News   Apr 19, 2024
 345     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 674     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 740     1 

Toronto shootings

Lethal, it very subjective. White panel van can be lethal. In Canada white penal van have killed infinitely more Canadian than an AR-15, relatively. I reckon you think Ar-15 is lethal. It all depends on who is using it. No Law abiding Canadian has ever killed anybody with an AR-15. Think about it. Ever. They have been in Canada longer than white panel vans.

That's an asinine comment. Clearly vans have a utility which is not about killing people.

Handguns have zero utility that is not about killing people. Shooting a target is not useful*; ergo something used to do so is not a utility or tool. (unless one is a police officer/military member doing so as part of their job)

Shows your level of maturity.

This comment just makes you as ass. I went out of my way to point out that comment was sarcasm; therefore not immature. Your response is one of childish insult.

For me its a firearm and not weapon, a tool a piece of equipment. I use it for hunting and target shooting which are permitted activities in this countries for centuries.

Incorrect on several levels. First, handguns, along with semi-autos haven't been around for 'centuries' ; for that matter, neither has Canada.

Second, you don't use a hand gun to hunt. Further if you need a semi-auto to hunt; you lack the requisite skill.

Target shooting for fun is a hobby; a hobby is not a right, nor a useful thing for society such as a cargo-moving van.

I have not argued for restricting single-action shotguns or rifles whose primary purpose is killing non-human, wildlife.

I have a right to my property which i have paid for with after tax income and HST. If government want o ban it I must be compensated for all I have spent.

I hate to break it to you, who are clearly under the misimpression that you're an American........but there are no property rights in the Canadian constitution; and when the government took over health insurance and hospitals, no compensation was paid.

I happen to support a buy back plan; but that's generousity on my part, not a legal requirement.

Again non-fact based lies. Trudeau government held a year long consultation with Canadian population majority were against such a ban

You know that the consultation was not a scientific survey or poll; all of which say the opposite, right?

You know that was self-selected survey that was hijacked by the gun lobby, right?

Of course you do.

PS, a word of advice, your tone is going to get you suspended or banned here. Calm down; and stay away from trolling posts.

Last edited:
That's an asinine comment.
This comment just makes you as ass.

When you have no rational arguments left, i guess its time for personal insults. I compared panel van to ar-15 not handguns.

First, handguns, along with semi-autos haven't been around for 'centuries'

Oh Really? Check out Colt 1911, one of the most common pistol. As the name implies it was in production in 1911. Can you not simply fact check before you spew statements which are not true?

Oh Really? Check out Colt 1911, one of the most common pistol. As the name implies it was in production in 1911. Can you not simply fact check before you spew statements which are not true?

Yes, really, 1911 is only 108 years ago, centuries, by definition starts at 200 years.

Also, one more suggestion in one of your posts that I ever lie, about anything, ever, and I will report your posts and ask for your removal.

You may disagree with me, if you wish, but kindly don't cast aspersions without foundation.

Also, as proven above, you were wrong, I was right; that will usually be the case if you disagree with me.

Handguns have zero utility that is not about killing people.

Oh my god. Are you real. what about the enjoyment which it bring to literally millions of Canadians who enjoy target sports? Also Olympic shooter. You do realize it is an international sport. right?

Oh my god. Are you real. what about the enjoyment which it bring to literally millions of Canadians who enjoy target sports? Also Olympic shooter. You do realize it is an international sport. right?

Enjoyment is not utility. If we pass a law against playing checkers will you argue with straight face how important that is, and the useful function it performs? Come now. If you enjoy it, that's fine. But its not a utility.

a buy back plan; but that's generousity on my part, not a legal requirement.

Why is it generosity on your part? Are you personally paying billions in compensation? buy backs are a scam to confiscate legal property from legal owners. People with similar thinking would do well in USSR with such authoritarian tendencies. But they would need a time machine to go back to the promised land of tyranny.

Last edited:
Enjoyment is not utility. If we pass a law against playing checkers will you argue with straight face how important that is, and the useful function it performs? Come now. If you enjoy it, that's fine. But its not a utility.
So everything you do must have a utility? do you need to buy a Porsche when Chevy would suffice. or might as well public transit.

If you are asking if i need a gun, NO. i don't need it. Its my discretionary expenditure where I like and want to blow money. An no one has any right to tell anybody what they can cannot do.

Why is it generosity on your part? Are you personally paying billions in compensation? buy backs are a scam to confiscate legal property from legal owners. You would do well in USSR with your authoritarian tendencies. You would need a time machine to go back to the promised land of tyranny.

I am done engaging you in this discussion. You are impolite and exasperating. There is no utility in further discussion.

I am done with this forum and thread.
I'm good with that. I would say you're not getting any satisfaction here.

A few things I've learned in my now 15+ years here at UT is to be intellectually curious and openminded, plus a little cynical. I am always questioning why I'm being told or sold something and am almost always open to being convinced of a new POV.

Last edited:
More shootings this week. We have on average about 1 shooting per day now.
Its just a matter of time before we have another Jane Creba tragedy

More shootings this week. We have on average about 1 shooting per day now.
Its just a matter of time before we have another Jane Creba tragedy
I think there have been a few innocent bystanders shot since the Boxing Day shooting, but none have been elevated to "tragedy" because the victims weren't young blonde white girls

I think there have been a few innocent bystanders shot since the Boxing Day shooting, but none have been elevated to "tragedy" because the victims weren't young blonde white girls
Jane Creba catches our attention because yes, she was a young white girl, not sure if hair colour matters. White people (WP), especially middle class, educated and home owning WP live a different life in Toronto. For the most part WP don't know of gang culture or of what its like to live in gang infested areas, have never resided let alone visited TCHC properties, and generally don't partake in or are victims street crime. Certainly WP can include violent criminals, such as biker gangs, drug dealers, etc, but for most WP this is a subset they would rarely/never encounter and can easily avoid through residing and associating with other like-minded and middle class WP. You can see that in my neighbourhood of Cabbagetown, where Gerrard St. and Parliament St. serve as demarcation lines, where almost exclusively WP reside. Gang shootings are seen as being from the other part of Toronto, the black/brown part, with WP thinking of the innocents shot at Danzig St., for example the same as they would the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar, tragic, but safely distant.

So, when WP Creba was shot by black gangstas whilst doing that most middle class young person's thing of shopping downtown for Boxing Day sales, that other part of Toronto reached in and touched the WP where they until now felt separate and perhaps immune from the gunplay in the city. That's why the media (owned by WP) and WP in general saw the tragedy. WP don't see innocent bystander deaths in gang-ridden communities as equal tragedies, since it's happening to other people. In every drive by shooting we immediately assume it's a gangsta killing another, and many people are secretly pleased that there's one less to worry about. The media itself, owned by WP quickly forgot the innocents shot on TCHC properties.

I would say that WP have returned, for the most part to their pre-Creba thinking. No similar innocent shootings seem to have befallen young female WP, so perhaps Creba was an abberration of the norm, that gang shootings are not WP's problem.

Last edited:
How many of those whom were shot were also killed though??

And I think another reason why there was so much outrage for Creba was because of the location of the shooting. Right near Yonge/Dundas, thats supposed to be the heart of the City and assumed to also be one of the safest parts of the City, and yet it still happened

Back