Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Last night I was at Old Mill around 12:08 AM. The train usually is just getting there but it said N/A on the screen. After a few minutes it jumped to 7 minutes. I grabbed the train after waiting 13 minutes.

Is this a common thing now? I frequently take the subway late night, and I can recall this happening to me only once over the past several years.

My understanding is that they are up against a wall in terms of train availability. They had a ton of spares in preparation for the TYSSE opening but now their spare ratio is dwindling due to the number of trains needed to operate the extension.

The TTC doesn't own enough trains to provide full service on Line 1. Frequencies aren't as high as ATO allows because of the TTCs limited train fleet.

This probably won't be remedied until the next train fleet is delivered in the mid 2020s.

The TTC doesn't own enough trains to provide full service on Line 1. Frequencies aren't as high as ATO allows because of the TTCs limited train fleet.

This probably won't be remedied until the next train fleet is delivered in the mid 2020s.

What? The TTC definitely has enough TR trainsets for the TYSSE and ATO. They actually have a modest surplus of them - this is why they had extras to spare for the Sheppard Subway.

The plan was always to have reduced service during rush hours on the extension.

What? The TTC definitely has enough TR trainsets for the TYSSE and ATO. They actually have a modest surplus of them - this is why they had extras to spare for the Sheppard Subway.

The plan was always to have reduced service during rush hours on the extension.

I'm not sure what his primary source was, but Steve Munro asserts that the TTC doesn't have enough TR trainsets to saturate ATO on Line 1:

A related problem is planning for the fleet and carhouse. Although the TTC plans to add some trains to the YUS once ATC is available, they do not have enough spare equipment to add 28% to the number of trains in service. The actual bump required will probably be a bit less because of ATC efficiencies, but there simply are not enough trains in the Line 1 fleet to operate a 1’50” headway. There is no provision in the future budget for acquiring either the vehicles or the carhouse space to handle the increase, and this would likely have to be bundled with any YSE project (which would need additional trains of its own). There is already provision in the YSE design for an underground storage yard at Richmond Hill.
https://stevemunro.ca/2017/05/10/inching-ahead-on-subway-plans/comment-page-1/

Is this a common thing now? I frequently take the subway late night, and I can recall this happening to me only once over the past several years.

This happens quite often at Old Mill heading Eastbound. I think it may have something to do with the proximity to Kipling whereas stations like Donlands, Landsdowne etc are far enough away from the terminals not to be affected.

From the SERVICE SUMMARY dated November 26, 2017 to January 6, 2018, from this link.

In the morning rush, 35 trains will operate from Finch Stn. to Vaughan Metro. Centre Stn. (every 4 ' 42 ''), 26 trains will operate from Finch Stn. to Glencairn Stn. (every 4 ' 42 ''), for a total of 61 trains (every 2 ' 21 ").

In the midday, 42 trains will operate from Finch Stn. to Vaughan Metro. Centre Stn. (every 3 ' 49 '').

In the afternoon rush, 63 trains will operate from Finch Stn. to Vaughan Metro. Centre Stn. (every 2 ' 36 '').

In the early evening, 46 trains will operate (every 3 ' 30 '').

In the late evening, 32 trains will operate (every 5 ' 00 ').
So short-turning trains in the morning at Glencairn Stn. saves the use of 2 trains. Boy, the bean-counters are busy rubbing the pennies with that. (rolling eyes :confused:)

It saves two trains, but also adds 2.5 trains per hour. That's an extra 8,500 people worth of train capacity in the morning rush. It's definitely needed, since there are a bit more people using transit during the morning rush than the afternoon rush (the balance would go home early or late)

I'm not sure what his primary source was, but Steve Munro asserts that the TTC doesn't have enough TR trainsets to saturate ATO on Line 1:

A related problem is planning for the fleet and carhouse. Although the TTC plans to add some trains to the YUS once ATC is available, they do not have enough spare equipment to add 28% to the number of trains in service. The actual bump required will probably be a bit less because of ATC efficiencies, but there simply are not enough trains in the Line 1 fleet to operate a 1’50” headway. There is no provision in the future budget for acquiring either the vehicles or the carhouse space to handle the increase, and this would likely have to be bundled with any YSE project (which would need additional trains of its own). There is already provision in the YSE design for an underground storage yard at Richmond Hill.
I was taken aback when I first read that, but Munro has stated that in the context of a number of his articles. Good digging, btw. I've gone looking for that reference and couldn't find it in the past.

TTC hosts Finch West Station open house Saturday afternoon

December 14, 2017

This Sat., Dec. 16, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., the TTC will host an open house at Finch West Station, one of six new stations on the Line 1 Extension to York Region.

Community members and customers will have access to the station to take a self-guided tour, discover unique facts, and learn how the station was built and how it will operate. Visitors can talk to members of the project and construction teams as well as subway systems staff.

Finch West Station is located at 3950 Keele St. at Finch Avenue West (main entrance on the west side of Keele Street).

Limited free parking will be available in the commuter parking lot accessible from 200 Tangiers Rd.

TTC bus services travelling directly to Finch West Station include: 36 Finch, 41 Keele and 107 Keele North. Regular fares will apply to bus rides.

