Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I went by the VCC station on the weekend. It looks like there are 3 buildings. One on the BRT, one beside the road, and it looked like one was further north. Why so many? I know why the BRT one, but shouldn't there only be 2?

I went by the VCC station on the weekend. It looks like there are 3 buildings. One on the BRT, one beside the road, and it looked like one was further north. Why so many? I know why the BRT one, but shouldn't there only be 2?
I believe the extra ones are hiding mechanical stuff

When was that? TTC hasn't done a passenger count on 65 since 2012, but in the same time the 75 Sherbourne has grown from 5,200 passengers to 10,005 passengers - driven by George Brown growth. Meanwhile on the Parliament corridor we've got the Regent Park rebuild (which is surely driving up som of the 505 ridership), and potentially if they extend 65 to Queens Quay, a lot of development there.

Combined Sherbourne/Parliament ridership along that corrridor could well be approaching 20,000 soon, if it's not there already. The Bathurst streetcar is about the same length, and it's only 21,000.
Based on the various EA's for Transit on the Waterfront, within the next 20 years or so, you will see streetcars back on Parliament from QQE to Castle Frank. Can't look at it until QQE not only gets built, but built over to the New Cherry St. QQE line will have a temporarily loop around Parliament area. You have the same issue with Parliament underpass as you have with Cherry now, but its worses of the 2.

The middle building at VCC is the substation

Until they can build the YN subway, they should route the Steeles East Bus into Pioneer Village, or at least half of the buses. Finch is a clusterduck.

This is an incredibly stupid idea. Most people on the Steeles bus are going south, not west.

The YN subway plan has mid road bus ramps down into an underground bus terminal, if it counts for anything.

It doesn't need to be underground at Pioneer Village since it's not at an intersection. Just needs to be in the middle of the road. It would've easily a minute or two off for transferring passengers (since there's no left or right turn into the terminal) and 5 minutes for through passengers (since they don't have the lull at the terminal)

There is the BRT station in the middle of the road, there is the main station building/pedestrian entrance directly north of it, then farther north there is the local YRT bus terminal.

This is an incredibly stupid idea. Most people on the Steeles bus are going south, not west.

Whether this is a stupid idea or not depends on how badly they want to provide relief to the Yonge line. If people are forced to transfer at Yonge/Steeles to go to Finch, most would rather just stay on the bus and go to Pioneer Village instead. Yes, there would be grumbles, there would be complaints, but it could end up as a net benefit.

Based on the various EA's for Transit on the Waterfront, within the next 20 years or so, you will see streetcars back on Parliament from QQE to Castle Frank. Can't look at it until QQE not only gets built, but built over to the New Cherry St. QQE line will have a temporarily loop around Parliament area. You have the same issue with Parliament underpass as you have with Cherry now, but its worses of the 2.

I thought the TTC's official position was that no more mixed traffic streetcar lines would be built. I personally would love to see more, so I hope their position has changed on that front.

Whether this is a stupid idea or not depends on how badly they want to provide relief to the Yonge line. If people are forced to transfer at Yonge/Steeles to go to Finch, most would rather just stay on the bus and go to Pioneer Village instead. Yes, there would be grumbles, there would be complaints, but it could end up as a net benefit.

Any "relief" option that adds half an hour to people's trips is extremely stupid.

Any "relief" option that adds half an hour to people's trips is extremely stupid.

Well of course a RHC-Highway 407 Express bus/GO bus discount is a much better idea in terms of providing relief. Or free/discount parking at Highway 407 (and perhaps Pioneer Village) station. But if you want extra relief...

No. Sending buses 8 kilometers in the wrong direction isn't "relief".

In fact it would probably be faster to walk from Steeles to Finch on Yonge than to go all the way to Pioneer Village and then head downtown.

I thought the TTC's official position was that no more mixed traffic streetcar lines would be built. I personally would love to see more, so I hope their position has changed on that front.

I think Parliament could function with only 1 lane in each direction for general traffic. Yes, people would moan and groan, but when you consider how much street parking there is now, it's pretty much a two-lane road anyway. Parliament could potentially be a good test case for putting dedicated streetcar lanes in the curb lane, and having the middle two lanes be general traffic lanes.

In fact it would probably be faster to walk from Steeles to Finch on Yonge than to go all the way to Pioneer Village and then head downtown.

It very most likely would be. I wonder what the timing were to be like if every 2nd bus went to Finch and the other operated express to Pioneer Village.

Back