Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Does anyone know the future plans around 320 Queens Quay West?

It's currently a large parking lot, though I doubt it will turn into a condo development since that would block out the iconic view of the SkyDome contrasting the CN Tower.

I'd actually be in favour of a condo development on that parking lot, so that the view of the Gardiner can finally be gone and the streetwall completed. I don't see how a park would be successful here when it's next to the highway, and just across the street is a much better park along with the future Queens Quay promenade.

I'd actually be in favour of a condo development on that parking lot, so that the view of the Gardiner can finally be gone and the streetwall completed. I don't see how a park would be successful here when it's next to the highway, and just across the street is a much better park along with the future Queens Quay promenade.

There was talk at one time that underground parking would be there with holding bays for tour buses and a development on top of it, as well some green space.

No idea where it stands, but most likely dead. Having a street wall here is the best thing for the area.

The area is lacking in good outdoor patio space in the summer. Harbourfront should be filled with outdoor pubs, cafes and restaurants, but there are very few. Put up a low/midrise commercial and retail development at the back of the lot just tall enough to block out the Gardiner and the front into a public square with seating for the businesses.

The area is lacking in good outdoor patio space in the summer. Harbourfront should be filled with outdoor pubs, cafes and restaurants, but there are very few. Put up a low/midrise commercial and retail development at the back of the lot just tall enough to block out the Gardiner and the front into a public square with seating for the businesses.

That's what is needed in the parking lot in front of Skydome, on Queen's Quay.

That parking lot needs to be replaced with a 4 or 5 level building (high enough to block the Gardiner but not the Skydome) containing retail, attractions (possibly a modern art gallery or some kind of museum) and lots of restaurants. An indoor public swimming pool or tropical greenhouse would be good option too, with a public square along the Queen's Quay side. (lined with restaurants/cafes, of course) Keep it tourism focused with lots of animation and relate the design to the waterfront. That is what I'd like to see that ugly parking lot used for. It's been a parking lot for much too long and parking lots do not belong on prime waterfront land.

When I was down there last week, it look like they were digging the trench for the ROW between York and Simcoe. If so, the based should be in place by the end of the month.

The final section of Spadina Loop will be completed in May with the switches being delivery to site this weekend.

They are doing doing the 3 pour for the top coat like I expected with the centre no pour yet. TTC still had a lot of work to the west getting the tracks ready for the next pour.

Sidewalk bricking is now going up to the retail entrances east of Simcoe St. Only a few small section to be done between Ress and the Beer Store.

The excavation between York and Simcoe was finished yesterday and looked just about ready for the pour of the base layer of concrete. It does not quite link to the section where track is already laid from west of Simcoe to the Rees Parkette area. According to the latest WT info they will start the next phase at Lower Spadina next week and finish that by end of may. http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uplo...notice___spadina_qq__april_2014_final_3_1.pdf It looks to me as though they ought to meet their August 31 date to reopen QQE and might even get it done sooner.

Next Phase of Spadina Loop Work Starts April 29: Crews will work over a 24-hour period beginning on April 29 to complete the excavation for the next section of the Spadina Loop at the Queens Quay/Spadina intersection. Concrete work will follow. The following traffic changes will be required:

• Lower Spadina: The northbound lanes of Lower Spadina will close early next week with traffic diverted to Dan Leckie Way. Southbound traffic on Lower Spadina will not be impacted.
• Maple Leaf Quay West Laneway: The laneway access (at Shoppers Drug Mart) will be closed on Monday, April 28. Eastern Construction will provide a west driveway exit for Maple Leaf Quay residents and businesses behind the 410 condominium allowing vehicles to exit onto Lower Spadina. This lane will be exit only – and it will only be available during this phase of construction. The east driveway entrance and exit to Maple Leaf Quay will not be impacted.

Track delivery and installation for this intersection will begin the week of May 5. Read theSpecial Notice to learn more about traffic impacts and overnight work required for this work.

Harbourfront Centre/Ontario Square: Crews will begin work on the tie-in of two splicing chambers located between the west driveway of the Queens Quay Terminal and Harbourfront Centre parking entrance/Ontario Square. This work is expected to be completed in the next two weeks. This will be the next section of TTC streetcar rebuild continuing west of York Street.

Ongoing Construction Updates

• TTC Rebuild: Work will continue this week on the section of track between Ann Tindal Park and the east leg of Robertson Crescent. Work also continues on the next stretch of the TTC rebuild from west of York Street to the west driveway of the Queens Quay Terminal Building. TTC crews are scheduled to pull rails for this section mid-week (overnight) and will begin to set and grade before the end of this week.
  • Spadina Loop Reconstruction: Excavations for the rebuild of Queens Quay/Spadina section of the loop are scheduled to begin on April 29 over a 24-hour period. Track delivery and installation will begin the week of May 5. There will be overnight work and intermittent closures of Queens Quay between midnight and 5am when streetcar rails are delivered. Read the Special Notice to learn more about traffic impacts and overnight work required for this work.

according to a document on every floor in my building: the spadina interesection will be done May 13 and the last section will then be done two weeks after that. Streetcar service will resume on August 31st .. but it sounds like the loop may be done sooner, anyone know if they plan on using the loop before the general relaunch ?

according to a document on every floor in my building: the spadina interesection will be done May 13 and the last section will then be done two weeks after that. Streetcar service will resume on August 31st .. but it sounds like the loop may be done sooner, anyone know if they plan on using the loop before the general relaunch ?

The loop cannot be use by 510 since the streetcars are being remove in Aug for rebuilding of one of the the 2 intersections that need to be rebuilt. Either TTC or the City could not get their act together to do both intersections at the same time, the other intersection has been push back to 2016.

TTC could return part of 509 streetcars to the loop as well the Ex, but may keep it buses to keep it as one ride for riders. Depending on Union Station, 509 could resume full service in July or before the Aug 31 date.

I think these dates are for the track not the overhead but, the loop MAY well be completely done sooner than 31 August but the TTC are also going to be doing more work on Spadina itself this summer so I think that's why the 31 August date. The Spadina - Dundas intersection will be rebuilt from July 14 to August 30 and they are also doing something in the Spadina loop itself,presumably at the same time, so Spadina will all be busses again after mid-July. (They were also going to rebuild Spadina - College track but that is now postponed, to 2015 I assume.)

Queens Quay and Spadina.
sHOipss.jpg

What I saw today, 75% of the roadbed is completed with 35% of the rails in place.

Only a small section at Spadina needs to be finish and a day or so away from doing it. Still got to make the connect into the loop to complete the loop.

They were ripping up a section of concrete between the first rails lay and poor for some reason.

They are still on pace to have the new ROW completed by the end of June with the overhead beginning of early July. TTC still wants to reopen the line in Aug to tie in with the opening of the 2nd platform.

Only a few retail entrance between York and Simcoe need to see pavers to complete that block

Back