Elevator and escalator service will be available at the station. However, buses will not be using the TTC Bus Terminal so visitors requiring accessible elevator service should enter the station at the west entrance located on the northwest corner of Keele Street and Finch Avenue.

The Line 1 Extension, which opens for regular service Sunday, Dec. 17, at 8 a.m., is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York.

They don't have enough to utilize the full capacity of the ATC/ATO, that is true.

But they have more than enough equipment to operate full service on the extension at all times, and to have a modest increase in service over what is currently possible.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Saw the dots illuminated today!

36D912E1-D5EB-4BBE-9D75-50818DF2A00A.jpeg

Attachments

• 36D912E1-D5EB-4BBE-9D75-50818DF2A00A.jpeg
    36D912E1-D5EB-4BBE-9D75-50818DF2A00A.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 264
An interesting background on how the Spadina Subway Extension came to be. Essentially the project came to be through gentlemen agreements, handshakes and the drawing of lines on a map:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/toronto-subway-extension/article37324030/

Some notable quotes:

An extension to the Spadina subway began, as do many transit projects in Toronto, with an ambitious politician drawing a line on a map. Years later, its future was secured in a bit of private political horse-trading between Ottawa and Queen's Park.

The story begins in 1986. In his memoir, provincial politician Greg Sorbara describes being a rookie, button-holing the man sitting beside him on the Liberal government benches, a man who happened to be the transportation minister. He advanced his idea that there should be a subway connection to York University, extending the current Spadina line. The idea became part of the party's election platform. Then the Liberals lost the next two elections.

Mr. Sorbara, who represented a Vaughan riding and was finance minister both prior to and after the announcement, but had stepped down temporarily because of an RCMP investigation, said later he had no idea the project would be included. The TTC was also surprised, having long before concluded that extending the line north of Steeles Avenue was unjustified by current or projected population densities.

Once back in the finance portfolio, Mr. Sorbara was pushing not just the city. He describes in his memoir how he badgered his federal counterpart, the late Jim Flaherty, to have Ottawa pick up part of the bill. As he tells it, the two men struck a deal in a private room in Vancouver: Ottawa would fund part of the subway while, in return, the province would extend Highway 407 east into Mr. Flaherty's riding of Whitby-Oshawa.

"We shook hands," Mr. Sorbara wrote. "We had a meeting of the minds."

Maurizio Bevilacqua, who lobbied for the line when he was a Liberal MP and has been mayor of Vaughan since 2010, dismisses the notion that Toronto has built another subway to nowhere. Instead, he argues, the new transit line has come before development, allowing subway-friendly densities to be created from next-to-nothing on top.

But years ago, Mr. Bevilacqua was worried about the optics. He told Mitchell Goldhar – the area's biggest land owner and the billionaire behind big-box developer SmartCentres who first brought Wal-Mart to Canada – that he must have something built before the line was ready.

Mr. Goldhar describes his pact with the mayor as a "gentlemen's agreement." His 15-storey tower housing employees of the accounting firm KPMG, as well as other tenants, opened last year. Work is under way on a PriceWaterhouseCoopers building next door, which will also feature a library and a YMCA recreation centre. Three planned condo towers – standing 55 storeys – are sold out.

I thought the TTC's official position was that no more mixed traffic streetcar lines would be built. I personally would love to see more, so I hope their position has changed on that front.
It's a preference, I don't think there's ever been anything official.

It didn't stop them from operating in mixed traffic on Leslie, or starting a regular service on Dufferin for the first time. Or building the new Dufferin underpass just north of Queen, with the foundations for streetcar track.

I expect King-like solutions will become more common, given the overwhelming success of that route.

I feel like they should at least put "Steeles" in brackets or something at Pioneer Village.

Maybe, but I just realized a few days ago that it's like a mini-journey through time. You start at "Pioneer Village" station, with dirt trails and stuff. Subways weren't even invented yet. Then you journey towards "Highway" 407 Station, echoing the rise of the automobile in the 1950's with growing suburbs, replacement of streetcars by buses, and the U.S. Interstate System. Finally, you arrive at Vaughan "Metropolitan" Centre, the name which suggests the heart of a futuristic megalopolis, and where the empty fields symbolize potential for the future.

OTTAWA, Dec. 14, 2017 /CNW/ - Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Friday, December 15, 2017:

Vaughan, Ontario

9:45 a.m.

The Prime Minister will participate in a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station.

Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station
3150 Hwy 7 W

Notes for media:

• Photo opportunity
  • Media should arrive no later than 9 a.m.
  • A TTC return shuttle will be provided between Vaughan Station and York University Station for media looking to cover the event
  • Warm clothing is recommended

9:55 a.m.

The Prime Minister will ride the TTC subway from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station to York University Station.

Note for media:

• Pooled photo opportunity

10:10 a.m.

The Prime Minister will deliver remarks inside York University Station. A media availability will follow.

York University Station
120 Ian MacDonald Blvd

Notes for media:
  • Open coverage
  • Media should arrive no later than 9:30 a.m.
  • A TTC return shuttle will be provided between Vaughan Station and York University Station for media looking to cover the event
  • Warm clothing is recommended

Back