Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Sept 16
Had my first look inside Holt and it not finish.

There are a number of areas still boarded up and to open fall this year including an eating area.

More up on site
29268619583_a3c6f1af8f_h.jpg

29601048130_7e31d231ab_h.jpg

29811646541_b3cdd5b7a4_h.jpg

29860233126_730298aaf3_h.jpg

29268742943_6884d03115_h.jpg

29267820604_1e9451bddc_h.jpg

29601063340_62b66bb20c_h.jpg

29267829354_f3d2ff6911_h.jpg

I wonder if the move from Sherway to Square will end up having been the correct one. And I say that as a born and bred Mississaugan.

I wonder if the move from Sherway to Square will end up having been the correct one. And I say that as a born and bred Mississaugan.
Frankly, I'm really tired of this belittling of Square One. I don't understand it, other than to submit that its simply a form of veiled racism due to the fact that the clientele is largely non-white. It may come as a surprise to many, but Asians and Middle Easterners have money too and are quite inclined to spending it, evidenced by the fact that productivity at Square One has actually surpassed that of Sherway. By many accounts, Sherway is over-built as a mall relative to its traffic and many of the stores there are struggling to make year-to-date sales numbers. There's no reason why Holt's can thrive in an area of the GTA that has grown exponentially in the last few years, especially with the westerly shift of high-income residents in the last decade or so.

Frankly, I'm really tired of this belittling of Square One. I don't understand it, other than to submit that its simply a form of veiled racism due to the fact that the clientele is largely non-white. It may come as a surprise to many, but Asians and Middle Easterners have money too and are quite inclined to spending it, evidenced by the fact that productivity at Square One has actually surpassed that of Sherway. By many accounts, Sherway is over-built as a mall relative to its traffic and many of the stores there are struggling to make year-to-date sales numbers. There's no reason why Holt's can thrive in an area of the GTA that has grown exponentially in the last few years, especially with the westerly shift of high-income residents in the last decade or so.

Veiled racism? Is it veiled racism to say MCC should get a subway extension too? It's just an opinion.

Square One has a Walmart. I think that's a good indication of the clientele in Mississauga. And all the Walmarts in Mississauga are crazy busy. Actually that's not a Mississauga thing--that's probably a Canada thing.

Anyway, I think Square One is a great mall, but they should be targeting other retailers. They have tons of space after the departure of Target and Empire Theatres. They should have opened Uniqlo before Eaton Centre and Yorkdale. They should have opened a Saks Off Fifth. I saw the pictures--the Holt Renfrew looked empty.

There are wealthy people in Mississauga. But they probably go to Sherway and Yorkdale for luxury shopping.

I live by SQ1 and walk to and through the mall quite regularly. The south expansion is beautiful both inside and out, but it's concerning to see so few people in the luxury wing. If it wasn't for the customers at Starbucks and Jamie Oliver's this area would be a ghost town. I think the mall is in a state of flux not "lux". Hopefully it picks up this holiday season.

Wow, that is quite the jump.

I live near Yorkdale and have in laws across from SQ1 so I am quite familiar with the two malls. Visiting SQ1 makes me appreciate the one floor of yorkdale every time. Anyways from just my experience talking to my wifes family and Mississauga friends they too refer to this section as the "rich" section and have no intention of visiting there despite all living in million+ houses. Sometimes I swing by the mall just to take a walk and from my perspective it does seem far less busy than the rest of the mall. Almost an island to itself. Target was never busy but Walmart is super busy all the time. Now to be fair there are more people on the two northern hallways than it seems on the south where the newest expansion is. But it never feels dead. I walk through there all the time and certain stores are doing good business while places like all saints and a couple others I do not know how they are staying in business. Tesla by the way has the perfect location for their dealership. All that being said I have been married for 8 years and SQ1 has changed considerably to be more upscale. Now days it isn't the stores which make me like Yorkdale better but the layout.

Nov 21
No sure if this be a new thread
Sq One Mall Renovation Phase 102: Target Store Being Gutted For The Rec Room (Cineplex, 40,000 Sq Ft, ?)
38573233542_b1a244fef0_b.jpg

37888514674_005ce2fdc7_b.jpg

38606021831_1b3fb38028_b.jpg

38548882626_aab94cdc7a_b.jpg

38606023551_1f028bf376_b.jpg

Another update from inside the mall where the cover the atrium in front of the former Target store will be redevelopment. Currently they are demotion the former Target store building. Escalator remain open during this phase of construction. Sorry for repost it.
20171209_095700.jpg

Attachments

• 20171209_095700.jpg
    20171209_095700.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 534
Seen that the now they are doing Phase 4 construction of the mall. It might be another mall expansion for retail shopper.
Phase 4????...................how about 102 if you go back to the first one.

They will convert the Target into new mall stores, but going to be a while until they get fill up, considering the number of empty stores there now. Then, what are they going to do with the old movie theater?

That whole end needs to be torn down and become something else. Then the mall should become another Eaton Centre style with development on top of it and all parking underground. You can build a city within a city on Sq One land easy.

Major announcement coming related to an entertainment complex for the old movie theater area.

The current Target store is divided into 2 larger area and food area on the ground floor, 4 areas on the 2nd level.

First place is to open (or get procession) this weekend, with phase 1 opening in Nov. Phase 2 early 2019.

Have a meeting setup to talk about the expansion as well getting up to day layout and renderings.

The Mall wants to reduce parking requirements, but the city is forcing them not to. Very dumb on the city side for this.

Back