Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Since the Yonge North Subway Extension EA/preliminary design had Crosstown like station entrances (large-ish entrances), would you suppose that the next detailed designs and renderings may include stations of the scale of the TYSSE, or will they remain about the same?

Other than SSE, our next stations on DRL will mostly be in dense areas, so they will have little surface land area (they've talked about mined stations) so we probably won't be seeing anything grand. Only ones might be Gerrard (replacing a strip mall) or West Harbour (incorporated into First Gulf's redevelopment).

First Gulf has apparently offered to finance some "sprucing up" of the GO station, though I don't think that is the case for the DRL as well.

Modern fire codes mean that subway stations have to be considerably larger than the original stations along the older parts of the system. Sheppard's stations are what should be treated as a modern "bare bones" station type, and even those are quite grand.

First Gulf has apparently offered to finance some "sprucing up" of the GO station, though I don't think that is the case for the DRL as well.

Modern fire codes mean that subway stations have to be considerably larger than the original stations along the older parts of the system. Sheppard's stations are what should be treated as a modern "bare bones" station type, and even those are quite grand.
Those 10 metre high hallways on Sheppard are quite “grand”.

Correlation does not imply causation -- the perceived pattern is likely because new stations are mainly only being built in the suburbs with lower ridership *combined* with the more of a recent focus on fancier stations in GTHA unlike in the past.

Well in terms of architecture, for one I'm not seeing a whole lot of fancy in any of the new Eglinton Crosstown stations. Don't even get me started on the surface stops, which won't even get basic weather protection if I'm not mistaken. Contrast that with the level of design that was built for Viva along Hwy 7, or the Mississauga transitway stops.

Don't even get me started on the surface stops, which won't even get basic weather protection if I'm not mistaken. Contrast that with the level of design that was built for Viva along Hwy 7, or the Mississauga transitway stops.

You're right, and it makes no sense to me. Viva Rapidways are amazing in this regard. Their stations aren't spacious like the ones on the Transitway (which makes sense, because it's in the middle of the road) but every platform has an enclosed waiting area with heaters, and the whole platform is protected from rain except when it's really pouring with wind.

I don't think that would work unless there was some fare incentive. It's a 10-15 minute bus ride on the 407 versus a 20-25 minute ride down Yonge, but the longer subway ride completely offsets that - 35 minutes from Finch to Union versus 45 minutes from the 407. And a lot of people who take Viva aren't going downtown - after all, if you're going downtown you'd take the Go Train that's faster and more comfortable for the same price. They're often going somewhere like Yonge & Eglinton, Yonge & St Clair or Yonge & Bloor where the time difference from the 407 station is even longer.

What if they're going to, say, Bloor/Dufferin?

What if they're going to, say, Bloor/Dufferin?

Hardly anyone is commuting by YRT and TTC from York Region to Bloor/Dufferin. There's no point having an express bus for them. We might as well offer nonstop express buses for everyone who lives in The Junction and works at Yonge & Lawrence.

Can we put these wacky ideas to bed now?

Hardly anyone is commuting by YRT and TTC from York Region to Bloor/Dufferin. There's no point having an express bus for them. We might as well offer nonstop express buses for everyone who lives in The Junction and works at Yonge & Lawrence.

Can we put these wacky ideas to bed now?

You don't need an express bus. Just offer a discount on GO Route 40 (and 51, 52, 54 if/when they start serving Highway 407 Station), and space them so they come every 10-15 minutes during rush hour. Plus free/discount parking at Highway 407 and Pioneer Village (in fact, they're actually offering free parking there till April, and I bet they're studying the ridership patterns). The Steeles stuff I mentioned earlier is for when you're really seeking relief: I don't actually think we're at that point.

I have an even-wackier proposal for crowding on Yonge, and it doesn't require screwing up people's commutes and cooperation between three transit agencies: How about a subway along Don Mills?

I have an even-wackier proposal for crowding on Yonge, and it doesn't require screwing up people's commutes and cooperation between three transit agencies: How about a subway along Don Mills?

That takes at least 10 years (and lots of $$$) to build. We need something in the meantime. Plus the commutes of many people in York Region are already being screwed by things like the upcoming changes to Viva. In fact, if you're a YRT user, you'd better get used to being screwed, cause "our large service area (1,776 square kilometres!) poses operational challenges".

Ok, well the cost will be $10 billion so Toronto will have to look at funding and support from Metrolinx and the Federal gov...

aww crap there we are at 3 transit agencies again.

Del Duca has "opened" several transit lines in his tenure. But yes, I'm sure he is giddy for this. I remember reading that he would likely use the line for his daily commuting to and from Vaughan.
Let's hope he does so he can know how it feels to get delayed numerous times on a daily basis on the subway. Who knows maybe by him missing one of his photo-ops, it will spur him to take serious action on transit and not keep having his little fantasies on Hydrogen Rail and Kirby GO stations.

I thought the turn back was gonna be moved up by a few stations?

My understanding is that they forewent that and decided to stick it at Glencairn instead. Personally I think it makes sense as Sheppard West is too far north to help relieve overcrowding in a timely fashion. I still think they need to have Glencairn and Davisville turnbacks work in tandem.

When I was in London most of the trains did not run to the ends of the line and turned back at both ends.

Back