IMG_4812.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4813.JPG
    IMG_4813.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4812.JPG
    IMG_4812.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 271
Interestingly, Queen and Queen's Park stations are closer together at ~1.23km vs. Downsview/Sheppard W and Downsview Park stations at ~1.40km. I wonder if we ought to rename Queen or Queen's Park, then, if it confuses so many people?

Aside from the fact that there are five stations in between them, they aren't referring to the same place. Downsview and Downsview Park are.

Sheppard West makes more sense than Downsview in it's own right, even without the extension.

Actually, wouldn't it make more sense (and save a lot of confusion, name changing, etc.) to name Downsview Park station as Sheppard West and keep Downsview as Downsview... given that Downsview park station is also on Sheppard, and is further west than the renamed Sheppard West station...

Actually, wouldn't it make more sense (and save a lot of confusion, name changing, etc.) to name Downsview Park station as Sheppard West and keep Downsview as Downsview... given that Downsview park station is also on Sheppard, and is further west than the renamed Sheppard West station...

No. The former Downsview station actually crosses Sheppard, while Downsview Park merely runs alongside it and serves the park itself. No doubt to me which station deserves the name Sheppard West.

Last edited:

Nope. The 84 Sheppard West bus will continue to connect at Sheppard West Station. The Downsview Park station is within the park grounds, and the 84 bus (and others in the area) won't stop there.

Hopefully that's the end of this silly debate.

Who knew that even a simple name change like this would be so controversial.

Is it controversial aside from like 5 people on this board?

At this point I'm responding to the thread only because I now have an emotional investment in seeing how long this can keep going.

Toronto, where people are frustrated and/or confused about how to name interchange stations, what to do when your bare-bones system ends up with more than 1 station on the same street,and what happens when the newest station on the system gets renamed. Chaos all around! I wonder if people were confused back in the 60s with the University line names.

"St. Patrick?!! But it's on Dundas Street!! Why not Dundas West!? And can't I easily walk from Osgoode from the existing Queen station? I'm not even a lawyer! Why not call it City Hall station?! St. Andrew? I don't even know who that is! And two of the stations are named after Saints - I'll get them confused all the time!"

Who cares! do you ever think about any of this or just know where to get off because the names are names and once you know them you know them?

No. The former Downsview station actually crosses Sheppard, while Downsview Park merely runs alongside it and serves the park itself. No doubt to me which station deserves the name Sheppard West.

This is Downsview park station. Why don't you think that it's on Sheppard? If this isn't on Sheppard, then most of the Bloor stations aren't on Bloor (they run just north of it instead of under it) and many of the Yonge line stations aren't on Yonge (they run to the side of Yonge).

upload_2017-5-8_12-46-32.png

ALSO

The original working name of the station "Downsview Park" was Sheppard West so I don't see why it's obvious that it doesn't "deserve" the name...

upload_2017-5-8_13-1-15.png

Nope. The 84 Sheppard West bus will continue to connect at Sheppard West Station. The Downsview Park station is within the park grounds, and the 84 bus (and others in the area) won't stop there.

Hopefully that's the end of this silly debate.

OK well regardless of where the 84 bus stops, it's kind of silly to argue that Downsview Park couldn't be called Sheppard West. Would you expect the bus to duplicate the same route that has a subway underneath it? The point is that both stations are on Sheppard.

In general, the TTC has good working names for the stations that get changed to awful ones (Vaughn Metropolitan Centre). Same thing applies to the Eglinton LRT.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-8_12-46-32.png
    upload_2017-5-8_12-46-32.png
    715.5 KB · Views: 260
  • upload_2017-5-8_13-1-15.png
    upload_2017-5-8_13-1-15.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

I think how it is now makes more sense. Sheppard West (formerly Downsview) is the concession road stop, Downsview Park is not in the concession, it's more of a mid-block intermediate stop.

The precedence of the Spadina Line has been to attribute "West" to where the concession stops occur (St Clair West, Eglinton West and Lawrence West) while the midblocks (Glencairn, Yorkdale) get stand-alone unique names. Ergo, how the planners have implemented things will make wayfinding easier overall.

The only downside is what will happen if ever the Sheppard subway is extended west to Dufferin? Sheppard West-Dufferin North Stn? That'd be a mouth full.

On another subject, if anyone cares, the actual O&M agreement for the line is finally getting close to approval. Some interesting tidbits within.

That seems to implicitly say that there won't be any free transfers between Go Transit/YRT/Zum and York University, at least without some further negotiation/agreement.

On a related note, I found this article from a couple of months ago, which says that "nothing has been decided" with regard to the York University Go Train station.

Back