Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Alas, when I went there yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock, I discovered that not only does this supposedly 5 star hotel not serve a set tea but most of the staff I asked had no idea what it was. Considering that "tea at the Ritz" can be had elsewhere in the chain, why the lack here? The Four Seasons serves it seven days a week and the Windsor Arms, King Eddy and Royal York all do a tea.

I was met by gaggle of obsequious, uniformed boy greeter/flunkeys - grovelling outside the front entrance - and girl flunkeys fawning irritatingly as I swept gloriously through the Mother Of All Lobbies, though. I lost track of how many times I was accosted with "sir" this and "sir" that ...

I didn't know you were knighted.

Forget tea. You should have asked for Postum.

When I asked the guardian who was hovering outside the eatery at the south end of the lobby if they did a set tea she said, "Yes", so I asked how much it was ( most Toronto hotels charge about $40 ) and she said "$4" - meaning for a single cuppa. The barmaid inside the joint tried to convince me that I could assemble my own afternoon tea by ordering a cup of tea, a pastry or desert and a few sandwiches or whatever. That's initiative!

$40 for a set of tea? Why would anyone pay that? Even 4 bucks for a single cup is a joke. It's amazing what people will pay to look hip.

the Ritz looks good of course, but i think they went really simple on the inside. it looks good, but could use some bling. (tweaks)

EDIT:

and i guess this will be the go-to hotel in toronto now for international VIP's

Right now the pool looks like something you'd see at the Holiday Inn.

The pool area needs some immediate attention. By adding palm trees, paintings, and decor elements, the pool area could be vastly improved.

thats a rip off.. plain and simple.. i don't care one business need to and the costs..no excuse to charge that..they should have never built it if they can't reason with the cost of living its high enough there already and to top it off with that...some one should get the GM of that hotel and read these suggestions/complains..

Really not impressed with those shots. From what I've seen of Trump so far...

Trump > Ritz

Looks like a Howard Johnson....

700_9491.jpg

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/hy...s-newest-five-star-hotel/attachment/700_9586/

WHOAH!!! i just noticed... TEDDY BEAR!
i wanna stay at a hotel with a teddy bear!
TEDDY BEAR FTW!!! :cool:

but wtf. that's really random....
- it'll be hilarious if they put a little Chucky on top of every bed.

WHOAH!!! i just noticed... TEDDY BEAR!
i wanna stay at a hotel with a teddy bear!
TEDDY BEAR FTW!!! :cool:

but wtf. that's really random....
- it'll be hilarious if they put a little Chucky on top of every bed.

Shoulda had the teddy holding a box of condoms.

The opening ceremony was held on Wednesday February 16 at 11:30AM in the lobby. People mingling before the ceremony begins.

RitzCarltonOpen021611.jpg

The Master Of Ceremonies was Heather Hiscox, the host of CBC News Morning. Appropriate considering the CBC is next door.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(38).jpg

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(40).jpg

Opening remarks were by Tim Terceira, the General Manager of the Ritz-Carlton Toronto.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(26).jpg

The national anthem was performed by Chantal Kreviazuk

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(35).jpg

Then the speeches were to began but first it was announced that Mayor Rob Ford would not attend due to his recent health issues. Premier Dalton McGuinty was also a no show but a letter of congratulations from his office was read to the audience.

First up was President and CEO of Graywood Developments, Garnet Watchorn.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(45).jpg

Then we had development partner Caddilac Fairview's President and CEO John Sullivan.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(51).jpg

He was followed up by Michael Beckley, Senior Vice President of Lodging Development, Marriott Hotels and Resorts Canada.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(56).jpg

Next up was Bob Kharazmi, Global Officer, Worldwide Operations, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(57).jpg

A quick stop at the bar.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(60).jpg

And then back to work as the ceremonial ribbon cutting takes place.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(65).jpg

The event ended with the presentation of the ceremonial first key from Graywood to the Ritz-Carlton.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(70).jpg

Which was followed by the presentation of the first key from the Ritz-Carlton to the first official guest. The first official guest was Piers Handling of the Toronto International Film Festival. No doubt the Ritz-Carlton will be the hotel of record during the film festival.

RitzOpening-Feb16,11(75).jpg

And then the principals made their way to the ballroom upstairs for lunch. We on the other hand heading towards the subway and back to work.

This event was the official opening. The real opening to the public is tomorrow morning.

It costs me $2 for a cup of tea at Second Cup. $4 doesn't seem outrageous for tea at the Ritz-Carleton. Hey, did you notice if there was anywhere to plug in my laptop? I wonder if they 'd mind if I plunked myself in the corner to do a few hours of work?

Back