Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

TY TY TY... also i guess its by invitations only .. not ppl like us and will that be extended for how many days.. the grand opening..?

I know it's not 21st century enough and doesn't fit the architecture of the Ritz, but I think the interiors are too light and airy for this level of luxury. I want to see rich mahogany and silks everywhere. Crystal and gold adorning every surface. Opulence with a capital Oomph!

I know... Too 19th century.

Yeah that over the top opulence is so 19 century. New 4 and 5 star hotels don't have the grandeur like they used to.

I know it's not 21st century enough and doesn't fit the architecture of the Ritz, but I think the interiors are too light and airy for this level of luxury. I want to see rich mahogany and silks everywhere. Crystal and gold adorning every surface. Opulence with a capital Oomph!

I know... Too 19th century.

Yeah that over the top opulence is so 19 century. New 4 and 5 star hotels don't have the grandeur like they used to.

Couldn't agree more. This lobby's finishes leave me completely underwhelmed for this supposed level of luxury. The clash of warm woods (are they even warm? no!) with metal and glass, the minimalist furniture with only a nod to the more intricate curves and attention to detail of more traditional periods, that horrific chandelier and don't even get me started on the carpets. Fortunately, the Residences maintain a much more traditional feel (superbly framed herringbone floors) but if this is the new 21st Century standard for a lobby, can we please skip to 22?

If anyone is planning a visit to the Ritz....please ask them when they are planning on installing the exterior logos. :)

More pictures from inside the Ritz Toronto

700_9524.jpg

700_9491.jpg

700_9626.jpg

700_9617.jpg

700_9535.jpg

700_9591.jpg

700_9586.jpg

700_9656.jpg

More pictures here

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/hy...s-newest-five-star-hotel/attachment/700_9586/

Where is the luxury? Where are the intricate, tile mosaics? The wide expanse of highly-polished and patterned marble floors? The palm trees? The billowing, diaphanous, silk draperies?

700_9524.jpg

Now this is a pool area in a luxury hotel...

1213349584_470x353_indoor-swimming-pool.jpg

(found here: http://www.flash-screen.com/free-wallpaper/burj-al-arab_32158.html )

Or this... And this is only a bathroom in the Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai....

burj-al-arab-interior-bath_422_24721.jpg

(Found here: http://mi9.com/wallpaper/burj-al-arab-interior-bath_24721/ )

From the renders of interiors we have seen so far... I think Trump will have the Ritz beaten on luxurious finishes.

Last edited:
I have to admit based on the pictures I have seen so far, I am underwhelmed by the Ritz which is suprising.

I saw their condo showroom and it was very nice so perhaps the residences are in fact nicer as some have eluded too.

I agree with the comments that the pictures of the lobby suggest that it is understated. I understand modern but I frankly find the lobby bland. Perhaps in person it is more impressive.

That said, Traynor's pictures of the Burj Al Arab are way over the top and just simply gaudy. (I can handle the bathroom but the swimming pool is over the top and way too busy for my liking). Lots of money is not a substitute for good taste.

I believe as well that the Burj is a 7 star hotel and not a 5 star like the Ritz so I would not expect the Ritz (nor want it) to compare to the Burj.

Granted that was way over the top...

How about another in the Ritz-Carlton chain...

ritz-carlton-luxury-hotel-indoor-pool.jpg

(Found here: http://elyounes.com/2010/11/08/luxu...-ideas/ritz-carlton-luxury-hotel-indoor-pool/ )

Or something more sleek and modern perhaps? Then how about this at the Mira Hotel in Hong Kong?

luxury-indoor-swimming-pool-design-the-mira-hotels-588x386.jpg

(Found here: http://zeospot.com/luxury-stylish-c...rs-the-mira-hotel-hong-kong-by-charles-allem/ )

Easily I can find hundreds of more luxurious Hotel Pools than what we see at the Ritz Toronto. Seriously? Lounge chairs and polyurethane wicker tables found at any Pool and Patio Store plus white painted drywall? That is their idea of a luxury spa pool?

ZZZzzzzzzzzzz

It does look very plain. I've seen nicer pools in regular hotels. The service better be incredible because for those prices the quality looks very average. The King Edward and Royal York look nicer.

I agree with you Traynor.

The 2 more recent examples are far nicer.

I must say as well the hotel rooms don't look like anything too special. However, just because it is opened does not mean they won't be putting on further finishing touches.

I agree that Trump will probably "trump" the Ritz. I am hoping Shangrila will outdo it as well but I must say having seen a picture of the lobby for the condominium residences, it too is underwhelming. Hopefully other views will be nicer.

I would bet the 4S will be spectacular since Toronto is their original location and I believe they will want a showpiece here as the "flagship" 4S.

Finally open - I'll drop by there tomorrow, and give their afternoon tea service a full review.

Alas, when I went there yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock, I discovered that not only does this supposedly 5 star hotel not serve a set tea but most of the staff I asked had no idea what it was. Considering that "tea at the Ritz" can be had elsewhere in the chain, why the lack here? The Four Seasons serves it seven days a week and the Windsor Arms, King Eddy and Royal York all do a tea.

I was met by gaggle of obsequious, uniformed boy greeter/flunkeys - grovelling outside the front entrance - and girl flunkeys fawning irritatingly as I swept gloriously through the Mother Of All Lobbies, though. I lost track of how many times I was accosted with "sir" this and "sir" that ...

I'm disappointed by the lack of a tea offering. I was actually looking forward to visiting for just that reason. Perhaps they'll add it in time

Back