Toronto Sixty Colborne Condos | 82.29m | 25s | Freed | a—A

I am not sure what the OMB decision will be (I think we can safely say they'll support it), but I do know that Freed is aiming to have construction begin by end of summer.
I am sure that the OMB will support SOMETHING but it may require changes in the plans and the City still has to approve the site plan etc. They MIGHT be able to start excavation in late summer or fall but I will be quite surprised. It's June 23 and even if OMB gave a complete approval to Freed's last plans tomorrow I doubt they could mobilise so fast. Apart from anything it needs Council sign-off and there is only one more Council before the election so City business moves very slowly.

I really hope this project gets approved; I don't understand the cities objection given its on the west side of Church; To me it serves it'll be a perfect transition from the core to old Toronto, where I do agree height should be moderated; And city has done a good job of that, look at all the condos built on the east side of: King / Richmond / Front / Adelaide. Just about all do a great job of fitting into old Toronto ..

are we saying the city has a problem with a 25s building at King/Church, steps away from subway line and the CBD? King/Church IS the core.
The height doesn't need to be moderated at such a central location. There doesn't seem to be anything nearby that risks being under its scary and devastating shadow either.

are we saying the city has a problem with a 25s building at King/Church, steps away from subway line and the CBD? King/Church IS the core.
The height doesn't need to be moderated at such a central location. There doesn't seem to be anything nearby that risks being under its scary and devastating shadow either.

The objections were no all to do with height, read the City Planning preliminary report on it at: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-46268.pdf

The Community Consultation was held and those there had some problems with the height of the podium (in particular), with traffic impact and some with shadowing. The City had not yet submitted a final report when Freed went to the OMB so we do not have a Report with their final objections but those outlined in the report above and at the community meeting were all discussed.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 185827 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 7, 2014

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Proposal for stand alone shoring and excavation for soil remediation.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Application#: 14 185827 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jul 7, 2014

Project: Other Shoring

Description: Proposal for stand alone shoring and excavation for soil remediation.

Interesting to see this application for excavation is being made for "soil remediation' - normally these permits are applied for as part of the development application and site plan. Clearly SOMETHING will go on the site and I suppose that Freed wants to get a head start on excavation.

excitedkid.gif

The OMB has now issued its ruling. The development is approved as the developer wanted and the City will receive no s37 'compensation'. Details at: http://www.slna.ca/slna-news-pdfs/pl121394-Jul-31-2014.pdf

That is not quite correct in regard to the s37 compensation. While the OMB is declining to become the negociant to determine a s37 compensation amount, Freed is volunteering to pay the city $250,000 in that regard.

An interesting point in the ruling (if I'm reading it correctly) is that the St. Lawrence neighbourhood plan doesn't jive with the city's official plan and/or Tall Buildings guidelines. Points were made about 45s Spire condo and the approved 58s 88 Scott building being a block away. It's hard to argue only 16s at this location when those buildings are a block away in either direction.

Interesting - a second s37 (partial) loss on Church. I'd have though KWT and the city would have learned from their losses at McGill street.

If I read the forum tone correctly, there is general support for taller buildings south of Wood street, and I suspect most area residents outside the McGill-Granby association would be ambivalent to these heights.

That is not quite correct in regard to the s37 compensation. While the OMB is declining to become the negociant to determine a s37 compensation amount, Freed is volunteering to pay the city $250,000 in that regard.

Yes, but the OMB says that they do not HAVE to keep that promise - we will see if they do so.

wouldn't this location be Pam McConnell's ward?

Interesting - a second s37 (partial) loss on Church. I'd have though KWT and the city would have learned from their losses at McGill street.

If I read the forum tone correctly, there is general support for taller buildings south of Wood street, and I suspect most area residents outside the McGill-Granby association would be ambivalent to these heights.

You are correct - it is Pam McConnell's ward

This is so far removed from McGill-Granby that I'm not sure where the reference comes from. In this case the board of Market Square (but not all the actual residents) was dead set against the height here, as were some others in the neighbourhood.

Application: Partial Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Application#: 14 207315 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Aug 15, 2014

Project: Other Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - To construct a new 25 storey condo building with 254 residential dwelling units, and retail uses on grade. There will also be five floors of below grade parking provided.

Back