Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

Without the arches and rust-coloured window frames on the base, I now literally couldn't care less if this thing goes under. Bring on the appeal of the OMB decision.
Yes, these were among the better features of their plan and they did reflect (somewhat) the historic row on the south side of Colborne that this building will face (and probably spoil.

I honestly don't even believe that slash I just screamed in my head. I need to see it to believe it. Especially the arch over the vehicular entrance - I can't imagine what is supposed to replace that feature.

Developers need to deliver what they have promised or purchasers should be allowed to drop out. If developers can change their minds, why can't buyers? Everything seems so unbalanced, in favour of the developers and it's not fair to condo buyers.

it is like you have to wait for a plane that is 30 minutes late, but the plane will not wait for you for even 3 minutes. :p

The orange/rust coloured window frames have not gone away, I never said that. I am only talking about ground level. That's it. The frames you're all talking about start on the second level, and they are still a part of the design.

Regarding the OMB appeal, McConnell asked for it but I am told that Council did not vote in favour of it.

Regarding the OMB appeal, McConnell asked for it but I am told that Council did not vote in favour of it.

You are not correct: It passed, easily:

City Council Decision

City Council on August 25, 26, 27 and 28, 2014, adopted the following:

1. City Council direct the City Solicitor to file a motion for leave to appeal to the Divisional Court from the Ontario Municipal Board decision of July 31, 2014 respecting 101 King Street East and 54 to 70 Colborne Street and to proceed with the appeal, if leave is granted by the court.

2. City Council direct the City Solicitor to file a motion with the Ontario Municipal Board to initiate a review of its decision of July 31, 2014 respecting 101 King Street East and 54 to 70 Colborne Street and to instruct staff to attend the review, if leave is granted by the Ontario Municipal Board.

3. City Council request the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, to initiate a review of The St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Focused Area and report to the Toronto and East York Community Council in 2015 providing a recommended amendment to the Official Plan to establish a new Area Specific Official Plan Policy with respect to height and built form of new development, as well as community benefits under Section 37.

4. City Council direct the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning to schedule a community consultation meeting for the proposed Official Plan Amendment with the Ward Councillor.

Last edited by a moderator:
So then the groundbreaking event…? They're going ahead without knowing how big they can go?

That could be the case. The Freed building at 621 King West was started - shoring, excavation and foundations and initial floors built - based on the original approvals, with the additional hight approved later by the OMB, after construction was well underway. Then again, the 'groundbreaking' could also be primarily marketing focused, to help spur sales of the remaining units, especially if there are actually no formal approvals (that are not subject to the appeal) already in place.

The OMB has reissued their decision on 60 Colborne and removed their strange reasoning about why they could not order a s 37 contribution so I suspect the court case has been dropped.

The earlier decision is at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/pl121394-Jul-31-2014.pdf

The revision is at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/Colborne-Decision (Revised).pdf

In essence they deleted the last few paragraphs and inserted paragraphs 72 and 73. I find it interesting that there is no indication on OMB site that the July 31 decision was amended.

The plan for the ground level of 60 Colborne has changed. No more arches, no more vermiculated rustication. You may have found it ugly, I found it very interesting. The plan now is for rectangular windows in projecting stainless steel frames. Haven't seen pics yet, but it could still look quite good.

Section 73 on the last page of the OMB decision approved the "plans and drawings" as submitted. The Site Plan process still has to be completed, so city staff presumably still has the ability to insist that the final elevations be substantially in accordance with the approved plans. How accurate are your sources, interchange, who have told you that the design has changed?

The OMB has reissued their decision on 60 Colborne and removed their strange reasoning about why they could not order a s 37 contribution so I suspect the court case has been dropped.

The earlier decision is at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/pl121394-Jul-31-2014.pdf

The revision is at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/Colborne-Decision (Revised).pdf

In essence they deleted the last few paragraphs and inserted paragraphs 72 and 73. I find it interesting that there is no indication on OMB site that the July 31 decision was amended.

Ah, well the groundbreaking makes more sense now in regards to Freed having known that they could go ahead with the building at 25 storeys, etc. etc.

Section 73 on the last page of the OMB decision approved the "plans and drawings" as submitted. The Site Plan process still has to be completed, so city staff presumably still has the ability to insist that the final elevations be substantially in accordance with the approved plans. How accurate are your sources, interchange, who have told you that the design has changed?

The sources are impeccable. Haven't seen the new drawings yet. Who knows, they could be fab, and no idea what the city staff will have to say.

Looks like the marketing suite has now been stripped bare, in preparation for its demolition and the start of construction.

Fencing up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 1,384

Back