Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Because the Crosstown is replacing existing TTC service and will run on TTC fares.
Yes but that doesn't mean they have to take buse off of other routes to provide shuttles for them, all I saying is that's the TTC's argument for why they wanted to be the ones to operate it and it's been in the contract since work began. I don't see it changing anytime for any of the LRT routes inside of the city of Toronto.

Why are exit signs in a public building opening in 2017 in the red EXIT style and not the green fleeing man style?
I think TTC is distinguishing between a regular exit (which is also an emergency exit) and an emergency exit (may not be a regular exit in some cases). They could've used "a box with an arrow" like some transit systems around the world I suppose.

I think TTC is distinguishing between a regular exit (which is also an emergency exit) and an emergency exit (may not be a regular exit in some cases). They could've used "a box with an arrow" like some transit systems around the world I suppose.
Also I think those signs only light up when there is a problem, they are still on testing mode right now.

Why are exit signs in a public building opening in 2017 in the red EXIT style and not the green fleeing man style?
You're absolutely right. Technically, those signs will not allow the building to pass a fire dept inspection in Ontario. I don't even think that now in 2017 the TTC could plead that the project was under construction before the new code came into effect, as some building contractors have done. The unofficial grace period is certainly over, and what's worse, the TTC has made those into custom signs. Emergency exit or not, they are not up to code and the TTC could have to replace all of the signs already.

Yes but that doesn't mean they have to take buse off of other routes to provide shuttles for them, all I saying is that's the TTC's argument for why they wanted to be the ones to operate it and it's been in the contract since work began. I don't see it changing anytime for any of the LRT routes inside of the city of Toronto.

All I'm saying is that (A) TTC management says a lot of stuff, and (B) TTC management does a lot of wacky stuff. They definitely could refuse to provide shuttle buses for Eglinton, but at the end of the day it's a subway/surface LRT on the TTC system map, with TTC fares and TTC logos all over the cars. It'll look bad on the entire system if they say "sorry, sucks to be you" when the Eglinton LRT unexpectedly stops running.

Saw this on Doors Open. This is the first time I'm hearing about what the travel time will be like.

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.26.07 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.26.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.26.07 PM.png
    428.5 KB · Views: 279
Well, I haven't posted here in a few months, but let me try to catch up on what's been happening regarding the fare issue.

At this point, there is no concrete solution on the "York University Problem" as I like to call it? I mean, I remember reading before that York U GO bus users taking the 407 buses will get off the GO Bus at 407 station, and be able to use the subway for free provided they are headed to York U. I tried asking about this at Doors Open and no one knew the answer.

That being said, if an agreement can be reached, let me just say, I am a mature student of civil engineering at Ryerson, and I generally use the GO Train from Malton Station (I'm from Brampton), if York U students can get a free subway shuttle, why can't Ryerson or U of Toronto students get the same treatment? Indeed, I generally walk the distance of the PATH once at Union (I got no idea what a U of T student does on the other hand), but all I'm saying, if York U students get this special treatment, so should Ryerson and U of T students.

As for Downsview Park station.....beautiful on the inside, but man, I think we all know that this stop is destined now to become the new Bessarion or Ellesmere, this stop doesn't presently serve a substantial purpose and probably never will (even if the Barrie Line gets that all day service)

You're absolutely right. Technically, those signs will not allow the building to pass a fire dept inspection in Ontario. I don't even think that now in 2017 the TTC could plead that the project was under construction before the new code came into effect, as some building contractors have done. The unofficial grace period is certainly over, and what's worse, the TTC has made those into custom signs. Emergency exit or not, they are not up to code and the TTC could have to replace all of the signs already.

I COULD be wrong, but I think if the building started construction prior to the running man signs being compulsory, you can still use the red exit signs.

This is indeed the case at Ryerson's Student Learning Centre where every exit sign is the big red word (the way it should be in my books but that's a debate for another day)

That being said, if an agreement can be reached, let me just say, I am a mature student of civil engineering at Ryerson, and I generally use the GO Train from Malton Station (I'm from Brampton), if York U students can get a free subway shuttle, why can't Ryerson or U of Toronto students get the same treatment? Indeed, I generally walk the distance of the PATH once at Union (I got no idea what a U of T student does on the other hand), but all I'm saying, if York U students get this special treatment, so should Ryerson and U of T students.

I think the reason that there was a push for a free transfer to the subway was that there are students from all over the region using YT/VIVA and/or GO and/or BT/Zum to get to York that currently do so paying one fare.....then this massive transit improvement comes along and word gets out that one of the side effects is that buses will no longer go to campus but, rather, to a TTC station forcing another fare to be paid........

....it seems to have solved itself because those students can now stay on their buses and get the same single fare that they have now.

The UofT/Ryerson thing is not the same at all....people from York Region/Malton/Brampton never had a single fare ride to school before so it was not something being taken away from them part way through their schooling.

Did anyone notice the art piece Piston Effect was on at York U? Will these LCD squares be backlit or just reflective? Relying on reflection did not seem to have much impact when I saw it Saturday.

Back