Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

your sentences contradict each other....if you really believe that stations should be named after cross streets...then there should be some station renaming....no?
what I mean is for example all those stupid names on the Crosstown that have ben proposed should go back to what they were (cross streets) because all this name changing should not have occurred in the first place. Same thing with the changing of Downsview, Sheppard. I never use those stations but am totally confused to what is what.
Second, I am sure the originally proposed name for Pioneer Village was Steeles or Steelees West because thats what the TTC naming convention has been for the most part (cross streets), but somehow Pioneer Village got in there (and I am sure not the TTC doing) It should not be complicated.

Basically I guess yes - go back to original names instead of the new names

Last edited:
what I mean is for example all those stupid names on the Crosstown that have ben proposed should go back to what they were (cross streets) because all this name changing should not have occurred in the first place. Same thing with the changing of Downsview, Sheppard. I never use those stations but am totally confused to what is what.
Second, I am sure the originally proposed name for Pioneer Village was Steeles or Steelees West because thats what the TTC naming convention has been for the most part (cross streets), but somehow Pioneer Village got in there (and I am sure not the TTC doing) It should not be complicated.

Basically I guess yes - go back to original names instead of the new names
my point is that if you are going to go to all stations should be named after cross streets...every stop on University south of Bloor would have to be renamed.

People are just way over thinking this and I'm guessing Trabsitbart is a libertarian since he thinks a simple government policy is the height of buerocratic madness.
It's perfectly reasonable to have a policy that says cross streets are the default unless there is a landmark nearby. How is that like having a receipt for a receipt?

I love Brazil, but I've got news for you, "case by case" is a policy too. It's just an anarchic policy that trusts individuals over time to create a system with consistency and coherence.
There's nothing really wrong with "Pioneer Village" or, for that matter to rename Dupont "Casa Loma" but to allow whoever happens to be on the TTC to just decide on that with no adherence to a greater plan? No.

And, as has already been pointed out, major systems like NYC manage to operate with repeating names.
So, move along, is my point. Again.

Last edited:
People are just way over thinking this and I'm guessing Trabsitbart is a libertarian since he thinks a simple government policy is the height of buerocratic madness.
It's perfectly reasonable to have a policy that says cross streets are the default unless there is a landmark nearby. How is that like having a receipt for a receipt? (l love Brazil, but I've got news for you "case by case" is a policy too. It's just an anarchic policy that trusts individuals over time to create a system with consistency and coherence.
There's nothing really wrong with "Pioneer Village" or, for that matter to rename Dupont "Casa Loma" but to allow whoever happens to be on that TTC to just decide on that with no adherence to a greater plan? No.
And, as has already been pointed out, major systems like NYC manage to operate with repeating names.
So, move along, is my point. Again.

@TransitBart is outspoken. No problem with Pioneer Village. I like it. Can't stand The three Lawrence's. How boring.

All bureaucracy is bad. Always. Not all government is bureaucratic. Just the worst of it. Plenty of businesses suffer from bureaucratic sclerosis. It doesn't only infect Metrolinx.

I guess it comes down to two schools of thought: 1. naming after the cross street and 2. unique names

I feel on an LRT and on subway the cross street is the most appropriate naming scheme. I think you need a really good reason to break the convention.

GO train lines though, on the other hand, make much more sense to be named after communities.

At least Toronto does not have a succession of numbered streets that are likely to be subway stop names. 1st. 3rd. 5th St. Boring. Rather see Invalides or Hôtel de Ville. Or Merced, Chilpancingo and Tasqueña. Those are memorable.

At least Toronto does not have a succession of numbered streets that are likely to be subway stop names. 1st. 3rd. 5th St. Boring. Rather see Invalides or Hôtel de Ville. Or Merced, Chilpancingo and Tasqueña. Those are memorable.

Yes, how can 42nd Street compete with the romance of Pie IX? :)

People say a lot of things about New York City. I've never heard, "it's pretty exciting except for those boring subway station names..." (I also haven't heard "... If only its subway system was as great as Toronto's!" but why go there...)

I have no problem with a mix of cross streets and landmarks. I just want a guiding policy so I know we won't end up with "massive flag station" just because Mammoliti got on the TTC.

The names have to make sense and adhere to system wide guidelines. The ones in this thread are mostly ok (IMHO) but were decided on ad hoc, mostly politically.

Call it boring if you want, but those names are practical. For a lot of people it's hard enough already to figure out the NYC subway or find their way around the city, without having to also guess where the stations are actually located under your preferred naming system. There are still lots of stations that are named after key landmarks (where it makes sense), but if you really think that all 469 stations should have a unique name just to be less "boring", then that's just absurd.

Good thing the official map of the New York City subway marks the locations of major surface streets, other railways, city limits, parks, neighbourhoods (and boroughs), major waterways (not just shorelines or major rivers), and airports:

Official_New_York_City_Subway_Map_vc.jpg

It proved extremely helpful when I was in New York City, as it showed exactly where each station is (and helps me differentiate the stations with duplicate names); other cities, Toronto included, aren't as detailed.

Good thing the official map of the New York City subway marks the locations of major surface streets, other railways, city limits, parks, neighbourhoods (and boroughs), major waterways (not just shorelines or major rivers), and airports:

Official_New_York_City_Subway_Map_vc.jpg

It proved extremely helpful when I was in New York City, as it showed exactly where each station is (and helps me differentiate the stations with duplicate names); other cities, Toronto included, aren't as detailed.
To be fair ttc chose to also include all surface routes as well so that will inherently make it much more congested. If this map also include mta surface routes it would pretty much be illegible. Then again you do bring a point of simplicity and clarity...something that is very foreign in ttcs vocabulary

NYC Subway Map...one of the transit maps that I bow down to :D

As impressive as it is, all those details make it kind of ugly not as portable as other large systems. The map is HUGE in person. You have to unfold it at least 3-4 times before opening the rest up accordion style to see the full system. It's literally the size of a poster when fully open. When I visit I rip off everything except mid-town and lower Manhattan with part of Brooklyn. Even after that, it still has to be folded a few times to fit in my pocket. This is also due to the size they decided to print it

The London Underground map on the other hand is incredibly small for the size of the system but still very easy to read in person. As far as I know, NYC is the only map that is poster size when unfolded. All of the other large subway system maps that I've seen are generally 8.5"x11"ish or smaller.

Comparing the size of the NYC (422 stations) to London on the left (270) and Paris above (302) maps.

IMG_20160904_151451.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160904_151451.jpg
    IMG_20160904_151451.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,278

Back