhere.

A letter on the Corso Italia BIA website states: "We believe that the current TTC proposal for St. Clair is not in the best interest of the merchants, commercial property owners, residents, or the City of Toronto. Main street merchants find it increasingly difficult to survive because of increasing pressure from the big-box stores and malls, lack of access to parking, the fact that the middle class has moved to the suburbs, and high overhead costs (including taxes). Making access to the area more difficult will give shoppers one more reason not to come to St. Clair."

Jeff Gillan, executive director of the Corso Italia BIA, estimated that about 90 percent of business owners are against the project.

He said some businesses have even been threatened with boycott, and are afraid to voice their objection to the plan. Gillan pointed to a website at www.boycott-stclair.blogspot.com that asks people to sign a petition boycotting any local businesses that are against the dedicated streetcar line along St. Clair Ave.

A petition on that website states: "We, the undersigned, support the construction of a dedicated right-of-way for streetcars on St. Clair Ave. (It) will be a benefit to both the street and the City of Toronto. We believe that the efforts of the opposition group, Save our St. Clair, are not reflective of the views of the majority who want to see improved transit on St. Clair Ave. We are therefore supporting a boycott of all businesses on St Clair Ave. opposed to the streetcar right of way."

Should the dedicated streetcar lanes become a reality on St. Clair, Gillan said the lack of parking, not a boycott, will be the area’s main problem.

"People don’t come to buy suits on the TTC," he said. "If you’re going to buy a wedding gown, you are not going to take it on the streetcar."

Which side of tracks are you on?
www.towncrieronline.ca/ma...tsubcatid=

---------------------------------------

Love these local papers..

Granieri was one of 80 people who voted in favour of the project. Thirty-eight people out of 200 said no to the question "Do you agree with the St. Clair streetcar Right-of-Way project?"

About 40 percent of people who live and shop in the area said they would like to see the streetcar project surge ahead as planned. But 37 percent of those polled said the idea should be scrapped.

After doing this survey (38<80) their next article still mentioned that the community was opposed to the St. Clair streetcar project. Guess they didn't get the local results they expected.

You can understand how they expected St. Clair to be full of nimbys as a poll of Towncrier readers on the Fed election showed that 51% of them voted conservative.
www.towncrieronline.ca/ma...lpollid=87

Crap. I'm no longer a person.

Hahahaa.

Yeah, since I spend all my money via the TTC and my bike, and not on car payments, I guess I'm not important. ;)

$2.010 billion for Vaughan Subway Line?

$2.010 billion for Vaughan Subway Line?

Initial reports had the subway extension to Steels Avenue only for a total of $1.5 billion which is suppose to be split evenly three ways.

Much to the surprise of everyone the subway turned into the Vaughan Subway Line to this fantasy “Corporate Centreâ€, which really is a collection of big box stores surrounded by acres of endless parking lots with virtually no residential development. The whole Vaughan Corporate Centre is such a joke that the new Vaughan City Hall is not even being built there.

So naturally the price of this Vaughan subway extension must have increased dramatically beyond $1.5 billion. It appears this subway extension to VCC will add another $510 million to the project.

Based on equal funding from all three levels of government the provincial share is $670 million. It is expected that Ottawa will match that with $670 million bringing us to $1.370 billion. Thus leaving Toronto and York Region to cough up its 1/3 share of $670 to bring us to $2.010 billion.

This project is far from being a done deal. The provincial funding will sit in a special reserve account until Ottawa and the local municipalities agree to their share of the costs.

York Region is on record that it would contribute to the project, the question is how much of the $670 million will it agree to pay? I don’t see York Region agreeing to paying anything more than half of 1/3 which would bring its share to $335 million, the question remains will and how would Toronto find $335 million for its share of the project?

Toronto got a $246.4 million provincial bailout this year to balance its budget. How is Toronto going to find $335 million, even spread out over several years?

If the provincial Liberals are serious about transit, it would have set up a powerful Greater Toronto Transit Authority first, which should be given the task of determining where this $838 million in provincial transit funding should be spent in the GTA?

Instead, from the sounds of it, the yet to be created GTTA won’t be up and running for a least another year and it’s only real assigned task is to implement the GTA Smart Card system. It appears to be a toothless organization with little or no powers.

This Vaughan Subway proposal needs to be derailed quickly and our transit priorities seriously looked at. For $2.010 billion the Scarborough RT could be replaced, a network of new LRT lines built across Toronto and GO Transit lines could have all day, two way train service which would serve the 905 nicely.

Louroz

papera1.gif

FM: I agree. The extension of the Spadina line to Steeles makes sense, barely. I have thought before that there are other priorities, but this project makes sense if Toronto can get serious about intensifying land use along the route so that they are not just relying on York students to make this line work. Even York with its hordes of commuters is not very busy at all for four months of the year.

As for Vaughan, they have shown little inclination to re-orient their planning. Not to sound too snarky, but Vaughan is the home of big-box shopping, large detached houses on large lots, and very little apartment development. The so-called City Centre is a long way from reality. :\

If the Spadina line is to be built (looks like a probability now), why not build it to Steeles Ave. only, until Vaughan and York Region are ready to step up with significant dollars for construction, a genuine agreement to share operating costs, and a commitment to intensified land uses near the line so that it will not be an ongoing money pit.

So if the extension just goes to Steeles, how much will York Region kick in? Theoretically, do we save about $150 million by extending it to a point where York Region will help pay for it? Otherwise, it's $1.5-ish billion divided 3 ways.

If you think the Vaughan Corporate Centre is a joke now, see the website for a hilarious video:

www.city.vaughan.on.ca/ne...centre.cfm

Really, it looks no more impressive than the Airport Corporate Centre, Beaver Creek, etc.

I too would rather see an extension to Mississauga, provided they paid their share.

Back