Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I suspect main reason d'être for this line will be for the ability to transfer to the subway and get to York U, Yorkdale, VCC or to North York Centre, since the only other reasonable transfer point for this would be the York U station which requires a shuttle bus, not sure if the York U station will just be taken out when this is finished. Ideally we'd have the subway on Sheppard connect with the Spadina line but the powers that be, for some reason, can't understand what the point of connecting the loop would be. So in essence, to respond to your post, the station, IMO, isn't for local needs but for connectivity to the larger network.

York U station will be eliminated and replace by the station at Sheppard West/Downsview Park and Hwy 7 in Vaughan/Concord. wrt to the usefulness of the station I kind of have to agree that the (subway) station could be the least used station on the line. Even if Downsview were to be fully developed there would probably still need to be a bus service to the station.

So you would choose Sheppard West subway extension over Finch LRT Phase 2 between Keele & Yonge?

I would as well, to be honest. The Finch West LRT will feed into the Spadina line, which is nowhere near capacity, especially in that area. By contrast, the Sheppard Subway and Sheppard East LRT will feed onto the Yonge line, which is approaching capacity in that area.

If the cost and ridership for both options would be similar, logically it makes more sense to give the line that connects to the overcrowded line a relief option, than to give the line that connects to an underused line an option to connect to the overcrowded line.

I would as well, to be honest. The Finch West LRT will feed into the Spadina line, which is nowhere near capacity, especially in that area. By contrast, the Sheppard Subway and Sheppard East LRT will feed onto the Yonge line, which is approaching capacity in that area.

If the cost and ridership for both options would be similar, logically it makes more sense to give the line that connects to the overcrowded line a relief option, than to give the line that connects to an underused line an option to connect to the overcrowded line.

Good point.

Agreed. I work at Osgoode Station, but I often just take the Yonge line all the way down and around. If I could avoid having to go through Bloor Station and action get to my destination on University or the spadina line with maybe only a 4-5 minute penalty to get a less crowded ride, I'm sure the market forces would probably see a lot of people go across to the Spadina line, not to mention the obvious connections to NYCC (from the west end), York U, and Yorkdale mall which are truly regional trip generators with consistent ridership as opposed to being confined to solely peak ridership.

Finch between Keele and Yogne is pretty void of large trip generators with a giant refinery, a water reservoir, one rehab centre and low rise housing between Bathurst and Yonge. Sheppard is probably one of the most successful avenue streets in the city, especially on sheppard west.

Last edited:
With a Sheppard West extension to Spadina, trips to Fairview Mall via the TTC suddenly becomes feasible too for a much greater part of the city!

I'm surprised this isn't discussed more often, I'd take this over a Sheppard East subway to nowhere. How much would a Sheppard West extension cost?

With a Sheppard West extension to Spadina, trips to Fairview Mall via the TTC suddenly becomes feasible too for a much greater part of the city!

I'm surprised this isn't discussed more often, I'd take this over a Sheppard East subway to nowhere. How much would a Sheppard West extension cost?

I agree. I think the cost that was pegged last was ebtween $1.4-2.5B? It would have a stop at Senlac, Bathurst and Faywood/Wilson Heights. Also providing transit the one of the city's few (if not only) skill hills at Earl Bales Park.

Agreed. I work at Osgoode Station, but I often just take the Yonge line all the way down and around. If I could avoid having to go through Bloor Station and action get to my destination on University or the spadina line with maybe only a 4-5 minute penalty to get a less crowded ride, I'm sure the market forces would probably see a lot of people go across to the Spadina line, not to mention the obvious connections to NYCC (from the west end), York U, and Yorkdale mall which are truly regional trip generators with consistent ridership as opposed to being confined to solely peak ridership.

Finch between Keele and Yogne is pretty void of large trip generators with a giant refinery, a water reservoir, one rehab centre and low rise housing between Bathurst and Yonge. Sheppard is probably one of the most successful avenue streets in the city, especially on sheppard west.
...a Bad Boy's, a Party Packagers, a Mandarin (though already served by Eglinton Station), Goodlife Fitness, the Branson clinic of North York General, and Northview Heights Collegiate are also major trip generators there as well

I agree. I think the cost that was pegged last was ebtween $1.4-2.5B? It would have a stop at Senlac, Bathurst and Faywood/Wilson Heights. Also providing transit the one of the city's few (if not only) skill hills at Earl Bales Park.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only station was Bathurst, or Bathurst & Faywood. Senlac really doesn't seem to have much around it, much less than Eglinton & Oakwood for example.

I would think that those going skiing would prefer to drive than taking their equipment or toboggans onto the subway.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only station was Bathurst, or Bathurst & Faywood. Senlac really doesn't seem to have much around it, much less than Eglinton & Oakwood for example.

I would think that those going skiing would prefer to drive than taking their equipment or toboggans onto the subway.

I believe you can rent skis at Earl Bales, or at least you could when I went a few years back.

^ @Johnny Au, Do people usually take transit to go furniture shopping? :p

It would also take a retrofitting of Sheppard and Sheppard West stations to accommodate the extension, and some further engineering changes/costs if we would want it to interline with Spadina North.

btw, at what depth is the Sheppard subway at? I am sure we thought ahead of this when constructing Sheppard so that there wouldn't be any problems with a future extension passing through the Yonge?

It would also take a retrofitting of Sheppard and Sheppard West stations to accommodate the extension, and some further engineering changes/costs if we would want it to interline with Spadina North.

The sheppard line was designed to be extended. There's a tail track that goes all the way to Welbeck Road, so there's no retrofit required at Sheppard/Yonge. There's also an unfinished centre platform at that station that can be used one day if ridership goes up. I'm not sure what will happen at Downsview, however that station was originally built for the purpose of connecting to the Sheppard line.

Last edited:
^ @Johnny Au, Do people usually take transit to go furniture shopping? :p

Of course. That time we lugged our living room set onto the subway, we only delayed the YUS by 9 minutes. And the TTC's supervisors were more than happy to help us get it off the train. Who needs a moving company? :rolleyes:

Tongue is firmly in cheek

Thank goodness people are finally talking about this obvious extension. Yonge/sheppard station is already designed for it, Downsview should be, there are easy access points for TBMs, and we have four of them that are about to be sold for a penny on the dollar because "we don't have a use for them."

Back