Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Depending on how much damage was done the the structural frame for the conveyor belt system as well the belt itself, it could be a week to a month delay or more.

Then what smoke damage was caused by the fire??

This line has had its share of problems so far and expect more.

The only good this extension was good for according to MTO, was to have a parking lot at Hwy 7 to suck the drivers from going into Toronto. MTO was too short as to where the subway should stop my 5 miles.

If the LRT was built in place of this extension, Service would be starting this year to King City at 25% of the current price tag for this extension.

I think this extension is more key for future planned projects. the 407 Transitway and Finch ave. LRT are perfect examples of how this line will build its ridership over time, slowly becoming a viable transit extension. the Sheppard subway on the other hand is a whole other issue. Admittedly the subway will be essentially empty north of Steeles for the first couple of years, I expect it to start bustling around 2018-2020 when VMC is starting to reach partial buildout and the Finch LRT is built.

I think this extension is more key for future planned projects. the 407 Transitway and Finch ave. LRT are perfect examples of how this line will build its ridership over time, slowly becoming a viable transit extension. the Sheppard subway on the other hand is a whole other issue. Admittedly the subway will be essentially empty north of Steeles for the first couple of years, I expect it to start bustling around 2018-2020 when VMC is starting to reach partial buildout and the Finch LRT is built.

VMC bustling by 2018-2020? I want what you are on!!!! At the moment there is what: 1 office tower proposed and 5 condo towers in sales. If we assume it takes roughly 5 yrs to go from plan to proposal to construction to completion than there would have to be construction starting between now and 2015 on a scale that would dwarf what is happening now in Toronto.

The fact is that VMC extension will carry less than 5000 peak riders (projected) a day in 2031 if all goes well. To say it will be bustling in 2020 is simply laughable.

We dis the Sheppard line, which was chopped short of completion, for carrying roughly 6 000 riders per peak hour but laud the Spadina extension for doing the same? Why just for the sake of people who don't want to get off one form of transit to board the subway?

VMC bustling by 2018-2020? I want what you are on!!!! At the moment there is what: 1 office tower proposed and 5 condo towers in sales. If we assume it takes roughly 5 yrs to go from plan to proposal to construction to completion than there would have to be construction starting between now and 2015 on a scale that would dwarf what is happening now in Toronto.

The fact is that VMC extension will carry less than 5000 peak riders (projected) a day in 2031 if all goes well. To say it will be bustling in 2020 is simply laughable.

We dis the Sheppard line, which was chopped short of completion, for carrying roughly 6 000 riders per peak hour but laud the Spadina extension for doing the same? Why just for the sake of people who don't want to get off one form of transit to board the subway?

I totally agree with you and was going to make a similar comment. Sheppard gets lambasted for no good reason, even though the line was never finished. I really don't understand it.

The finch LRT alone will create 3,400 peak daily riders, with probably 80% of them using the subway. Then there is York U, a major transit point that the Shepard subway sorely lacks.

I totally agree with you and was going to make a similar comment. Sheppard gets lambasted for no good reason, even though the line was never finished. I really don't understand it.

The problem with Sheppard is that a large number of condos were built between Yonge and Don Mills, but the subway was never finished and there are not enough subways in the rest of the GTA. Also employment growth near Yonge/Sheppard has lagged due to high commercial tax rates. The result is that most of the condo residents, who mostly do not work downtown, drive to work, and there is a severe traffic congestion problem on Sheppard Avenue between Yonge and Victoria Park, and along Highway 401. Sheppard Avenue by itself (ignoring the 401) is much busier than the subway, especially outside rush hour. If the Sheppard subway were finished, and more subways were built elsewhere serving suburban employment areas (e.g. Eglinton Avenue to the airport, or Don Mills Road), then more people in those condo buildings would use transit. Compare this to the subway to "Vaughan Centre", which is an unattractive area near a large railway yard and industrial wasteland and Jane/Finch, where the best we can hope for is a half-dozen condos and office buildings, far less than in the much nicer area along Sheppard between Yonge and Don Mills.

