Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

So what happens to Holey now that she has finished tunneling? Are these TMBs being used for the ERT? (My apologies as I'm sure this has been touched on somewhere in the 208 pages of this thread).

Those New York construction pics show that it would be possible to build a subway station box underneath an existing one. If the DRL happens, a Lower Union could be built to make Union an interchange station.

those caverns are built like that because they have no other option. there is a reason NYC Subways cost over a billion dollars a kilometre.

Those New York construction pics show that it would be possible to build a subway station box underneath an existing one. If the DRL happens, a Lower Union could be built to make Union an interchange station.

Soil type makes a huge difference in the cost of doing such a thing.

Also, keep in mind there are 2 layers of subway under Front street already; one with trains and a major electrical corridor. The electrical corridor can be moved but will add $100M to the cost.

Adding a lower union subway station below the existing station is going to start at $500M and go up as problems are found.

Last edited:
Soil type makes a huge difference in the cost of doing such a thing.

Also, keep in mind there are 2 layers of subway under Front street already; one with trains and a major electrical corridor. The electrical corridor can be moved but will add $100M to the cost.

Adding a lower union subway station below the existing station is going to start at $500M and go up as problems are found.

Plus I'm not even sure how you would connect the new platform with the existing Union subway platforms. Even with the expansion they seem pretty cramped, so I'm not sure where you could fit new sets of escalators to circulate down to the new platforms. And existing vertical circulation would be swamped by the addition of a new line. The new platform could be to the north or south and connect directly to the subway concourse, but there would be obvious conflicts with building foundations.

I think the most obvious Toronto comparison to the Eastside Access Project would be the proposed GO Lakeshore tunnel scheme.

As for DRL/Union station, I'm not sure it's necessary to have a direct interface like, say, St. George Station. Depending on other choices, the line could be underground like in the GO diagram above under the existing rail corridor (see here). If the DRL was more S-bahnish, it could even just take up existing surface platforms.

Last edited:
I'm kinda hoping that a Lake Shore solution is 1/5th the cost.

I don't have the stomach for a $3 billion per kilometer cost on Lake Shore.

I just don't understand why we'd spend ~1-2 billion on a Lakeshore tunnel and only run 12 trains per hour through there :-/

What a waste.

Considering how much GO capacity improvements and DRL overlap, it's frustrating we don't talk about how the two fit together more often.

I'd love to eventually see 4-6 platforms under unio station like that for intercity rail including HSR, hopefully to NYC, Detroit/Chicago and Montreal. Some regional rail to places like Peterborough and Sudbury as well with any luck. This is just a pipe dream of course :D

I hope that we document our megaprojects in photos like the Spadina line extension just as well as New York appears to be doing. Today, you can easily find photos of Canada's first subway line under construction under Yonge Street, but it's harder to find photos of subsequent subway construction. People like to see historical photos of major projects like subway construction. Having a good official collection of photos (and videos) helps build civic consciousness and aids in historical research.

I hope that we document our megaprojects in photos like the Spadina line extension just as well as New York appears to be doing. Today, you can easily find photos of Canada's first subway line under construction under Yonge Street, but it's harder to find photos of subsequent subway construction. People like to see historical photos of major projects like subway construction. Having a good official collection of photos (and videos) helps build civic consciousness and aids in historical research.

I wonder if this is related to different construction techniques.

The main reason NY's construction photos are interesting is because of the huge cavern stations. The photo of four tunnels entering into the future station box for instance is just insane, it communicates just how big of a project it is.

In Toronto we could only really take photos of the subway tunnels. Our stations are excavated pits which fundamentally look like condo pits, and a tunnel is a tunnel is a tunnel. They all kind of look the same around the globe.

I expect construction pics to become more common once the actual stations start to take form, the pics will start being a bit more unique then.

They do get documented, even if the photos aren't immediately available. All major construction firms either have staff photographers, or hire one of the firms who specialize in construction photography for the job. In almost all cases, the photographs (or copies of them) are turned over to the owner upon completion of the project.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's good to hear. The tunnels and stations are interesting to see when they're under construction, as photos taken by urban explorers demonstrate. Most interesting will probably be the unique stations as they're finished and the works of art are installed. I don't think I've ever seen any photos of the 1978 Spadina line under construction. I'd like to see photos of the mosaics being created at Dupont and Lawrence West stations, for instance. I'm also interested in what Spadina Road looked like when tunnelling was taking place beneath it. The important thing is that the photos of current subway projects are eventually given to the Toronto Archives, preserving public access to them.

Last edited:

Back