Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I'm more surprised by the (seeming) lack of festivities. I was expecting cupcakes, performances by local youth groups, and TTC/YRT tables with those paper fold-up buses.
Being done on Sat for the Finch Open House and already done for the other stations.

Being done on Sat for the Finch Open House and already done for the other stations.

I don't think there were performances. Plus it wasn't opening day. It's actually a great (missed) opportunity for youth groups, seeing as the line passes through/near some priority neighbourhoods.

Is Minister (of Photo Ops) Del Duca okay?!?
Oh he's definitely well aware, he's been doing the countdown in his sleep:

upload_2017-12-12_20-53-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_20-53-11.png
    upload_2017-12-12_20-53-11.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 400
Oh he's definitely well aware, he's been doing the countdown in his sleep:

View attachment 130111

Del Duca must feel like a boy on Christmas Eve. He actually gets to open something for once, rather than the usual re-announcement of his government's commitment to some minor bus shelter enhancement for the 17th time!

I was hoping for free rides for the first week or two like the Sheppard line had when it opened.

Del Duca has "opened" several transit lines in his tenure. But yes, I'm sure he is giddy for this. I remember reading that he would likely use the line for his daily commuting to and from Vaughan.

I was hoping for free rides for the first week or two like the Sheppard line had when it opened.

Del Duca has "opened" several transit lines in his tenure. But yes, I'm sure he is giddy for this. I remember reading that he would likely use the line for his daily commuting to and from Vaughan.

That's fine for getting down to Queen's Park but how would he get out to the 4 announcements he has to make each day?

BTW, I found the "full run time of 79 minutes" factoid in the press release interesting. Don't know if I've seen that figure before.

And free parking until April? Sweet.

In the “opening” of the VMC Vivastation, he mentioned that his commute was only 8 minutes. This would suppose that he lives near VMC and he would probably drive and park or take transit, which is good for the Minister of Transport(announcemen)tation.

I am glad to see a Minister of Transportation take public transit, that’s awesome. Remember Al Palladini? Mike Harris made him Minister of Transportation because he owned a car dealership.

I do think it could work at the 407 with an express bus, as above. Instead of taking people from RHC on Viva down to Finch, you can have a shuttle bus that gets them to the 407 station very quickly. Depending on final destination points (ie they'd have be going somewhere central/west downtown for it to be valuable), that could work.

I don't think that would work unless there was some fare incentive. It's a 10-15 minute bus ride on the 407 versus a 20-25 minute ride down Yonge, but the longer subway ride completely offsets that - 35 minutes from Finch to Union versus 45 minutes from the 407. And a lot of people who take Viva aren't going downtown - after all, if you're going downtown you'd take the GO Train that's faster and more comfortable for the same price. They're often going somewhere like Yonge & Eglinton, Yonge & St Clair or Yonge & Bloor where the time difference from the 407 station is even longer.

Yeah, none of these scenarios make much sense if you're going along the Yonge corridor or to Union. Possibly if you're going somewhere on the west side but....yeah, shunting people from Yonge is never really going to make sense, though it's nice to have the option where there's a closure etc.

I don't think that would work unless there was some fare incentive. It's a 10-15 minute bus ride on the 407 versus a 20-25 minute ride down Yonge, but the longer subway ride completely offsets that - 35 minutes from Finch to Union versus 45 minutes from the 407. And a lot of people who take Viva aren't going downtown - after all, if you're going downtown you'd take the GO Train that's faster and more comfortable for the same price. They're often going somewhere like Yonge & Eglinton, Yonge & St Clair or Yonge & Bloor where the time difference from the 407 station is even longer.
Even more of an incentive for a Concord GO station at Highway 7/Highway 407, the question of how buses can get off the highway efficiently still remains without the 407 Transitway (maybe a dedicated 407 westbound bus off ramp?).

There’s a remarkable negative correlation between the spaciousness and general magnificence of our subway stations and the number of people who use (or will use) them.
Correlation does not imply causation -- the perceived pattern is likely because new stations are mainly only being built in the suburbs with lower ridership *combined* with the more of a recent focus on fancier stations in GTHA unlike in the past. Inevitably, new transit extensions tends to almost only occur in the outer reaches in the last couple decades, and those happenstance (two converging factors): location of new stations.

I do expect when DRL is built, they will use better architecture than all the other downtown stations. (Though, one outlier is TTC's Museum station which has the artsy kitsch to its namesake)

That said, even with stagnant downtown subway architecture (except Union revitalized statation), the magnificence of our streetcars are improving. The streetcars are looking better and better, the Spadina is almost "LRT spec" now (only minor refinements to reach that status: Better traffic priority + rampless wheel-on level boarding + slight speedup to rapid transit specification, helped by faster acceleration, especially in the uphill direction, enabled by increased current-draw of pantographs)

Correlation does not imply causation -- the perceived pattern is likely because new stations are mainly only being built in the suburbs with lower ridership *combined* with the more of a recent focus on fancier stations in GTHA unlike in the past. Inevitably, new transit extensions tends to almost only occur in the outer reaches in the last couple decades, and those happenstance (two converging factors): location of new stations.

I do expect when DRL is built, they will use better architecture than all the other downtown stations. (Though, one outlier is TTC's Museum station which has the artsy kitsch to its namesake)

That said, even with stagnant downtown subway architecture (except Union revitalized statation), the magnificence of our streetcars are improving. The streetcars are looking better and better, the Spadina is almost "LRT spec" now (only minor refinements to reach that status: Better traffic priority + rampless wheel-on level boarding + slight speedup to rapid transit specification, helped by faster acceleration, especially in the uphill direction, enabled by increased current-draw of pantographs)
Since the Yonge North Subway Extension EA/preliminary design had Crosstown like station entrances (large-ish entrances), would you suppose that the next detailed designs and renderings may include stations of the scale of the TYSSE, or will they remain about the same?

Back