Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I like the fact that they are using neighbourhoods and local landmarks for names, instead of just streets. It gives much more character to the stations/names. They can print the street's name below the station's name, for those who don't know the city.

It also avoids nonsense like Lawrence, Lawrence West, and Lawrence East. Sheppard West is a travesty we can't seem to avoid. Likewise, Finch West. We have avoided Steeles West. West of what?

It also avoids nonsense like Lawrence, Lawrence West, and Lawrence East. Sheppard West is a travesty we can't seem to avoid. Likewise, Finch West.

So then I assume your preferred name was Downsview, which of course is right after Downsview Park station. As if that is somehow better that the "travesty" of having the same street name.

We have avoided Steeles West. West of what?

Isn't the road is called "Steeles Avenue West"? It's not hard to see why the station was named Steeles West. So to answer your question, it's west of Yonge. And eventually it will also be west of a new subway station Yonge & Steeles.

Maybe they should rename "St. Patrick" station after the Art Gallery of Ontario? It's closer to the station than the Pioneer Village Station is to it's name sake.

It's "suburb close", because in the suburbs nothing is ever close to anything.

Tourists and other people would know that if they want to get to Black Creek Pioneer Village by transit, this would be the closest subway stop. Even better if BCPV operates a small shuttle between the station and the front entrance.

I really don't see what's so terrible about the Pioneer Village name.

It's "suburb close", because in the suburbs nothing is ever close to anything.

Tourists and other people would know that if they want to get to Black Creek Pioneer Village by transit, this would be the closest subway stop. Even better if BCPV operates a small shuttle between the station and the front entrance.

I really don't see what's so terrible about the Pioneer Village name.

They should have planted trees and scrubs y-e-s-t-e-r-d-a-y along a pea-gravel walkway from the Pioneer Village Station to Black Creek Pioneer Village. Better than using concrete or asphalt sidewalks. By the time the extension opened, the trees and scrubs would have had some growth on them. If they planted them now, they would still be just sticks in the ground when the extension opens.

4.-Oak-Alley-along-the-Mississippi-River-outside-New-Orleans-Louisiana-20-Magical-Tree-Tunnels-You-Should-Definitely-Take-A-Walk-Through.jpg

22118183060_3a27c91795_b.jpg

Link here to the streetview on Google maps and "walk" to the station, now. Looks bad. Time to spruce it up should have been five years ago, but at the very least do something.

I wonder it Pioneer Village was chosen over Steeles West because the TTC because thinks some riders might think there's also a Steeles Station on the Yonge line?
then why not say steeles and in the future if there is a steeles on yonge line, call it steeles east or reverse names and call it steeles and the steeles on spadina call steeles west., Its not like the TTC hass not changed station names in the past (Downsview)

I like the fact that they are using neighbourhoods and local landmarks for names, instead of just streets. It gives much more character to the stations/names. They can print the street's name below the station's name, for those who don't know the city.
hate the idea.
Maybe they should rename "St. Andrew" station after the Royal Alex or Roy Thompson Hall?

Maybe they should rename "St. Patrick" station after the Art Gallery of Ontario? It's closer to the station than the Pioneer Village Station is to it's name sake.
please lets stop with renaming stations. Sattions should be named after cross streets. How many people know the neighbourhood of Fairbank?

then why not say steeles and in the future if there is a steeles on yonge line, call it steeles east or reverse names and call it steeles and the steeles on spadina call steeles west., Its not like the TTC hass not changed station names in the past (Downsview)

Because in this case the name is literally built into the design of the station.

hate the idea.

please lets stop with renaming stations. Sattions should be named after cross streets. How many people know the neighbourhood of Fairbank?

your sentences contradict each other....if you really believe that stations should be named after cross streets...then there should be some station renaming....no?

It also avoids nonsense like Lawrence, Lawrence West, and Lawrence East. Sheppard West is a travesty we can't seem to avoid. Likewise, Finch West. We have avoided Steeles West. West of what?

Wait till you have DRL to Eglinton - then you can potentially have - West of Eglinton West, Eglinton West, Eglinton, Eglinton East. Stations get named after places and even people all the time - only would Toronto get all worked up over calling it anything but intersections.

AoD

hate the idea.

Really good way to get boring station names.

"Okay kids, to get to the ROM we'll take the GO Train into Front-between-Bay-and-York Station, then the subway up to Charles West Station. Later to get to the Ontario Science Centre we'll get off at Don Mills South-ish Station."

If only other cities did this too... Who would want station names like Canary Wharf and Marble Arch? That gives you no idea where you're going... Instead it should be Upper Bank and Bayswater East!

Really good way to get boring station names.

"Okay kids, to get to the ROM we'll take the GO Train into Front-between-Bay-and-York Station, then the subway up to Charles West Station. Later to get to the Ontario Science Centre we'll get off at Don Mills South-ish Station."

If only other cities did this too... Who would want station names like Canary Wharf and Marble Arch? That gives you no idea where you're going... Instead it should be Upper Bank and Bayswater East!

Hence the need for a case by case decision. Obviously there were bungles for this extension as well as the ECT, but there shouldnt be a set method of naming stations.

So your suggestion is that there should be no policy at all? Not to sound all "big government" but that's kind of the point of having a governing body. They set rules and follow them. As I said above, the problem here was not any of the individual names but how TTC ignored its own policies. It's totally fine to say that policy needed revising but you can't run a government or agency where they make things up as they go along on a case by case basis.

So your suggestion is that there should be no policy at all? Not to sound all "big government" but that's kind of the point of having a governing body. They set rules and follow them. As I said above, the problem here was not any of the individual names but how TTC ignored its own policies. It's totally fine to say that policy needed revising but you can't run a government or agency where they make things up as they go along on a case by case basis.

This actually sounds like the height of useless bureaucracy and reminds me of the scene in the movie Brazil where the government functionary asks if the citizen would like a receipt for his receipt. The proof of the stupidity of all of this is that Eglinton Station didn't emerge from this as Eglinton-Yonge the same way that Sheppard-Yonge did.

Even worse, we paid functionaries a lot of money for stupid decisions. I always hate paying for something that could have been had for free.

Furthermore, although there are people on this forum who are clearly architects and transit experts, you will notice that no one here is taking responsibility for something this stupid. I'd hang my head in shame if I were responsible for a decision so daft in the face of a convention so obvious and consistent.

Back