Totally asinine isn't it??? I actually had a thought the other day, that Downsview could actually become the next High Park neighbourhood. Downsview park is larger than High Park isn't it? Add in the subway extension, the GO line, and (hopefully) a Sheppard extension and the Downsview area could have a density and urbaness that rivals High Park.

Sheppard is running at a right angle to the majority of the trips made on transit, and parallel to a 16 lane freeway. At Vaughan Centre the subway will at least be oriented north-south (i.e. in the direction most transit trips follow in the north end). There was no need to build that extension now, only the extension to York U made sense. It wasn't a priority for the city or the TTC to go to Vaughan, it was a priority for Vaughan and York Region and hence it was funded. They should have just put some land aside and built up the VCC first, but Vaughan didn't even bother to put their own city hall there so who knows if that would have ever happened with just a vision of a future subway. In any case it looks like Vaughan is now serious about changing the land use in the area and there isn't likely to be residential NIMBYs complaining about every change in the neighbourhood so perhaps it will eventually be a worthwhile investment. Sheppard just doesn't have that potential because it is an east-west route in the north end. The number of employers and other significant draws in the North York Centre or Scarborough Centre area would need to increase significantly for trips in the Sheppard area to become mostly east-west in nature.

Last edited:
Sheppard is running at a right angle to the majority of the trips made on transit, and parallel to a 16 lane freeway. At Vaughan Centre the subway will at least be oriented north-south (i.e. in the direction most transit trips follow in the north end).

Vaughan Centre is near a major N-S freeway and a tolled E-W expressway. I'd say that while the most trips coming from Vaughan Centre DO run in the N-S direction, the percentage of trips is not over 50%. There are a fair number of trips that run W to Brampton/Mississauga, E to Markham/Richmond Hill and some even N. The percentage of passengers headed South is less than you'd think.

There was no need to build that extension now, only the extension to York U made sense. It wasn't a priority for the city or the TTC to go to Vaughan, it was a priority for Vaughan and York Region and hence it was funded. They should have just put some land aside and built up the VCC first, but Vaughan didn't even bother to put their own city hall there so who knows if that would have ever happened with just a vision of a future subway.

Yet nobody even considered an alternative cheaper option (LRT/BRT) it was all subway. The city hall and new hospital are two examples of how Vaughan failed to take a leadership role in creating it's 'NEW' metropolitan centre by placing these buildings there. Instead they expect developers to do it for them

In any case it looks like Vaughan is now serious about changing the land use in the area and there isn't likely to be residential NIMBYs complaining about every change in the neighbourhood so perhaps it will eventually be a worthwhile investment.

What came first the VMC plan or the subway extension? Don't you think they have to show some sort of effort in creating Transit Oriented Development now that the subway is being built? I mean even less than 10 years ago Vaughan was happy with letting the area become an area of big box stores and sprawl.

Yet nobody even considered an alternative cheaper option (LRT/BRT) it was all subway. The city hall and new hospital are two examples of how Vaughan failed to take a leadership role in creating it's 'NEW' metropolitan centre by placing these buildings there. Instead they expect developers to do it for them

I totally agree with your opinion about the decision to new Civic Centre built out at Maple. Jane and Highway 7 would have shown a real commitment to urbanizing that wasteland that the subway is going to terminate at in three years. As for a hospital, I think the Jane/Major Mack is a better site for a regional-sized hospital that could serve Vaughan as well as King and Bolton. The mega hospitals built these days aren't particularly urban - they best they get are the new Humber River site in Downsview.

Last edited:
MTA (New York City) has a photostream on Flickr, at this link. Where's the TTC's?

These are of the 2nd Avenue Subway contruction...
8475914917_113007df80_b.jpg

8477004676_56cb6347d1_b.jpg

8477004644_41d80828a3_b.jpg

8475914281_d41f5811db_b.jpg

Back