Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Track work will be complete in the next few weeks.

Only the centre section between the tracks had to be pour and asphalt place in the gap between the ROW and the road at York St on Sat. The rails between York St and RBC is ready to be pour. Once done, traffic will shift north so the missing section between RBC and the portal can be done.

Traffic has been moved to the south from York to Beer Store that rail is waiting to be setup from Paw Pow to Ress and then pour. Surprise no work was taking place to get thing done for Ress intersection that normally take place over a weekend to get the intersection reopen ASP.

The roadbed on both side of the bridge are going to be 3 feet deep with rebar frames holding them in place. All the rebar sections are on site.

The tracks and switches are in place for the loop with splicing taking place and will be ready for concrete to be pour starting Monday. Once done, then traffic will be shifted so the connection between the bridge and the loop can be done.

Didn't look west of Spadina to see where thing are for that area.

Looks like in the next week or so, the missing section of sidewalk between Ress and where the next sidewalk will be built as fresh asphalt was place west of the current detour for access to the road was place.

Concrete has been pour for the parking spots and sidewalk west of Simcoe with paving staring when they finish off the section between York and Simcoe on the North side. Only a small section to be done on the south side in the same area.

Hydro doing work where the York platform is to go and didn't get finish being built this week because of hydro.

Have photos, but 2,000 in front of them to be uploaded with last weeks shots in that batch.

Last edited:
ok .. they are assembling the rebar on the peter slip bridge ... that explains what they are for. Also I saw them working on Reese this morning, yesterday they were working on the loop. One thing is for sure - when the day comes that they have to dig up this road for whatever reason it is going to be a living hell with all the rebar underneath. Looking at simcoe - its about an inch or two of ashpalt on top of the three feet of concrete.

ok .. they are assembling the rebar on the peter slip bridge ... that explains what they are for. Also I saw them working on Reese this morning, yesterday they were working on the loop. One thing is for sure - when the day comes that they have to dig up this road for whatever reason it is going to be a living hell with all the rebar underneath. Looking at simcoe - its about an inch or two of ashpalt on top of the three feet of concrete.
Are you talking about the ROW or the intersection at Simcoe?

The intersection is the standard 1 foot of concrete.

According to TTC, the ROW itself is not be be dug up for 100 years and we will not be around to see if this is true. The tracks and top coat are supposed to last 25 years, but that is not true as parts of Queen St is having rail replace that was place less than 10 years ago at best.

The ties that sit on the base roadbed is to last 50-75 years and cover with 10 inches of concrete. The base itself is 18 inches.

If crews are working on Reese today, then they have finish York St which I expected to happen based on what I saw yesterday.

The roadbed at Peter Slip Bridge will be fun and games when it has to be replace and no simple task.

According to TTC, when it comes time to replace the rails, it supposed to be a few days compare to the week or so. You remove the top coat to get at the rail clips so the rail can be remove. Once that done, the new rail is place on the clip anchor plate and clamp down. Concrete is pour. Depending on the size of track being replace, concrete should be pour for the first area the same day the rails are remove and replace so say TTC. If that is true, then the work should take 2/3 days to be done.

I have heard there are a few areas where the new rail is sinking and haven't check it out. A number of slow signs are up in a number of areas where tracks have gone in the last 5 year. Bathurst/Harbour has a nice rail split. CNE loop has red signs, just a few places I has seen in the past few weeks.

Last edited:

According to TTC, the ROW itself is not be be dug up for 100 years and we will not be around to see if this is true. The tracks and top coat are supposed to last 25 years, but that is not true as parts of Queen St is having rail replace that was place less than 10 years ago at best.

The ties that sit on the base roadbed is to last 50-75 years and cover with 10 inches of concrete. The base itself is 18 inches.

If crews are working on Reese today, then they have finish York St which I expected to happen based on what I saw yesterday.

The roadbed at Peter Slip Bridge will be fun and games when it has to be replace and no simple task.

According to TTC, when it comes time to replace the rails, it supposed to be a few days compare to the week or so. You remove the top coat to get at the rail clips so the rail can be remove. Once that done, the new rail is place on the clip anchor plate and clamp down. Concrete is pour. Depending on the size of track being replace, concrete should be pour for the first area the same day the rails are remove and replace so say TTC. If that is true, then the work should take 2/3 days to be done.

I have heard there are a few areas where the new rail is sinking and haven't check it out. A number of slow signs are up in a number of areas where tracks have gone in the last 5 year. Bathurst/Harbour has a nice rail split. CNE loop has red signs, just a few places I has seen in the past few weeks.

Almost everything south of Front Street is unstable, it used to be part of the harbour. Most of Queen's Quay is landfill. That means it could sink down without digging down and putting in supports to the bedrock.

The Peter slip bridge doesnt look that hard - all the ttc removed was the top coat and then put the rails back in the original spot. The pain is going to be when / if that bridge ever has to be replaced. The approaches itself appear to be normal dirt for the top few feet then concrete underneath, I never saw them break the concrete.. Both sides of the approach has been dug out for the street car trench too. And on the bridge itself are these giant 3x3 or 3x5 foot blocks of rebar .. about 12 of them. They spent a better part of yesterday assembling them.. and i have no idea what they are for unless its for the approach of the road to the bridge.

The Peter slip bridge doesnt look that hard - all the ttc removed was the top coat and then put the rails back in the original spot. The pain is going to be when / if that bridge ever has to be replaced. The approaches itself appear to be normal dirt for the top few feet then concrete underneath, I never saw them break the concrete.. Both sides of the approach has been dug out for the street car trench too. And on the bridge itself are these giant 3x3 or 3x5 foot blocks of rebar .. about 12 of them. They spent a better part of yesterday assembling them.. and i have no idea what they are for unless its for the approach of the road to the bridge.

WT actually did all kinds of work on and under the Peter Slip bridge and though the rails have gone back about where they were the bridge structure is not the same. I cannot remember for sure but I think that all the bridge decking was removed by WT before the TTC put back the (new) ties.

WT actually did all kinds of work on and under the Peter Slip bridge and though the rails have gone back about where they were the bridge structure is not the same. I cannot remember for sure but I think that all the bridge decking was removed by WT before the TTC put back the (new) ties.
I have photos of the before construction of the bridge and the removal of material, but can't recall if any deck work was done to the surface without looking at the photos. I know a lot of work was done under it.

The ramp area has been an issue since day one and going to a thinker base will help the ROW from sinking as in the past, with fingers cross.

People forget or have no idea that the lake stop at Front St when Toronto was born and infill was used to move the lake edge to where it is today back in 1850's when the railway needed land to gain access to the water edge. One reason why WT ran into the water issue for the ROW as there is still part of the lake under the ROW.

It is also why pilings have to be deeper for building all the new buildings down there with thinker foundation.

People forget or have no idea that the lake stop at Front St when Toronto was born and infill was used to move the lake edge to where it is today back in 1850's when the railway needed land to gain access to the water edge.
You mean it wasn't just a clever name? ;)

You mean it wasn't just a clever name? ;)

The parliament buildings in the Town of York were located at the southwest corner of Parliament and Front Streets. Guess why Parliament Street was named Parliament?

first_parliament_buildings_0.jpg

Last edited:
no .. they never did any work on the actual deck.. My view looks directly over the bridge.

Back