Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Ever see a naturalized creek running through a city core? Garrison Creek was buried for a reason. I know you can't just bury creeks nowadays, but still.

Last edited:
I dunno. Chicago has a whole fricking river running through its core. So does Paris. So does London. Pretty well-regarded cities.

None of those rivers are "naturalized," sure, but then we're naturalizing the mouth of the Don and the Toronto Islands are pretty close to the core.
Central Park has a reservoir and a pond and a forest and a lake where you can rent a boat...

I'm not really clear what makes a naturalized creek out of place or why, 100 years later, we act like burying watercourses in tunnels, or eliminating them entirely, was a good thing? I actually thought it's kind of the opposite and that's why the city's ravines, which run awful close to the core in parts, are being added to the Greenbelt and, more generally, celebrated.

No one's talking about creating a patch of wilderness but there is nothing inconsistent with natural (or naturalized) greenspace in an urban core. The notion that Vaughan should bury (i.e. hide) the creek rather than restore it, in an area already lacking natural greenspaces strikes me as very retrograde thinking.

Last edited:
The Castle Frank Brook runs through the Nordheimer Ravine, where the current Line 1 Spadina Subway also runs through. See link.

NordhiemerReach.gif

The Castle Frank Brook runs through the Nordheimer Ravine, where the current Line 1 Spadina Subway also runs through. See link.

That's one of the most interesting buried rivers in the city. It's been put in this absolutely massive tunnel and taken out of its original river course to instead connect with Yellow Creek east of Mt Pleasant. Along the way it has a series of high waterfalls, chambers, and catwalks as it comes down the escarpment. A must-see for the intrepid urban explorer. http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/spadina-storm-trunk-sewer

I dunno. Chicago has a whole fricking river running through its core. So does Paris. So does London. Pretty well-regarded cities.

A false comparison extraordinaire! I'd hardly compare Black Creek with the Thames passing through London. It's hardly a ditch running along a central London street which is what the Black Creek running along Jane St basically is and will probably always will be. And Toronto's ravines are isolated from the urban fabric, not interwoven directly into it.

As I said, they can't just bury creeks anymore, but it will hardly look urban in the classic urban waterway sense.

Last edited:
According to a preliminary report via Steve Munro, see link:

Effective in September, the St. Clair West short turn operation on 1 Yonge-University-Spadina will be extended north to Glencairn during the AM peak. Schedules will be adjusted to reflect actual operating conditions, but headways will remain at the winter level of 2’21”. The total trains in service will rise from 50 to 54. (Service on this line was not cut for summer 2016.)

Um, is this thread specific to the Pioneer Village station, or the broader TYSSE? I don't remember subscribing to the former.

The TYSSE is being renamed the "Pioneer Village Subway Extension", as it is the most important destination serviced by this otherwise useless subway extension :p

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaIMG_6224.JPG
    aaaaaaaaaaaIMG_6224.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 963
  • eeeeeeeIMG_6238.JPG
    eeeeeeeIMG_6238.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_6221.JPG
    IMG_6221.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_6230.JPG
    IMG_6230.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 925
  • IMG_6231.JPG
    IMG_6231.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_6287.JPG
    IMG_6287.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_6295.JPG
    IMG_6295.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_6301.JPG
    IMG_6301.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 896
  • IMG_6303.JPG
    IMG_6303.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_6313.JPG
    IMG_6313.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 934
  • IMG_6315.JPG
    IMG_6315.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_6360.JPG
    IMG_6360.JPG
    484.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_6363.JPG
    IMG_6363.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 1,012
Nothing can convince me that this station name has a lick of sense. I hate it.

Love the station building itself though.

Love the large and interesting station designs. Sour grapes to the "could have been cheaper / smaller crowd". How petty. I hate shitty and boring public works. There are people who will pass through these stations (very soon) and the station will be the most interesting thing they see that day. Public works should be uplifting. A little vision never hurt. Do I believe that this six station segment will be underused and that it's overbuilt? Not for a second.

Back