Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Pulled from Vaughan's Steeles West Urban Design and Streetscape Plan:

Y13xkIt.png

4F0X2Xn.jpg

fFZc6ff.jpg

And a link to the Steeles West Secondary Plan: PDF

Given the relatively significant amount of planning work that's been done and the resulting vision for the area I wouldn't write off the station's usefulness just yet.

Why don't they move the village so it's closer to the station entrance? Wouldn't be that expensive considering they sunk a quarter of billion dollars into a station that ostensibly serves an attraction worth a fraction that cost.
all the land closer to the station belongs to (and is in some way used by) York University.....not sure that moving the village is at all feesible.

all the land closer to the station belongs to (and is in some way used by) York University.....not sure that moving the village is at all feesible.

I assumed /hoped that was a joke? The village is owned by TRCA anyway. It's not going anywhere. Ever. Possibly they could landscape a nice path with interpretive signs about the Stong family or something to connect with the station and bring you into that atmosphere.

(the station will also provide access for the Rogers Cup when that's on)

Really, my point is might not be the best name but it's just a name.

As for that Vaughan plan, they're facing restrictions due to land ownership (eg UPS) and geography (ie the TRCA lands and hydro corridor) but at least they're trying to do what they can there. And York has plans to intensify a lot, filling in the parking lots along Steeles. Time will tell.

Must not forget that Steeles Avenue is in the middle of suburban sprawl. By sprawl, we mean usually asphalt or private landscaping where we are forbidden to walk on.

View attachment 84195
"Pioneer Village" itself is actually at the southwest corner of Steeles Avenue West and Murray Ross Parkway.

Pulled from Vaughan's Steeles West Urban Design and Streetscape Plan:

Y13xkIt.png

4F0X2Xn.jpg

fFZc6ff.jpg

And a link to the Steeles West Secondary Plan: PDF

Given the relatively significant amount of planning work that's been done and the resulting vision for the area I wouldn't write off the station's usefulness just yet.

Furthermore, you have a) the actual Pioneer Village historical site itself, b) the Black Creek and its associated ravine, and c) the northwest corner of York University, a post-secondary institution with various uses. That puts strict limits on developability on the south side of Steeles. Beyond that, you have parcels along Jane marked for commercial/residential and apartment residential.

Tx6IbWE.png

But aside from that, it has been identified by Metrolinx as a Gateway Hub, since it is on the Toronto/Vaughan border, and will be an interchange between Line 1, future BRT on Steeles and other local bus service in both cities.

It also means Metrolinx believes it is "generally forecasted to achieve or have the potential to achieve a minimum density target of approximately 10,000 people and jobs combined within 800 metres." Population and household growth has already been pretty significant between 2009 and 2014, at 33% and 26%, respectively.

bizZm3I.png

It's half a mile. 10 minutes, more with tots.
It's 400 metres from the western entrance to Pioneer Village station to the corner of the Pioneer Village at Murray Ross and Steeles.

It's then another 400 metres (5 more minutes) from there, to the current entrance. There's nothing to say they can't create a second entrance in the future.

alos don't forget the entrance to pioneer village isn't on Steeles West it's off of a side street then you would have to walk through the parking lot to get to it. It's not like taking the bis to the Zoo where the TTC loop is right at the main entrance.
No parking lot to walk through, if you use the station exit furthest west - https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.7...9.515646,429m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

You don't need to move the village, you just install another entrance at the southwest corner of Murray Ross and Steeles.

I wonder it Pioneer Village was chosen over Steeles West because the TTC because thinks some riders might think there's also a Steeles Station on the Yonge line?

The new naming convention for GTA transit stops says that a "major landmark nearby" takes priority over street/neighbourhood names. So "Pioneer Village" was used instead of Steeles for the same reason that we're using "Science Centre" instead of Flemingdon Park and "Aga Khan Park and Museum" instead of Ferrand.

The new naming convention for GTA transit stops says that a "major landmark nearby" takes priority over street/neighbourhood names. So "Pioneer Village" was used instead of Steeles for the same reason that we're using "Science Centre" instead of Flemingdon Park and "Aga Khan Park and Museum" instead of Ferrand.

To be clear - Metrolinx named the Crosstown stations and TTC named the subway stations.
So is that Metrolinx's policy or TTC's? The latter, I suspect, though maybe it trickles down. Either way , the subway stations were done ad hoc, not under this new landmark policy.

I like the fact that they are using neighbourhoods and local landmarks for names, instead of just streets. It gives much more character to the stations/names. They can print the street's name below the station's name, for those who don't know the city.

Maybe they should rename "St. Andrew" station after the Royal Alex or Roy Thompson Hall?

Maybe they should rename "St. Patrick" station after the Art Gallery of Ontario? It's closer to the station than the Pioneer Village Station is to it's name sake.

Last edited:

Back