Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Nothing can convince me that this station name has a lick of sense. I hate it.

Love the station building itself though.
I drove by it on the way to the Rogers Cup. There is literally nothing within walking distance of this over-designed, over-built monument to Sorbara and his Vaughan developer friends. Meanwhile crowding at Yonge -Bloor is intolerable at peak hours, but we can't find a cent to increase capacity there.

Last edited:
The station design is gorgeous. It will definitely be under used for decades to come. A pretty white elephant. Having two separate bus terminals is dumb. Having zero development next to it is dumb. I'm all for having nicely designed public works projects but money should be spent on where there is desperate demand. Build pretty stations downtown where the crowds justify building such large stations.

This area is industrial and will likely never intensify. Money well wasted. The same thing will happen in Scsrborough. At least there we are building only one airport terminal, here we have 6. :)

Toronto never learns. Look at past mistakes along this line: Wilson station had 3 bus stations and now only 1 is in use. Once this extension opens, Downsview stations bus terminal will be a ghost town and should be demolished and incorporated into a development. It sits on prime land with a good connection to highways. It should have been developed as a complete community. Maybe with the extension north developers will start to build up on this land.

"Tim and Jan Edler's 'LightSpell' (not yet installed), will allow users to spell out messages for others to see."

I can see this getting out of hand pretty quickly. Will said messages be moderated before display? Otherwise, cue said installation being turned off in six months because passengers could not resist writing things that range from mildly to extremely offensive.

Lovely-looking station, although almost completely reliant on commuters, since there is no local residential population to speak of. Can't see it being much used after office hours and on weekends.

Pioneer station will be pretty busy. 3 of the 6 new stations will probably be pretty empty - Vaughan, 407, and downsview park. Pioneer village, York u, and finch west will be well used.

Steeles west is within walking distance of some York U buildings, but it's key feature is the amount of bus connections. Steeles west bus, etc. Plus a huge YRT terminal.

I'm all for investing in interesting station designs..... where the volume of users is highest and where it creates a point of focus for a significant destination or urban space. This location isn't it.

If this station needed a theme song, I'd lean to Neil Young........ Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

- Paul

Toronto never learns. Look at past mistakes along this line: Wilson station had 3 bus stations and now only 1 is in use. Once this extension opens, Downsview stations bus terminal will be a ghost town and should be demolished and incorporated into a development. It sits on prime land with a good connection to highways. It should have been developed as a complete community. Maybe with the extension north developers will start to build up on this land.

I presume the reason Wilson had three bus stations was because it used to be the terminal station on the line, where York Region busses would terminate. Now that the station is no longer the terminus, those two bus stations aren't needed.

I presume the reason Wilson had three bus stations was because it used to be the terminal station on the line, where York Region busses would terminate. Now that the station is no longer the terminus, those two bus stations aren't needed.

Indeed. Something changed. It's a part of life. We moved on to something bigger. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Not just that, but Wilson station also has washrooms; being a former terminal station helps keep the washrooms cleaner and more available.

All along Steeles is zoned Mixed-Used on the University-owned land, and they plan to develop it in the long term.

Nothing can convince me that this station name has a lick of sense. I hate it.

Love the station building itself though.

Bingo. Love the station, still dislike the name. "Pioneer Village Station" sounds like a monorail stop at Disney World and not a subway station.

Bingo. Love the station, still dislike the name. "Pioneer Village Station" sounds like a monorail stop at Disney World and not a subway station.

Meh, better than "Steeles West" (yawn).

As for the stations themselves, I agree they're over-designed. But considering how utilitarian the vast majority of our stations are, it's nice to have some that have some design to them.

Meh, better than "Steeles West" (yawn).

As for the stations themselves, I agree they're over-designed. But considering how utilitarian the vast majority of our stations are, it's nice to have some that have some design to them.

Steeles West tells you where the station is though as it's on Steels West. Pioneer Village is not that close to it. Also I'm not relly a fan of the rusted metal look on the station.

Indeed. Something changed. It's a part of life. We moved on to something bigger. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with change but the 3 terminals were never used. Only two were used and now one is used. York Region never had buses going to Wilson, it's quite far from York Region. Yes it was a terminal but it's much better to have terminals be hubs of development and not surrounded by parking lots or huge bus terminals. Somehow other cities do well without so many large bus terminals. Given the costs to build these stations more money should have been used to incentivize businesses and developers to build office/residential neighbourhoods near stations. They are doing it at VMC but not much at the other 4 stations. York U will be used well as its in the middle of a dense large campus.

Back