Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

That may be tough to avoid without a radical overhaul of the fare system. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for at least a TTC revamp, if not a region-wide one. It's desperately needed. An "I swear I'm only going to York U, please don't make me pay double" honour system probably won't work.

Maybe with PRESTO they can make it so that people who tap onto the subway but don't go any further than York U only have to pay 25 cents or no fare for the transfer, and those that go further have to pay the full double fare? We're paying $700M for this technology let's please see it be used as something more than just a simple balance holder :rolleyes:

Looks like VIVA will no longer go directly to York U. Here's hoping this doesn't mean students will be required to pay a double fare to transfer to the subway to make it down to York U :S

There are still some details to be hammered out, but people who start their trip on YRT may be able to transfer freely to the subway IF they are going to York U (provided they pay with Presto). The current thought is that they will have to tap-off at the station, which will then deduct their TTC fare from when they tapped on to enter the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

There are still some details to be hammered out, but people who start their trip on YRT may be able to transfer freely to the subway IF they are going to York U (provided they pay with Presto). The current thought is that they will have to tap-off at the station, which will then deduct their TTC fare from when they tapped on to enter the subway.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This makes sense

That may be tough to avoid without a radical overhaul of the fare system. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for at least a TTC revamp, if not a region-wide one. It's desperately needed. An "I swear I'm only going to York U, please don't make me pay double" honour system probably won't work.
Metrolinx? What's your say on this? This is a huge reason why you were created, non?..... (pin drop)

That small map is very interesting!

1. Viva Silver is shown. This would be the Jane-Major Mack route to Richmond Hill GO Station area.

2. The TTC-operated routes 105 Dufferin North, 107 Keele North, 165 Weston Rd. North, and 35D Jane no longer go north of Steeles; replaced by 75 Dufferin, 29 Keele, 65 Weston Road and a short loop replacing the 35D's routing north of Highway 7.

3. I'm a little surprised to see several YRT routes still entering York U's campus. I might have expected the routes on Keele (22 and new 29) to enter to connect with the TTC's 41 and 106 routes which will still likely enter the campus, but all others sent to Highway 7, 407 or Steeles stations.

4. New route 101 looks to be a replacement for Viva Purple from Richmond Hill Centre. It looks like Viva Orange continues east to Richmond Hill as well.

5. Brampton's 501/501A might be a problem. Right now, Brampton route every second Zum bus on Queen Street via the 407 or Highway 7 in Vaughan; off-peak, this means each branch has a bus every 20-30 minutes (though in Brampton, it's still every 5, 7.5, 10, or 15 minutes on Queen depending on the time of day). Both branches should really have a common eastern terminal if the current service pattern continues as is; it'd mean playing Zum Roulette every time going west, hoping you're not waiting 20-30 minutes for the next bus when it otherwise be 10-15 minutes at worst.

The best option for Brampton is to extend the 501 to Highway 407 station, and have both branches serving it.

Last edited:

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That will require a change in the current practice with Presto fare cards. Only on GO are riders required to tap on and tap off (and then only if you don't have a default trip set up or you are not taking your default trip). Where presto is in use with other transit agencies it is only a tap on (as the fare is a flat rate), now you are going to have people tap on, then tap off, then tap back on at VCC? Doesn't seem like an ideal solution to me...

Looks like VIVA will no longer go directly to York U. Here's hoping this doesn't mean students will be required to pay a double fare to transfer to the subway to make it down to York U :S

I believe Steve Munro reported that the financial case for the subway extension assumed exactly this (everyone will be paying a second fare).

Thankfully it does look like people are working to avoid such a situation.

From what I've read the future Downsview Park TTC/GO station will not have a parking lot. If someone wants to use that station, they will need to use the TTC, or walk, to get to it.

I understand the plans are to build residential on the current Downsview Park site, and these residents could get good use of the station. And maybe down the road you would have rapid transit along Sheppard West and all-day GO service on that Barrie line. So in theory this station one-day could be very useful in a larger transit network.

But all these things are likely at least a decade or two away. So in the mean time, without a parking lot who will get good use of this station?

I see the main benefit for this station when it opens is that someone can take the GO to get to work downtown, and then take the subway back up to the station since that GO line has such poor service in the evening. But without fare integration between GO and TTC these types of trips are just too expensive.

From what I've read the future Downsview Park TTC/GO station will not have a parking lot. If someone wants to use that station, they will need to use the TTC, or walk, to get to it.

I understand the plans are to build residential on the current Downsview Park site, and these residents could get good use of the station. And maybe down the road you would have rapid transit along Sheppard West and all-day GO service on that Barrie line. So in theory this station one-day could be very useful in a larger transit network.

But all these things are likely at least a decade or two away. So in the mean time, without a parking lot who will get good use of this station?

I see the main benefit for this station when it opens is that someone can take the GO to get to work downtown, and then take the subway back up to the station since that GO line has such poor service in the evening. But without fare integration between GO and TTC these types of trips are just too expensive.

I suspect main reason d'être for this line will be for the ability to transfer to the subway and get to York U, Yorkdale, VCC or to North York Centre, since the only other reasonable transfer point for this would be the York U station which requires a shuttle bus, not sure if the York U station will just be taken out when this is finished. Ideally we'd have the subway on Sheppard connect with the Spadina line but the powers that be, for some reason, can't understand what the point of connecting the loop would be. So in essence, to respond to your post, the station, IMO, isn't for local needs but for connectivity to the larger network.

The sheppard west subway, though it will indoubtably have low ridership, still seems like the best solution to "close the gap". It would only be slightly more expensive than a Finch LRT extension and would reduce a transfer if Interlined with Spadina (which shouldn't be too hard given the frequencies on that part of the line) and run to York U or so. It would mean going from Humber College to Morningside would only require 2 transfers rather than 3, especially considering the middle transfer with the finch LRT would be so short (2 stops on the yonge line)

Things in Downsview Park are so spread out that I wonder how well the station will be used (besides huge events). I regularly drive to Downsview Park. While driving there requires a big detour due to the street configuration, if I took the subway I think it's still a 10-15 min walk to my destination. So I'm not sure how convenient it is for most people heading to the various facilities in Downsview.

Also a lot of the traffic into there is to hockey arenas or other sports facilities, so they'd have to carry lots of equipment, something many people would prefer a car trip for.

The sheppard west subway, though it will indoubtably have low ridership, still seems like the best solution to "close the gap". It would only be slightly more expensive than a Finch LRT extension and would reduce a transfer if Interlined with Spadina (which shouldn't be too hard given the frequencies on that part of the line) and run to York U or so. It would mean going from Humber College to Morningside would only require 2 transfers rather than 3, especially considering the middle transfer with the finch LRT would be so short (2 stops on the yonge line)

So you would choose Sheppard West subway extension over Finch LRT Phase 2 between Keele & Yonge?

Back